1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DAV-S500

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by marcusf, Jul 23, 2002.

1. marcusf

marcusf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :confused:

I am thinking of buying a Sony DAV-S500 (or possibly the S800). Unfortunately, I have a wife that has quite a lot to say on what goes where and how it looks in our living room (Oh to be single again!!!).

Has anybody any experience/thoughts on putting the small DAV-S500 speakers on the floor without any stands? What would the sound quality be like with this set up?

2. rowbos

rowbos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Markus,

Me too!

But i think you need to persuade your other half that you should put the speakers on the walls...not on the floor.

Surely four small (very small) silver speakers in the top corners of the room are not so bad!

I pursuaded mine that this would be acceptable...so just work on her!

On the floor, the sound would be pretty dire i recon!

Steve.

3. cu_jimmy

cu_jimmy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why not get yourself some speaker stands,i got 4 sony stands for £150.00,pity its not a dav 300 your looking for id have sold u mine with the stands

4. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    My wife was the same at first, no large screen televisions, no room full of big speakers, wires all over the place.....just a perfect lounge, uncluttered and immaculate.
    Now she is totally different, the room is dedicated to the tv and hi-fi and she enjoys watching everything on a far superior level.
    One day, she said to me, look, the house will be here long after we are gone, who cares if the room is like a branch of Sevenoaks, what other people think doesn't matter, the room is a space to be used for our pleasure and enjoyment - not a spread for "Hello" magazine. Let's enjoy ourselves while we can, not put things off till some future that we may not live to see.

Speaker stands or brackets are essential to achieve the best performance. Do it properly, and you and the wife will enjoy your system far more.