Sony DAV-IS10: how good is the sound?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Dirtycogs, Sep 14, 2007.

1. Dirtycogs

Dirtycogs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone heard one of these?

All the reviews seem to say the sound is very good, but then qualify that by saying for the size of speaker.

Well, the speakers in my laptop are good for their size, but I wouldn't want to listen to them for long, so I'm not sure what to make of the reviews really.

Would the DAV-IS10 be a good partner for my (on order) Panasonic TH37PX70 in a room that's 4 metres square?

And how good is it with music?

Thanks for any advice or insights! :smashin:

2. THERAAAVEN

THERAAAVEN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    personally i hate all in one systems, but this unit to me is actually quite good, again for the size of the speakers - but the sub is huge. for music it sounds very good, but not as good as a stereo system but considering the size does an adequete job. again personally the sub does need careful positioning as it seemd too boom if near other objects and you can hear where it is when with bass should just fill the room, my opinion though

3. Kdot

Kdot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I'm interested in this, as I need to source an 'as unobtrusive solution as possible'. I have my stereo system, so only really interested in 5.1 for movies and Xbox360 (via optical).

Cheapest prices seem to be c.£500, at the usual suspects e.g. Superfi.

4. Dirtycogs

Dirtycogs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Think I'm just going to bite the bullet and buy one of these things. My main music system is upstairs in my office and I'm not a fan of huge telly sound anyway - I just want something subtle and discreet to get the most from films.

Off to Superfi, credit card in hand ...

5. Kdot

Kdot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Keep us posted! :smashin:

6. Dirtycogs

Dirtycogs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Went to my friendly local Sony shop yesterday for a listen.

It's very, very good. In absolute terms I'd rate the sound quite highly - and then you look at the little boxes. Nothing much is truly 'amazing' these days, but those speakers really are. Astonishing. And I'm not normally a fan of Sony or of all-in-one systems.

On my listen, the sub integrated very well (seamlessly, in fact) with the sats and there wasn't any harshness at the top end.

The system is well built too - the sats' casing is made from metal, not plastic, and each little speaker has real substance to it when you pick one up. Nice.

I'm definitely convinced. Next pay cheque, I'm buying.

:clap:

7. nevtra

nevtra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Low frequency sound is not able to be located by the human ear so position should be irrelevant other than the posibility of booming.:lesson:

8. nevtra

nevtra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would be very interested in any more opinions of this system. thinking strongly about buying one.

9. cat69uk

cat69uk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I've taken the plunge an dordered from Superfi, should be here tomorrow. I considered the Harmon Kardon for ages and decided 5.1 was the way to go. Fingers crossed this will be perfect for me. I'll update once I have set up with my Pio 507.

10. nevtra

nevtra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    please do let us know what u think. i'm just concerned that the speakers are so small that its just not going to work........thanks

11. cat69uk

cat69uk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Right turned up yesterday, heavy box which was a good sign. Unpacked and couldn't believe the size of the speakers, they are metal and quite heavy. Centre unit looks cool in piano black and sits nicely under my Pioneer 507XD, again the sub looks the business. Nice and easy to set up as all the speaker cables are colour coded, HDMI into TV and optical into SKY HD. Dropped in Cars for the kids to listen, the THX start up sounded excellent. Picture was superb, outputting at 1080i. This morning, put in the lobby scene of the Matrix and cranked it up......WOW... my chair was shaking, looked and sounded great. Have not had a chance to test any films on SKY or any music cd's. First impressions are very good, sound is unreal for such tiny speakers. I will report back once I have had more time with the system. Please bear in mind that I am no AV expert and have not sat down in front of a high class seperates system to compare. For me, spot on.

12. dietbruboy

dietbruboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, you've had this almost a week now, any updates on it? I'm looking at packaging this up with 40" D3000 Bravia / my Xbox360 etc etc... Are you still quite pleased with it? The one thing I thought of was the number of inputs, practically everything can output optical (ps2, xbox, 360, sky+ etc) - how are you managing this side of things?

Cheers, DBB.

13. cat69uk

cat69uk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Yes I have had a week, but been out most of it, so very little time spent trying out. I still have not put any music cd's on or watched a movie in full! I watched some HD ffoty ove rthe weekend and it sounded great. I went and bought an Elite on saturday and have been playing Sega Rally loads, but have not connected up to surround. I would need to connect the Elite via optical, but the Sky HD is using it? so I either swap out every time or by a optical switch(they are only £7.99, so I might as well). I will have some spare time this week, and intend to hook up the Elite, play some music and watch some films.

14. JBatters

JBatters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have almost the same setup as you (or at least the courier does).
    How many HDMI ports does your tele have?

I assume the Sky takes one.
    The AV takes a second.
    Does that mean you need a HDMI switch for the XBOX?

Any recommendations on where to get one if so?

Also, I'll have the same issue with the single optical in. (Sky and Xbox will both need it) Where would you suggest getting the switcher from?

Thanks,
    J.

