1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DAV-S500 Sound Levels

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by GMG, Jan 10, 2002.

1. GMG

GMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I've just bought a Sony DAV-S500 home cinema system and Sony 32FQ75 TV. I've got a couple of problems which my supplier seems unable/unwilling to sort out.

1. I've connected the sound output from the TV to the DAV and can get a much higher sound output than when playing DVDs or music CDs. I would have thought it would be the other way round.

2. I also get a kind of wave effect moving from left to right on the TV when playing DVDs. It's most noticable on dark backgrounds and seems to be there on all DVDs - it doesn't seem to be a particular disk causing the problem.

Has anyone come across these problems before ?

2. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1 - This is normal. TV broadcasts do not have as discreet sound as the DVDs and the sound is more compressed.

2 - I would normally suggest you connect up using RGB scart but you don't have one with the sony. Are you using compsite video or s-video?

3. GMG

GMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply.
    I'm not using an S-Video connection although I was thinking of getting one with a Scart connector into the TV. I'm just using the standard connector that came with the DAV - I guess that's composite video.

Just to clarify on the sound issue. It's the TV sound which is much louder than playing DVDs through the DAV - that's normal though is it ?

4. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The fact you are using composite video is the most likely reason you are getting the waves.

TV audio is always "louder". Adverts are usually louder than programmes for the same reason. More compression, less discrete.

5. laurel

laurel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also understand that the advertisers specifically use a high recording level to make sure the punters hear the advert.

If your TV supports it you can tone down the output level from the stereo line outs. My old SONY adjusted this by trimming the 'headphone output' level!!

Some AV amps allow you to trim the input level individually for each input to cater for this very thing.

Cheers

Laurel