Sony Dav F200 Divx ??

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by steveandlisa, Feb 10, 2009.

1. steveandlisa

steveandlisa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello,
    Please can someone advise if this sony system will play Divx from disc and from external memory source? Also was considering Philips HTS 6515 which i know definatley supports loads of formats from disc and external hard drive. Any advise please

2. RottenFox

RottenFox
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,289
    the sony can play jpeg/mp3 files off of a usb/disc, and divx/avi from disc only.
    the external storage size is unlimited though.

the philips only mentions divx/divx ultra with serial codes(when purchased,using code from philips cinema system), but can play them from disc/usb,along with mp3/wma/jpeg files.
    however the max storage space that can be attached to it is 160gig,and must be formatted to FAT32, as it doesnt support NTFS.

3. steveandlisa

steveandlisa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    wow, this is more complicated than I thought and both Manufactures seem to be a little misleading in their discriptions.

Basically the Sony is great at playing from disc but no support on the hard drive front(divx). Philips will only play discs with code and not from things I have already on my computer without code? will it play copied discs with Divx content from my computer without codes?

Do you recomend a system that is more friendly in these aspects?

Thanks again

4. RottenFox

RottenFox
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,289
    im not saying that the philips wont play .avi,or divx you have on the pc.
    all they mention is the code that comes on the cinema system, and how it must match up to the divx you have(so i assume you enter it into the purchase window, and then when its played on the philips, it much check to see they match).

can you take a cd into a store with an xvid/divx on it, and see if it works, as i cant find anything else on it really.
    also strange they limit the hard drive/storage size to 160gig.. i would have thought any size would do.?

5. steveandlisa

steveandlisa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    so conclusion is the Sony is probably the better sytem and will definatley do divx etc form disc and just forget about the hardrive option. Do you know any other systems that are known for their ease on compatibility with divx etc and will allow playback from external hard drive. I also read a review from trusted review that they tried divx etc on the philips hts 4600 and this was fine and could connect to an external drive. Would things change a lot for the HTS6515? (also reviewed on trusted review)

Philips HTS4600/05 2.1-Channel Home Cinema System Review - Home Cinema Reviews - TrustedReviews

Philips HTS6515/05 2.1-Channel Home Cinema System Review - Home Cinema Reviews - TrustedReviews

thanks for your help

6. RottenFox

RottenFox
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,289
    i would think then that they would both be similar in playback.
    as for the surround effect, i do note the review says its disappointing somewhat..