Sony DAV-S550 DTS problems - help!

A

andyfilmfan

Hi,

Is anyone else having problems with playing DTS DVD tracks with the Sony DAV-S550 system?

When I play DVDs using the DTS track I experience faults at random points in the DVD. It can happen after 4 minutes or 90 minutes. The sound cuts off and the frame rate drops off until it completely grinds to a halt. The remote + unit controls are completely unresponsive. The only way I can continue watching or even get my disc out is to go into standby mode (this takes about 5 times longer than usual) and then restart the player.

No such problems have occurred in Dolby Digital 5.1 playback and its has reared its head on multiple DVDs e.g. Fellowship of the Ring, Terminator 2, Reign of Fire etc. Replaying the same section of DVD directly afterwards does not reproduce the problem, so I am sure it is not a disc fault.

Can anyone help me?

Cheers,

Andy.
(please also reply to [email protected])

The most common faults on 550s are either related to the dvd drive or a distant second being over heating. If you have a electric fan see if blowing cold air right into the back of it will cure the problem.

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure putting a fan behind my dvd player is the best solution, I don't fancy listening to the fan noise during movies!

If I had realised that there were reliablity problems with the S550 I would not have bought one. So much for What HiFi? they gave the system their "Product of 2002" award.

My system has a good few inches space on each side so it should not over-heat. It is not like I have it jammed into a bookshelf.

Can anyone else help? Or should I just swap the system for one that is more reliable?

Cheers,

Andy.

Err.. the fan wasn't meant to be a permanent solution just to diagnose and confirm what the problem is. Could be the fan inside the 550 isn't working if it has one.

To be fair to What Hifi if they don't have a chance of knowing if a system is unreliable thats only found out when end users buy them in large numbers and you can see what percentage have problems.

I have had the exact same problem. This has occured twice, both with DTS tracks. Once on Seven and also on Monsters Inc.

I have heard of other people having similar problems with other machines, also on DTS tracks.

Jimbolean

Forgot to mention. I don't think this is down to overheating as it has happened when the machine has just been switched on.

Jimbolean

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom