1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DAV S550. Multi Region ??

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Gerr, Nov 30, 2003.

1. Gerr

Gerr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know how to make this system multi region.

Thanks,

Ger:confused:

2. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    It needs a special remote or programmable remote or other device with programmable infra red codes like a pocket pc. You can rent a once only upgrade remote but note if the system crashes and does a hard reset the multiregion facility is gone.

Its annoying that its so difficult or expensive to make multiregion as the system features progressive ntsc output via component and what is the point of this feature if you can't play region 1 dvds? Unless of course Sony are recommending people buy pirate all region ntsc dvds but I sincerely doubt they are.

3. Gerr

Gerr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apologies but I am new to all this.

IS NTSC the american standard that PAL is the UK version off ??

Therfore if this is so it will support multi region NTSC disks.

I know I am a pain but do you know how to get a Toshiba SD100E to play NTSC and DVD+R

Thanks.

4. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    Here in the uk the television system is PAL and DVDs are stored with PAL format images and protected by a coding system called region 2. Region 2 PAL discs are only sold in europe and officially if you buy a dvd player in europe all it can play are region 2 dvds and region free dvds (non region protected dvds) also called region 0. So you may have a dvd player fully capable of playing NTSC (american tv standard) dvds but you also need it to work with dvds from other regions i.e. be multiregion. Sony owns television and film producing companies so they tend to be more difficult to play non region 2 dvds. Many chinese dvd players just need their own remote control to enable multiregion by kaying in a number code. Other dvd players both chinese and japanese designed often requrie a firmware flash but Sonys and a few others require special remotes. Lastly some dvd players aren't possible at doing multiregion at all or at least there is no solution known to making them multiregion.

So even though the DAVS550 is fully capable of playing NTSC dvds you have to hack it to enable it to play region 1 dvds from the usa.

Its similar to the situation with consoles where you can't use games bought in the usa with a standard uk console. To do so you have to find a way of bypassing the region protection like a modchip. The console may be fully capable of displaying a ntsc game but its the region protection that is stopping it from doing so.

Having a multiregion dvd player is preferable to a locked region 2 only dvd player because;

a) often the ntsc version is better in regards picture and sound quality

b) there may be extras on the disc compared to the region 2 version

c) it may be cheaper

d) it comes out sooner

e) you may have av hardware that is optimised for ntsc playback like some projectors.

f) the dvd you want simply isn't available in region 2 format.

5. Gerr

Gerr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for this.

Much appreciated.