Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Sony Dav S 550;New System/Advice

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by ibrox, Oct 11, 2003.

1. ibrox

ibrox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys;Bought a new T.V (philips 6517)etc including a DAVS 550 for DVD`s + sound.

However,when try to play a DVD encounter a loud buzzing from T.V speakers.

When I view T.V I use the philips remote to change the channel to EXT 1 and sound comes through the DAV when set at video 2 on DAV.
    However,whenever play a DVD using the philips remote change channel to SVHS2 which brings up the DVD channel, however a very loud buzzing comes through the T.V speakers and nothing from the DAV speakers.

What am I doing wrong or perhaps the question should be how do I fix?

Thanks in anticipation of advice.

2. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    Check your connections. The only things that spring to mind are;

a) you've not got any sound connection going from the DAVS550 to the television so that the televisions automatic gain control is going to the maximum trying to find some sort of sound coming int the same scart as the s-video signal.

b) you've got audio in (instead of audio out) on the DAVs550 connected to audio in on the televisions scart.

What lead are you using to go from the davs to the tv?

3. ibrox

ibrox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks bonzobanana for reply.
    The problem has now been resolved and another member chic has put the technical reason why on the T.V thread.

Basically the noise was caused because the T.V volume was on.
    Had to put the T.V volume to 0 and use the Sony DaV S 550 remote for all my needs except using the T.V remote to switch to EXT 1 for T.V viewing and when watching a DVD using the T.V remote to move the channel to SVHS 2.

Hopefully the system can now be enjoyed now .

Thanks again.

4. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    A normal setup would be an analogue 2 channel phono audio connection as well as s-video going to the television. This prevents the AGC circuit in the television being constantly high and also means you have the option of listening to dvds via the television speakers perhaps late at night or when the audio is poor on the dvd and will sound better from the tv rather than the home cinema system. Also this should eliminate the buzzing altogether because at the moment you are hearing the television trying to find an audio signal to go with the s-video signal when theres nothing connected. Of course you'll always have to mute the tv sound to play dvds properly via the 550s speakers but at least you'll never have to hear the buzzing at all.

5. ibrox

ibrox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    bonzobanana;As a complete novice i`m struggling to come to grips with the technical side of your explanation.

However,the only means of receiving reception is through my Sky Digital Box as there is no accessible T.V aeriel.
    Would this prevent me or be a reason why my T.V + equipment is set up like it is?

Since the T.V volume was rectified I`ve not noticed any buzzing.
    In addition the only person who really watches DVD `s regularly is my son but sometimes I admit he does this late at night.
    However,as system only been working 1 day it`s difficult to say whether playing DVD`s through the Sony DAV S 550 would bother the household.

Thanks for your reply and do I need to do anything + if so what?

I would be reluctant to fiddle with remotes or cables as I`m pretty useless and if the only negative effect is DVD playing late at night I could live with this.

Thanks for your time.

6. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    I don't know how your 550 is connected to the tv but assuming you have a s-video connection there will either be two spare phono sockets next to it for audio input or your using a s-video to scart lead which also has audio cables attached. Anyway you need a phono lead to go from the audio output phono ports of the 550 to the audio phono ports next to the s-video socket if your not using a scart lead. If your using scart then you might have two spare phono plugs doing nothing at the end of the lead in which case plug them into the davs550 audio out phono sockets.

7. ibrox

ibrox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again bonzobanana for advice.
    If my son proves a menace playing late night DVD`s I`ll action this.
    On the other hand if does not prove to be a nuisance then I`ll keep the status quo if not causing any damage to equipment.

I assume this is sensible as I really can`t imagine any circumstances where I`d want to watch DVD`s utilising the T.V speakers.

Poor sound on a particular DVD would probably whizz over my head.

Thanks again.

8. ibrox

ibrox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    bonzobanana;
    Could I ask what you may consider to be naive questions but I do want to get full use of equipment.

1.Using radio
    I simply go into another mode on the Sony to change station and use the radio controls which are situated near the volume controls.

2.Playing Music
    I use the dvd channel insert a music CD(same as I would a film DVD) and operate similarly to watching a film.

3.Which one is the eject button for DVD`s on the remote?
    Anything major I may have missed.

Ta.

9. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    I don't actually own a 550 myself but hopefully a fellow 550 owner will help you out.

10. ibrox

ibrox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for information and I am sure a Sony Dav S550 owner will post to keep me on the right track.
    I have found everyone to be more than helpful to date both here + on the TV section.
    Cheers.

11. PaulJ

PaulJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Ibrox,

I have the DAVS550 too. Points 1 and 2 you mention seem to be the right way.

The eject button is at the top of the remote. Cant remember if its top left or top right, Im not at home at the moment. Might be top left thinking about it. But the symbol above the eject is like a triangle with a line underneath it. The one at the other side at the top is the standyby button.

I have found the sound to be great on the system, although if your son is watching it late, I'd advise to turn the bass down it does tend to go round the rooms a bit.

I upset the daughter whilst watching Lord of the Rings. Her hamster cage nearly bounced of the table upstairs!! :D

Regards

Paulj

12. ibrox

ibrox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Paul J for reply.
    It looks like I`ve got the essentials right which is the main thing.

Items like storing radio stations which I`ve not figured are not that important and I can just muddle through by fiddling with the remote.

Radio use will not be that often in any case.

However,I ve got the TV,Sony Dav + VCR all working properly so seems fine.
    Cheers.