Question Sony DAV-S400 left channel - how to fix?

brandondwardcht

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have 2 Sony DAV-S400 head units. 1 works flawlessly, except after 10 mins the front left speaker cuts out, and if you wiggle the front left connector, the sound comes back but only for a minute or so. I think it is down to thermal grease on the front left, but have also seen it could be down to dry joints on the capacitors, but whilst looking inside the unit, the solder joints look fine. I have previously resoldered the speaker connectors and protection relays, which worked for a few weeks and now it's back to it's old ways. This is the head unit in which I want to use.
I also have another DAV-S400 as a parts unit on it's own without all the speakers, which has a non working DVD reader and the remote sensor doesn't work. The amp does to an extent, but at around Volume 30 it goes into protect only if the subwoofer is plugged in.
Basically, shoultd I swap the IC for the front left? I don't want to really mess about with thermal grease, I just want a simple quick fix as this is driving me mad... Also, I thought about swapping all the amp chips off the unit I want to use, over to the one that is for parts, so I can use it's amp board - if the capacitors are dead? But I don't by any means want to fetch that protect problem over. I'm really frustrated as I've got 2 DAV-S400s now that are not very good, I bought another one for parts but that was just as useless as the last. I'm comfortable with soldering etc but don't even get me started with the thermal paste...
Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

Please note this was repaired. It was indeed due to a dry solder joint on a capacitor that I found under new lighting. Ever since I touched that joint up it's been working flawless.

Sadly dry solder joints are a common problem with any electrical stuff. Its a good tip for anyone

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom