1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DAV-S550

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by mobily, Jan 2, 2004.

1. mobily

mobily
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hello all,

I have seen this system for sale in Richer sounds for £300 multi region and think that is quite a reasonable price. I am just wondering if anyone here has any experiences with it and whether it is great for movies as that is what I would use it for, and probably purchase a seperate stereo amplifier for CD music and DAB digital radio.

Thanks,

James

2. DDDavo

DDDavo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok. Before i bought one i spent a few months asking questions. I then found Sony wanted to slowly fade them out for the new SC models so i snapped one up. However don't get one of those (the SC series), get a DAVS 550.

Firstly the SC5 is a replacement for the the Dav s550. The differences, the SC5 has scart. Instead the DAvs 550 (which i have) has composite and s-video and component (generaly you can forget about tha latter.) And of course, the SC5 has had a face lift but i am not keen!

My room is reasonably small, 3 x 3M and volume is ample. There have been isues with some people moning that the sub doesn't pack a punch. It does! Its a passive rather than active sub which means it has no power supply of it own. If i pump the bass up full (+6db) then music sounds wonderful, especially at high volumes, and at max volume, it is ear blasting. Remember though, i have a small room.

Back to picture output, i also have a small TV (i am unlucky, but i still live with parents at home.) And i use composite connection (the poorest quality output and my picture is great. Its a 14" TV though! I have been told by people who have large TV's (28", 32") that they use an s-video to scart cable and the picture is fine.

In movies, DVD's, everything comes alive. The Davs 550 has its name carved in gold for superior sound. The new Sony entry model Sa30 is it? It supposed to offer better picture quality but less good sound. get ther S550! Its great.

Just use an s-video (s-vhs) to scart cable to connect to your TV!

Ad you say, you would use it for movies, mines connected to my Keyboard, TV, VCR, and Computer.

It also offers great decoding with Pro-logic 2 and sonys own decoders. This means when you input a stereo source, simulated surround output is heard!

Remember there aren't any speaker stands. I'd reccomend the Alphason ones in Argos at £35 a pair. However, the DAV s500 offers fantastic looks and cinema experience, at that price, you can't go wrong. Then again, i love Sony!

(Do i sound like i am advertising the product here)

Anyway, hope that helps, if you have any more quireies, post below, i'll be happy to help!

3. andy572

andy572
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Phew!

I thought you'd left out one of the nicest things (IMHO!) about the 550, DDD - but you were saving it for the end, weren't ya? :D Yeah, I mean the looks. Being small of room (three by three metres again) and low on funds, an all-in-one seemed a good idea and this system was on my shortlist. Only a great deal on a Pioneer DCS-303 swayed me away from what still appears to be a nice setup.

Regarding bass, I guess some guys can't get enough :laugh: The very first thing that I did following connection of the 303 was to turn the bass settings way, way down. I really can't imagine what some people are doing to their brain and structural components of their house... Oh, hang on <thinks of younger brother and his 'turn it up to 11' ways...>, yes I can! :laugh:

Mobily, if your budget and room dimensions are similarly modest to my own (and DDDavo's!) then an all-in-one is probably a good choice. However, if you can stretch your funds and have a larger space to fill, you may find that you can put a separates system together which may well pass as suitable for your non-movie listening needs too. Of course, it'll probably cost rather more than the 550; but the performance could be more than worth the 'effort' and extra outlay involved.

Back with the topic though... Er, DAVS-550? Yay! :clap:

Oops, I almost forgot! If at all possible, give your proposed setup an audition. Obvious, I know; but it really is the best way as tastes can vary wildly. Whatever you settle on, just be prepared for the never-ending path of upgrade-itis! Oh, and...

Enjoy! :smashin:

4. mobily

mobily
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for your replies,

Regarding the passive subwoofer I have read some other reviews on the internet and some people seem to say that the sub on this system doesn't 'kick' enough. If that were the case could you connectan active sub to provide more bass?

Cheers,

James

5. DDDavo

DDDavo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, you may aswell go for a system such as the pioneer DSC 313 (i think) which does pack a punch of bass. The reason i didn't choose it was:
    A) I love Sony
    B) The Sony looks beutiful and not keen on pioneer
    C) Clarity of sound on the Sony was superior.

I have my Sub turned up full and i believe it to be ample, i have to be careful becuase of neigbours. They don't mind the noise, but they can hear the sub. If you go downstairs all you can hear is thump thump, however bass only comes alive, at medium + volumes. For movies, i would say it exceeds music playback, especially and so ample for your needs. If your room is bigger though, consider the Pioneer, i also believe it to be slighty cheaper. At the end of the day its what you want from a system. I wanted good looks, excellent sound and ample bass. Thats what i got!

