SONY DAV-S800

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by wah, Jul 18, 2001.

1. wah

wah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I'm a HC newbie although I got my DVD player almost 3 years ago I finally took the plunge and ordered a widescreen TV yesterday with DD.

I was thinking of getting a all-in-one system as the telly doesn't support DTS and I think it would be more convienient than separates. I saw a picture of the DAV-S800 in a mag but am able to find out more info about it. Does anyone here know anything about this? the sony uk site doesn't have any info.

Thanks.

2. ScottGreatorex

ScottGreatorex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The DAV-S500 will be out soon and cost around £600, but the DAV-S800 will be out later this year, its got lovely looking floor standing speakers and (i think SACD compatable! aswell) and cost round £800. But i'll keep you posted.

3. Craig_Nike

Craig_Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are you sure you're not thinking about the DAV300 ? I am fairly familiar with the Sony range and I have not heard of 800 ?
    If it is the 300 a good mate of mine has one and loves it.
    DD, DTS, 6x30W amplification (5 speakers + [passive subwoofer - this amplification may be a little low for some peoples tastes, but will certainly light up your average lounge room!)
    The main negative I can think is for music playing - the 30W to the small front speakers may not be enough if your a music hound - but for Hmoe Cinema it does the trick.

4. wah

wah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Definitely the S800, we have had the S300 here in the UK for a while now and I know Currys (UK electrical chain) are stocking the S500 in a couple of weeks but don't have a date/info for the S800. I managed to find some german and spanish sites with some info but couldn't work out what it was!

Anyway, thanks for your info on the S300 - I was considering this until I saw the S800 :)

5. wah

wah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. wah

wah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks! - you're right, those floor standing speakers do look really sexy.

7. Craig_Nike

Craig_Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure if you've seen these - it seems to be some shots from Munich where the 800 was supposed to have been announced.
    I cant see the name DAV800 anywhere on the machine but it does have the integrated speakers everyone is tlkaing about.
    Could be either the 500 or the 800.
    http://www.annees-laser.com/

Sorry to post this again if you have already seen it.

8. wah

wah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  9. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Im really smitten by the looks and sound of the 800 too.
    My only concern is whether or not it can be set to multi-region to hand the RCE coded disks.

At the moment I have a Panasonic DVD-A360 which im quite happy with but I dont have any speakers or a posh tele to play it on. That is about to change in the next couple of weeks as Im getting a 32" or 36" widescreen (once I decide on the make and model)

Any info is greatly appreciated.

10. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Sony DAV is an awful piece of kit.

2 sets of analogue inputs. TV, video and satellite equals 3, so which one are you not going to connect up.

No scart. So no RGB and no pin 8 widescreen switching.

Limited upgrade path. If you want to replace the dvd player or it gets faulty, you lose the decoder.

Low output and low quality speakers (compared to what else you would get in the same price range).

Over priced compared to better seperates.

These all-in-one solutions are designed to be sold by Dixons, Comet etc by staff who don't have a clue to customers who don't have a clue.

There have been quite a few threads in here on the all-in-ones and nearly all comments are from people recommending you look at seperates instead.

11. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks again for the info Doubledoom.

I think the lack suffiecient inputs is enough to put me off.
    As for lowpower and poor speakers im no audiophile but the ones I listened to in a store the other day sounded okay to me, but like I said Im no expert.

Also, to follow up one of my own questions about the DAV-S800, it can be chipped to multi-region http://www.robertwhyteltd.co.uk/ are selling one for 679.99 + del)

Regards

Desticado :rolleyes: