• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sony DAV DZ860W

catcher

Established Member
Hi all, I was hoping some of you might be able to help me.

I have recently purchased a Sony W4500, a Sony DAV DZ860W home theatre system, and a Sony BDP- S350 Blu-Ray player. I also have an Xbox 360 Elite and Sky HD being installed on Tuesday.

What is the best way to connect the system up – bearing in mind that the DAV DZ860W only has a single HDMI socket. My true preference is of course to get surround sound watching Sky HD /DVDs/ Blu-Rays and for gaming.

I would appreciate any assistance anyone can give.

I'll post a full review with multiple photos when I am all done – I just set the home cinema up last night, and can't wait to start testing out the system properly over the weekend.

The manual can be found here: http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/3283045111.pdf and I have attached the page from the manual showing the back.

Thanks

:)

Attachments

• sony.jpg
    sony.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 1,532

dwhite

Distinguished Member
Well the fact its only got one HDMI socket is irrelevant for what you want to do as its an output.

The real problem you have is the fact you have three sources of digital audio (Bluray, SkyHD and Xbox) and only 2 digital audio inputs on your amp. Your gonna need some kind of switch and possibly a convertor.

Does your blu ray have a Digital Coax output? The Xbox doesn't, Sky HD may if you get a new pace or samsung box.

Basically you will need to connect two of your devices to the optical input using a switch. (In fact with this one you could connect all 3). Then if your Bluray or Sky have a digital coax out you connect one to the coax input.

The problem you then have is the number of HDMI sockets on your TV. By my count you will need 4, I think your tv will have 3 at the most. So you probably need a Hdmi switch as well.

Last edited:

catcher

Established Member
Well the fact its only got one HDMI socket is irrelevant for what you want to do as its an output.

The real problem you have is the fact you have three sources of digital audio (Bluray, SkyHD and Xbox) and only 2 digital audio inputs on your amp. Your gonna need some kind of switch and possibly a convertor.

Does your blu ray have a Digital Coax output? The Xbox doesn't, Sky HD may if you get a new pace or samsung box.

Basically you will need to connect two of your devices to the optical input using a switch. (In fact with this one you could connect all 3). Then if your Bluray or Sky have a digital coax out you connect one to the coax input.

The problem you then have is the number of HDMI sockets on your TV. By my count you will need 4, I think your tv will have 3 at the most. So you probably need a Hdmi switch as well.

Excellent, thank you very much.

My Blu-Ray player does have a digital coaxial output, so I will follow your further advice – the TV has 3 HDMI sockets.

Is there any loss of quality by using splitters, and is the sound quality through coaxial decent? (To be honest, last night, I connected the tv to the home theatre using analogue leads, and the sound was still brilliant).

As long as the sound has the surround effect, and I don't keep having to plug and unplug – I'll be as happy as Larry.

dwhite

Distinguished Member
Well if you were just using analogue you should notice a world of difference once you switch to digital, as with analogue your just getting Pseudo surround by Dolby Prologic II processing. Once you go digital you will get the full 5.1 surround sound.

You should be fine using switches. BTW watch your terminology when talking about switches and splitters, its easy to get mixed up and get the wrong thing. Basically a switch takes multiple inputs to one output and a splitter takes one input to mutiple outputs. So you need a switch not a splitter.

As for your HDMI problem (4 into 3 won't go), do you intend to use your DAV860 to play DVDs. If not and you leave DVD playing to the xbox or PS3, you could save on getting a HDMI switch. Just use the DAV for sound and don't connect it via HDMI to the tv (you could connect by scart tho).

catcher

Established Member
Well if you were just using analogue you should notice a world of difference once you switch to digital, as with analogue your just getting Pseudo surround by Dolby Prologic II processing. Once you go digital you will get the full 5.1 surround sound.

You should be fine using switches. BTW watch your terminology when talking about switches and splitters, its easy to get mixed up and get the wrong thing. Basically a switch takes multiple inputs to one output and a splitter takes one input to mutiple outputs. So you need a switch not a splitter.

As for your HDMI problem (4 into 3 won't go), do you intend to use your DAV860 to play DVDs. If not and you leave DVD playing to the xbox or PS3, you could save on getting a HDMI switch. Just use the DAV for sound and don't connect it via HDMI to the tv (you could connect by scart tho).

I know, that Is the thing, I was quite impressed with the pseudo-surround quality, so I can't wait for the full 5.1 tonight.

The Blu-Ray player is apparently a very good upscaler, so I may use it for most of the DVD watching, I'm not sure if it is mutli-region (the DVD player is), but as you say, I may only use the DAV DZ860 as an amp for the sound processing and wifi to the surround speakers, and save an hdmi.

You are quite right, I need a switcher for the home theatre and a splitter for the television (to go with 4 HDMIs).

With the set-up you described above, I'm assuming I will be able to enjoy surround for everything?

Again, many thanks- I have always been a big AV fan, but am still a bit of a newb in some of the finer points of setting the stuff up.

dwhite

Distinguished Member
You are quite right, I need a switcher for the home theatre and a splitter for the television (to go with 4 HDMIs).

No, its a switch you need, not a splitter. Your not trying to connect to mutiple TV's are you? You could either get a 4 way switch to plug all your devices into then into one socket on the TV. Effectively giving you 6 HDMI inputs. Or you could get a two way switch, connecting two devices to the switch and the other two direct to the tv.

Yes with the setup I descirbed you will get full 5.1 surround from all your devices. Assuming you set them upto output the 5.1 surround via optical/coax.

catcher

Established Member
No, its a switch you need, not a splitter. Your not trying to connect to mutiple TV's are you? You could either get a 4 way switch to plug all your devices into then into one socket on the TV. Effectively giving you 6 HDMI inputs. Or you could get a two way switch, connecting two devices to the switch and the other two direct to the tv.

Yes with the setup I descirbed you will get full 5.1 surround from all your devices. Assuming you set them upto output the 5.1 surround via optical/coax.

Duh, I'm having a slow day...

Thanks a lot. I'll stick up some photos and a review once it is all set up.

daddy_uk

Standard Member
Hi Guys,

I would like to buy a wireless home theatre and I have seen that the Sony DAV DZ860W is pretty neat.

The only show stopper, is that I haven't been able find anyone in the shops that I have visited, who can tell me on how to connect the system with my New Samsung Series 6 and my PS3 all in HD.

Can anyone help me on this? So that I have my PS3 connected to my TV and sorround system in HD and my sorround system to the TV in HD?

D

dwhite

Distinguished Member
Can anyone help me on this? So that I have my PS3 connected to my TV and sorround system in HD and my sorround system to the TV in HD?

What do you mean by connected in HD? For video you will have to connect your PS3 direct to the TV via HDMI, and same for the DAVZ860, however the DAVZ860 is not a HD device, so will not give you high definition out, it may be an upscaling DVD player, but upscaling does not lead to High definition.

If you mean HD audio, then the DAVZ860 cannot do that as, you would need to connect your PS3 via HDMI to the amp. As has been stated the amp only has one HDMI output. You can get 5.1 surround sound by connecting an optical cable from your PS3 to the amp.

daddy_uk

Standard Member
What do you mean by connected in HD? For video you will have to connect your PS3 direct to the TV via HDMI, and same for the DAVZ860, however the DAVZ860 is not a HD device, so will not give you high definition out, it may be an upscaling DVD player, but upscaling does not lead to High definition.

If you mean HD audio, then the DAVZ860 cannot do that as, you would need to connect your PS3 via HDMI to the amp. As has been stated the amp only has one HDMI output. You can get 5.1 surround sound by connecting an optical cable from your PS3 to the amp.