15. cat69uk

cat69uk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
  16. spickles

spickles
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just bought one of these systems and set it up yesterday. When I use it the volume has to be set at about 55 which seems to be nearly 3/4s volume. Is this right for normal listening? Just wondering if I have done something wrong
    Cheers

17. JBatters

JBatters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Same as mine. anywhere between 55 and 60.

18. bodgger

bodgger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    can someone please post another review of this new system, I'm seriously thinking of buying. What's it like with 5.1 from sky channels and also with music cds. I heard the sub/amp has to be behind the TV/flat screen or very close, if not voices sound strange and not connected to the whole thing. I don't have space behind my LCD to do that, so I need to know.
    How's does it sound watching new channels ?

19. SC999

SC999
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Am thinking about getting one of these, had a bit of a listen in a Sony shop, but not exactly ideal conditions to say the least.

Could someone that has one of these systems give an idea of the sound quality when listening to CD's?

My alternative choice would be to get something like an Onkyo CS515 for music and a cheap home theatre in a box solution for films. But the Sony solution would be so much neater visually speaking.

Thanks in advance.

Si

20. Alpi Yilpi

Alpi Yilpi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DAV-IS10. great system, great sound and quality. Try it with TDM-NC1. I am currently looking how to unlock its region code. can somebody help? thanks

21. Larry7010

Larry7010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If your HD TV has Optical Out, recommend you connect PS3 via HDMI to HDTV, then take 5.1 Optical Out to DAV-IS10. This way, you get 5.1 audio to your DAV-IS10. As an added benefit, if you connect SAT/CAB via HDMI to your HD TV, then what ever video source you've selected is sending 5.1 audio to DAV-IS10 Optical input. Best configuration, I've found.

Now, my only problem with the DAV-IS10 is trying to understand why I have to turn audio level up to 60-70 just to hear it in average 12X12 room. I tried to run auto calibrate, it auto set db levels for all speakers to betwee 0db and +1db, which was not enough amplifiation. So I manually set all six speakers to the maximum amplification of +6db, well it got louder, but still I have to raise audio level to 50-60 just to hear it.

I read in some review that the physical constuction of super small speakers means the mid range frequancies come from the woofer box vice the small speakers, which means voice/speach audio - mid range freqs - come from woofer... that's different then most 5.1 speaker systems

Any knows for sure that having to it to +50 audio level is way it's designed by SONY, please let me know. Larry

22. theoldbill

theoldbill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Does anyone else find that the bass on this system is VERY powerful? If I'm watching a movie with the volume on 55 I have to turn the bass down to -3.0 in order to stop the house shaking. If I turn the volume up to 60 then it really does get a bit much (not for me, for the neighbours...).

At first I thought it might be because I had the sub placed behind the tv cabinet but I've just moved it and although it's a bit better, it's still very very loud.

If I had a detached house, I'd be happy as Larry but being in a mid-terraced three storey house you've got to take into account the neighbour's feelings.

Quality system though, if anyone is thinking about one I would highly recommend it. As long as you live on a private estate. On the moon.

23. Phill1978

Phill1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    gonna wait until there is 6.1 speakers at least two HDMI in and pass through 1080p 24fp also at least bitstream TrueHD shouldnt be too long and with speakers being a few mm bigger should complete the package.

but if they dont do that then i wont buy

24. uajamesh

uajamesh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

Finally bought one of these on the weekend. Impressed, but... I've used the auto-callibration set-up and all seems good except that the back (aka satellite) speakers don't seem to have any volume at all :( All the sound comes from the front speakers while the rear speakers play at a really low volume that you can hardly hear. Presumably all the speakers should play out at the same volume? (I've checked that the DVDs I used supported surround sound.) Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
    James

25. fishingswampie

fishingswampie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What volume you playing it at mate as has been said before the best volume seems to be between 55 and 60. :smashin:

26. uajamesh

uajamesh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I'm playing it at 55. And the sound from the front is pretty amazing. But the back speakers seem to be only on volume setting 10 or some such... I wonder if the auto-callibration messed up? or...?

27. theoldbill

theoldbill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I also find the rear speakers fairly quiet, I know that you can increase the volume if you go into the settings, not tried this myself yet but maybe you could give that a go?

28. churchin

churchin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Just found about about this ideal sounding system, £350 delivered and multi-region from the following link (don't know if the company is any good or not):

http://www.totaldigital.biz/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2351

One query I have though, and I don't think it is going to be the answer I'm looking for, does this have a headphone socket for late night viewing?

If not, then I will be so gutted as it seems to be almost perfect (an extra input or two would be helpful)

Thanks in advance.

29. conners

conners
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm about to recieve one of these systems, i was under the impression you could potentially have 3 inputs:

HDMI for the DVD's
    Digital optical for you console
    Digital coax for your Sky box

Can someone with the system try this out, or confirm it for me please. Im not a fan of cable adaptors (switching over sources to use the same digital optical input)

Thx conners.

30. kentish_lad

kentish_lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    You will either need a optical splitter or a converter because sky has optical and not coaxial digital output