1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DAV-S550 any good?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by jon1800, Aug 15, 2002.

1. jon1800

jon1800

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I need to sell my current home AV system:(

We are expecting out first child and moving house, so i need to get rid of some equpiment / cables / speakers.

I currently have:-
    Marantz CD4000
    Sherwood A/V Receiver - R525RDS
    Wharfdale VALDUS
    2x Jamo SAT 300
    Jamo SW300
    Toshiba DVD - SD2109

I have been reading What HI-FI magazine and the Sony DAV-S550 seems a good package.
    It will do everything my current system does.

1) But will i loose volume, depth, quality?

2) What else is out there for roughly £600?

3) The Sony has no SCART facility, will i get poor pics through my TV as my Toshiba has a £75 scart lead to the TV?

Cheers

Jon

2. Salem Doom

Salem Doom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tis' a bit bizare that most of thesse dvd home cinema's dont have scart out put, but dont fear!
    They have what I call a phono out, this can be put inot a scart, like the ones you get in camcorders.
    Not ideal piture quality, but the best solution until you uprgrade your tv.
    The sony davs500 also has Svideo out, try using this, as it is the best alternative to Scart

3. jon1800

jon1800

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Amazing that they do not have Scart, especially Sony!

Im concerend that these systems will not play CD's too well, does anyone have one of these "all in one" systems??

jon

4. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    I presume by "phono out" you mean composite. S-video is a big improvement over composite. You can get S-video to SCART cables (or composite to SCART, like you said) - that's how I used to have my US Pioneer 606 connected to my Sony TV. I presume you mean that S-video is the best alternative to RGB (rather than SCART, which is just a type of cable (or connection type) that can carry composite, S-video or RGB signals).

Cheers,
    Liam

5. Salem Doom

Salem Doom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    pretty much every dvd plays cd, but the dvas500 can play SACD too! (also cdr and cdrw)

SCAD is a new cd format, super audio cd, and is likley to fail, like many ideas before it DVDA anyone?

I like sacd, its really good quality :) I hope I can eat my words on the SACD front

I would try ''composite to scart tho, it worked on my smasung dvd, into my Sony tv, maybe a bizare occurance!?''

6. Gambit

Gambit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The DAV systems don't have SCART out 'cause it's a euro connector and they sell them all over the world, so it's useless in foreign lands.

7. gimli

gimli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I wouldn't and I doubt whether anyone else would either. The Sony DAV series have s-video out which is far better quality than composite and as good (arguably) as RGB.

If your TV has an s-video input you need an s-video - svideo cable. If it doesn't, one or more of the scart sockets will accept s-video so as Liam says, an S-video to scart cable will be what is required.

If necessary I am sure you can sell your £75 cable in the classifieds.

The Sony DAVS aren't bad if you must have a spacesaver but there can be problems with connectivity as they don't have that many inputs.

8. jon1800

jon1800

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your replies.

I need to hear the Sony and im still interested to hear opinions on other makes (roughly £600).???????

Nobody has sung any praise yet for the all in one systems.

I also need to sell me exicting equipment (listed above), but have no idea on what to ask £££.. It's all under 3yrs old apart from the Jamo's........about 5 years old.

jon

9. gimli

gimli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :D :D

10. gimli

gimli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They are essentially a compromise between quality and size and the Sony models suffer from being overpriced.

You haven't said why you are selling your existing setup apart from expecting a child and moving to a smaller house.

If you are saying that you must have a physically smaller setup then have a look at the Yamaha HTIB series which consists of a Yamaha amp, five small speakers and a sub. You will have to add a DVD player to this but will end up with more connection options, upgradeability and RGB through scart

11. Salem Doom

Salem Doom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Aparantly the next model up the Sony Dav800, is great. I have read glowing reviews on said product, and hey, it looks nice too ;)

12. Boxster

Boxster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys, youre all missing the obvious, the DAV 5500 has a component video output with switchable progressive scan, great for the new Toshiba Strata tvs. I will be auditioning one soon.
    Sky plus box will connect via optical in and a VCR or my other sat box via the solitary analogue input. Best price seen so far is £479 with no charge for multi region.

13. Salem Doom

Salem Doom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Out of interest, is the Sony 500 multiregion by mod, hack, or is it ''out of the box'' just curious

14. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many of the magazines gave the old DAV range good reviews but that doesn't mean much as they missed some of the obvious flaws (like no RGB, no auto-switching etc). Sony speakers have never been up to much either.

15. jon1800

jon1800

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, it doesn't sound like the Sony DAV-S550 will be on my list now.

Shame, i saw it today and its a nice looking unit:(

Any other manufactures/idea's?

jon

16. Boxster

Boxster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Listened to a 550 today in the shop, far from ideal conditions, but dissapointed with the low volume level ( I could still hold a conversation when unit set to max volume using the Sony demo dvd) and lack of a dynamic sound. Sound steering and picture were OK. Would suit a small room. I will wait on the DAV 880.

17. jon1800

jon1800

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "and there's the nail in the coffin" :(

How come What HI-FI gave it such praise?

Should i look at the DAV-800?

jon
    :p

18. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 800 is way overpriced. Yes, it will have better sound quality than the 500 series but if you are going to spend that sort of money, you should look at some of the other brands.