Thanks dwhite. So basically, I can connect the PS3 to the DAVZ860 but not with HD audio. As you are very knowledgeable can you please tell me the actual difference between of having the normal 5.1 sorround system and an HD audio and what it is.

Also if I connect the PS3 with an optical cable will I still get all the dolby sorround features?

Lastly (apologies if I might be asking stupid questions) The way I should connect everything in case I buy this system, would it be:

1. HDMI connection between TV and DVD player
2. Optical between PS3 and sorround system (for sound) and then HDMI to TV (for video)?

Thanks in advance for you help.

D

dwhite

Distinguished Member
Yes your connections are correct, with that setup you will get 5.1 Dolby Digital.

HD Audio, is available from Bluray and possibly some games, and is basically 7.1 channels of sound compared to the 5.1 of dolby digital or DTS. I also believe it encoded at a higher bitrate to give you more quality. However, it only available thru the HDMI output, so requires a amp capable of dealing with audio over HDMI.

BTW. Thanks for the compliment, I wouldn't say I am very knowledgable. Just happy to pass on things I have learned since starting on the AV upgrade path and becoming a member of this forum.

daddy_uk

Standard Member
Yes your connections are correct, with that setup you will get 5.1 Dolby Digital.

HD Audio, is available from Bluray and possibly some games, and is basically 7.1 channels of sound compared to the 5.1 of dolby digital or DTS. I also believe it encoded at a higher bitrate to give you more quality. However, it only available thru the HDMI output, so requires a amp capable of dealing with audio over HDMI.

BTW. Thanks for the compliment, I wouldn't say I am very knowledgable. Just happy to pass on things I have learned since starting on the AV upgrade path and becoming a member of this forum.

That is grand dwhite.

So basically it looks like a 5.1 is a good enough system and the HD audio cannot be used fully yet, plus for a 7.1 system I would have to buy a new living room.

Last thing, do you think £300 GBP are spent wisely if I go with this system now that you know what I want to do with it?

Thanks

D

Thanks again.

Ibroxstu

Standard Member
Not sure this is the right place to post so apologies if its is the wrong place, and can someone please point me in the right direction.

I am looking to buy either the DZ860W or the DZ660 and wondered what the difference is between the two, apart from about £100.

With reference to the above I am getting a 40w4000 Bravia, one of the two home cinema systems above, a PS3, and SKY HD - presumably I will not have connection issues either video or audio, as the PS3 and SKY HD will go to the DZ which will be used for playing DVD's, and a Bravia will have 3 HDMI sockets for each of the three separates?

I have also been told that it would be better to play DVD's via the PS3 as this will be better at upscaling than the DZ - is this true?

Thanks for your help in advance.

dwhite

Distinguished Member
The Sony DAV range although capable combined surround systems with built in DVD, have limited connectivity for external devices. So although they are fine for connecting one or two devices for surround sound to it, you soon run into the limit of the systems as you start adding kit. Personally, although it will do what you want Daddy_uk, I wouldn't reccommend any of the DAV range. Do you need the DVD player (your PS3 will probably be just as good at playback). Are you planning in adding any other devices (SKY+, Cable, Xbox etc.) that you want surround sound from in the future?

Ibroxstu, This is the kind of problem you are going to run into as the DAV systems only have one optical input and one digital coax input. You have two sources with optical output, so you would either need a optical switch or a optical to coax convertor to plug both the SKY HD and PS3 into the DAV.

As I say this is my personal opinion of the DAV range, many people have bought them and been very happy with them. But from my experience when you start down the AV path, you are constantly wanting to upgrade and add new kit, with the DAV you tend to outgrow it very quickly.

Although not a reccomendation as such as I have no experience of the kit but a system like the sony HT-SF1300 would seem to a more capable starter system, it has no in built DVD player but it has three HDMI inputs allowing you to get HD audio via HDMI and 2 optical and 1 coax connection giving you a bit more flexibility in connection.

