1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sony dav-s 500

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by mickeyc, Feb 12, 2002.

1. mickeyc

mickeyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive been considering buying a Sony dav-s500,as its had a good review and ease of set up as an entry model to home theatre.I wanted to hook it up to my Sony Wega 32FX65 but have been put off a bit as Ive since read that the dav-s500 has no scart socket.Has any one got one out there and can tell me the best leads to use and connections to use to get the best sound and vision.
    Ive also thought of going the seperates way and buying a Toshiba SD-210E and a Yamaha HTiB-40.
    Any thoughts
    Cheers

2. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Here we go again...

The best way of connecting the DAV S500 is by S-video to your TV. However, RGB is a superior video signal and will be available to you buying a seperate. The Toshiba SD210 is one of the best DVD players you can buy, and will perform far better than the DAV and even has component outs if you ever get the chance to use them. Coupled with the Yamaha HTiB package, you'd have a far better system than the DAV.

Do a search on these boards, as there as been a mass of discussion (arguement) over the DAV's and 'All-In-Ones' very recently.

In short, your second option is the one to go for.

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Check out the thread I started about this system 2 weeks ago! I didn't think it would cause such a fuss!! What is funny is that I still haven't received mine as sony are out of stock! But, I can help with the non scart question. The lack of scart sockets on the 500 don't seem to be a serious problem as the picture is apparently very good through a s-video to scart cable, I bought an 'Ixos' s-video to scart cable from hifi bitz for £22. Hope this helps. Cheers

4. Mitch2000

Mitch2000
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This subject has popped up quite a bit lately. However, I have had the Yamaha HTIB40 put together with a Yamaha S520 DVD since Christmas and I'm very very pleased with it.
    The Tosh DVD is supposed to be about the best and everyone is raving about it. I bought the Yamaha as its finished in black and compliments the Receiver. Considered the Sony when I was first looking but soon changed my mind as I'm sure you will. Try and find somewhere where you can have a listen and make your own mind up.

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I can answer this one simply! If you want a system that is easy to setup, sounds good and space is an issue, go for the S500. But check my thread out to find the views of people who have the 500, that has to be a good test!

6. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Simple is right.

Easy to setup? Seperates don't come flat-packed with assembly instructions. It's the same thing. A few cables here and there, turn the things on and there you go. Sounds good? The DAV may well sound good. However, the Tosh' and the Yamaha will sound incredible. Space? Seperates aren't the size of small cars. If you have a shelf, you have enough space. Check the threads of people with the Toshiba SD210 and Yamaha gear. Even better.

Notice how those in favour of seperates feel secure to say for sure, that seperates are better than 'All-In'Ones'. This is because this is true. Then notice how those in favour of 'All-In-Ones' do not say that they are better than seperates, because they can't. Instead they are always 'Satisfactory for my needs'.

7. mickeyc

mickeyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks.
    One more question. Im thinking of using QEDS Sqart cable but have read that its to be used in scart sockets that are horizontally aligned and the ones on my Sony Wega are verticle any reason for this? Thanks for the replys earlier.
    Cheers

8. Rock Da Bass

Rock Da Bass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +625
    Not an audiophile, so I can't comment on the DAV-S500 sound (sounds good to me though and anyone else who has been round to my house) but as far as the RGB connection goes, you simply don't need it. The picture on the DAV through S-Video is stunning.

If you do end up buying one, I would recommend unbeatable.co.uk. £450 (or £500 for multi-region) and 2 day delivery. (the 2 day delivery might even have been slowed by the fact I was getting a 32" TV at the same time)

RDB :)

PS This thread is getting rather similar to the previous thread regards the DAV-S500, ie. people who have one like it, those with separates dismiss it out of hand. Horses for courses etc...

9. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,183
    What utter rubbish been using QED Squart for ages now, and my SCART is vertical on the TV.....don't really see how the placement of the SCART can make a difference.....Where did you read this statement??

10. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I don't dismiss it out of hand. My mate has one, I've used it, tried it, came away totally underwhelmed (except with the price tag).

But, to try to stop myself turning this into a repeat thread, this will be the last comment I make here.

11. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, not true on a couple of counts.

S-video is good but RGB will be better on most televisions, particulary those of 28" or bigger.

Also, if your television is not fully NTSC compliant, you need the RGB scart to get round this if you wish to play R1 DVDs.

Additionally, not all televisions can handle Line 21 WSS or Line 23 WSS (usually line 23WSS will be ok but line 21WSS is often left off) but nearly all will handle scart pin 8 widescreen switching.

12. mickeyc

mickeyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I read it in HiFi cables.co.uk article on the Sqart,although ive since asked them and they have emailed me to say they cant see no reason for them to run verticle,but in the article it says"designed to fit edge to edge in horizontally aligned scart sockets" .It must be QEDs view.
    Any way thanks every one for their input.

13. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some scarts can be heavier at one end and over time, they can work loose. Maybe that was what they were thinking about.

14. Rock Da Bass

Rock Da Bass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +625
    Totally agree with that Doubledoom. The point I was trying to make was that the S-Video picture is so good (IMHO) that the lack of RGB on the Sony isn't really an issue, ie. you won't miss it.

As I said previously, I'm not sure how the sound compares (having no experience of separates), but on the picture front I can't fault the DAV.

RDB :)