Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Sony DAV-S300, any good?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Bobby, Jan 27, 2001.

1. Bobby

Bobby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My parents have been bitten by the whole DVD, Dobly Digital Home cinema thing and want to get a DVD player. Unfortunately they've experienced my Yamaha DSP-A1, B&W speakers, Sony DVD player and 46" tv and expect to pop into Comet tomorrow buy a Bush player, plug it into there 21" tv and expect the same result [​IMG] so I said I'd hunt around for an all-in-one solution for them.

Only two I can find are the Sony DAV-S300 or the Panasonic SC-HT80 and Sony seems to come out better in most reviews but does anyone have one, if so whats it like? any good?

Multi Region Magic sell it for £499 pre chipped but can I get a cheaper standalone DVD player and speaker/Dolby Digital amp setup for less and still be of higher quality at the same time?

2. GaryJ

GaryJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bobby,
    There are other manufacturers of one-box systems. I'm stuck for space so will have to buy a one-box set-up (the wife said I could have one only if it fits under the tv!) The reviews all point to the Sony although Pioneer also make one, as do Onkyo. The down side to these systems is usually you get lumbared with their speaker set up ( with Onkyo's you provide your own speakers). Do you know if a different speaker package could be added to the one-box set-ups? Also JVC, Samsung, Kenwood, and Grundig all make 'hi-fi' systems with DVD players and DD decoders. Are these likely to be any use? or even any good? I can't find reviews for them anywhere. Regards, GaryJ

3. Bobby

Bobby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After doing some more research I'm edgeing towards the Pioneer box although a real downside to all these systems seems to be none of them use scart but composite or sometimes S-video, frigged for the UK american players maybe?

Theres a group test over on the Home Entertainment site, I won't post a link incase I get my wrist slapped [​IMG] Also www.multiregionmagic.co.uk sell them pre chipped with quite a bit of the rrp