Oh yer, on the active note. I haven't tried it but i suppose you could. There isn't any output (i dont think) on the back of my sony for connecting another sub. But maybe you could use the output for the sub supplied. personally though, the sub looks fantastic, and unlike any other subwoofer and to miss it out would be a great shame!

Hope that helps?

Oh, and yes, separates are a good option for getting what you want, but then price has to come into consideration!

6. njiri

njiri
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Get the 550..... you know you want to.
    It's fab.

7. DDDavo

DDDavo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hoenstly it really is fab. But as the new SC models from Sony are being shipped in, the Davs 550 is slowly dissapearing. To me thats a bad thing, becuase i prefer it to the SC versions. (Who needs scart when you have s-video) and the styling, well, its phenomenal!!

8. Yandros

Yandros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    We just bought a 550 for my parents for Christmas.

The movies we took up with it gave it a pretty good work out, namely:

Pirates of the Caribean (DTS)
    A Nightmare Before Xmas (DD)
    The Queen video collections (DTS remastered)
    Harry Potter and the Chamer of Secrets (DD)
    A Knights Tale (DD)
    Fleetwood Mac:Rumours (DVD-A but using the DD 5.1 mix)
    The Buffy Musical (Once more with feeling) (prologic)

(not my ideal choice for auditioning but you've got to keep the parents happy!)

Our own system for reference is a Sony STRDB930 Receiver with Mission 77 speakers all round, and a Yammy YST-SW320 sub (275W active).

The result...

Trust me, the S550 is a nice bit of kit. The unit and speakers are beautiful, only let down by a rather tacky remote. As for the sound, I was worried beforehand about the passive sub, and also by a very unconvincing demo in Dixons with the speakers in a row on top of the amp :rolleyes: However, we set it up in a room about 3-4m square, and that little sub kicked some serious ass.

Pirates of the Carribean was the best sub test, and we found ourselves turning it down more than once! (parents! *sigh*)

Music playback is excellent. Rumours sounded superb, although we didn't have the rears positioned properly, so the soundfield was a bit substandard. Incidentally I noticed that it has the same rather nice Sony surround modes as our STRDB930, so I felt right at home.

We picked the S550 up for about £255 and at that price it's an absolute no-brainer decision - a real bargain.

9. DDDavo

DDDavo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On about the remote, personally it looks great. However then buttons are really small and slightly awkward to press. That hasn't put me off because i often like thing because of styling (stupid aint I?)

10. 3george

3george
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could somebody confirm that the DAV-S550 has a component output that can be set to progressive scan ? I'm looking to connect it to my 32PD3000 plasma for optimal PQ.

Also - anybody know where these can still be purchased - cheapest as I realise they are in short supply.

Thanks - 3george.

11. mobily

mobily
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hello,

I finally decided to purchase one of these machines and got mine from Richer Sounds using the advertisement in what hi fi sound and vision magazine for £270 multi region. The advert is on page 203 in the bottom right hand corner. I think it expires on 14th Jan so get your skates on!

The system definetly does have a component video output which I have heard very good things about.

I'm not moving for a few weeks yet but decided to buy mine now due to their short supply. Good luck!

Cheers,

James

12. DDDavo

DDDavo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Checked my instructions. It can definatly be set to progressive component output!

Hope that helps!

13. Northerner

Northerner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Certainly does. I have the 313 and the passive woofer is brilliant. I'm using it in a large 5m x 5m "cinema" room in an old Victorian house. Watched the Two Towers extended version the other night and during the battle at Helm's Deep, her indoors came through from the kitchen (quite a distance away) to say the pans were rattling in the cupboards!

Apart from that the 313 has a digital optical input which is a huge bonus now with Sky Movies ( don't know if the 550 has that).

Not trying to put you off the 550 but remember this system is on the way out but the 313 is quite new and I'm absolutey delighted with all aspects of its performance:smashin: :smashin:

14. DDDavo

DDDavo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    AH AH AH! Sorry DSC 313 fans the Sony Davs 550 has optical IN as well!

I have the S550, but i did seriously consider the Pioneer as an alternative option. In the end, the looks of the Sony swung it for me.

15. mxs

mxs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    DAVS 550 = :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

16. mobily

mobily
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Can I just confirm whether the 550 plays dvd-r/rw's?

Has anyone tried a such a disc in this system rather than just gojng by the manual which can be a waste of time.

Cheers,

James

17. DDDavo

DDDavo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok. I just posted about this in another thread. The Sony models aren't intended to play DVD + or minus, r and rw versions of the media. Copy protection. However most do!