1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DAV-S500 SACD Playback Problem

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by johnnyg, Aug 1, 2005.

1. johnnyg

johnnyg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Sony DAV-S500 and until recently have had no major problems with it.

However, for some unknown reason, it has 'decided' not to play Multi-Channel audio from SACD 'Hybrid' disks.

If I insert (for example) Pink Floyds 'Dark side of the Moon' SACD, it plays it as a CD (stereo only). Similarly Jeff Waynes 'War of the Worlds' SACD does the same.

If I try the 'demo' SACD which came with the unit, it correctly plays the multi-channel audio. I also tried an Aerosmith SACD (which is actually stereo only, and is NOT a hybrid disk). It plays in Stereo, but IS recognised as an SACD.

It would appear that the unit is unhappy with Hybrid disks, and only sees them as CD.

Has anyone else experienced similar problems ?

Is there a configuration option on the DAV-S500 which tells the unit to only play the CD layer on SACDs ? I can't find one, and have tried pressing just about every button on the remote ?

Please help !

John

2. Tyhee

Tyhee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too have a DAV-S500 and have just experienced the same fault. With the SONY SACD demo disc I can play the SACD tracks with no problems. However when I try my new Pink Floyd DSOTM SACD, it only plays in CD format. I'm very frustrated and have not yet found any reason for it. If you hear of any soultion then I too would love to know what it is. I have tried to get hold of Sony but to no avail.

3. Sound&Vision

Sound&Vision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    might be worth checking the setup menus. Maybe hybrids don't tell the player its SACD and so it plays it as a CD. You may need to manually adjust it before playing. Pain the a** though. Thats the reason you buy a SACD!

4. johnnyg

johnnyg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tyhee : In my case, the problem was the laser pickup.

A friend of mine put me touch with a Sony repairer, who diagnosed the fault for me and I then obtained the relevent spare part (Approx £60), which I fitted myself.

As soon as I switched it back on, it correctly played everything !!

5. Tyhee

Tyhee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that feedback. Since posting my comments, I have discovered that when I put in a DVD cleaner into the machine, it jumps about when it plays giving a jerky unstable picture on screen. However when I put the same cleaner disc into another DVD machine it plays perfectly. I had already come to the conclusion that something wasn't right with the S500 laser pick-up and your comments seem to verify that.
    I suppose I will have to take it down to the SONY shop for repair unless you have any further information on the part I might need?