Remember its your money , so if you are happy with a DAV, then I am in no position to say you are wrong.

Welcome to the world of AV:thumbsup:

Ibroxstu

Standard Member
The Sony DAV range although capable combined surround systems with built in DVD, have limited connectivity for external devices. So although they are fine for connecting one or two devices for surround sound to it, you soon run into the limit of the systems as you start adding kit. Personally, although it will do what you want Daddy_uk, I wouldn't reccommend any of the DAV range. Do you need the DVD player (your PS3 will probably be just as good at playback). Are you planning in adding any other devices (SKY+, Cable, Xbox etc.) that you want surround sound from in the future?

Ibroxstu, This is the kind of problem you are going to run into as the DAV systems only have one optical input and one digital coax input. You have two sources with optical output, so you would either need a optical switch or a optical to coax convertor to plug both the SKY HD and PS3 into the DAV.

As I say this is my personal opinion of the DAV range, many people have bought them and been very happy with them. But from my experience when you start down the AV path, you are constantly wanting to upgrade and add new kit, with the DAV you tend to outgrow it very quickly.

Although not a reccomendation as such as I have no experience of the kit but a system like the sony HT-SF1300 would seem to a more capable starter system, it has no in built DVD player but it has three HDMI inputs allowing you to get HD audio via HDMI and 2 optical and 1 coax connection giving you a bit more flexibility in connection.

Remember its your money , so if you are happy with a DAV, then I am in no position to say you are wrong.

Welcome to the world of AV:thumbsup:

Thanks for you help.

Can I please ask if you would be able to help me with a few more questions?

I have looked at the HT-SF1300 and it looks a really good unit - I have a PS3 but if I was looking at a separate disc player should I look at a Blueray player, and if so which would be the best for coping with standard definition DVD's.

If I did purchase the Blueray (looking at the BDP-S350 initially), what would be the best method of connecting SKY HD, PS3, and Blueray into the HT-SF1300? Also would there be any point connecting the 40W4000 directly into the HT-SF1300 as I cannot see me watching anything through Freeview due to SKY?

One last question - although I am moving away from the idea of the DZ860/660 - is there a automatic optical switching unit available, or just the manual Toslink type?

Thanks for all your help.

dwhite

Distinguished Member
I don't have PS3 or bluray for that matter so cannot really comment, but from what I've heard the PS3 is a pretty good bluray player, so if it was me I would probably save the money on a separate player and buy some more bluray discs instead.

If you have a spare input, there would be no harm in connecting the TV to the amp, just in case. In the future, if you require this input, you can always disconnect it. I have my TV's internal freeveiw connected to my amp, but think I only ever used it once, but its nice to know its there.

Don't think there is any automatic optical switch boxes, (i don't think there is a 'trigger' any such box could latch onto to know when to switch).

As for connections the PS3 (and extra bluray, if bought) would connect via HDMI to amp then HDMI to TV from amp.

For SkyHD, there is a slight problem, as it only outputs stereo over HDMI, so you need to connect via optical for 5.1. Therefore you can either send the HDMI straight to the TV, or switch it thru the amp (assigning the optical for audio to the approriate HDMI).

Last edited:

Ibroxstu

Standard Member
I don't have PS3 or bluray for that matter so cannot really comment, but from what I've heard the PS3 is a pretty good bluray player, so if it was me I would probably save the money on a separate player and buy some more bluray discs instead.

If you have a spare input, there would be no harm in connecting the TV to the amp, just in case. In the future, if you require this input, you can always disconnect it. I have my TV's internal freeveiw connected to my amp, but think I only ever used it once, but its nice to know its there.

Don't think there is any automatic optical switch boxes, (i don't think there is a 'trigger' any such box could latch onto to know when to switch).

As for connections the PS3 (and extra bluray, if bought) would connect via HDMI to amp then HDMI to TV from amp.

For SkyHD, there is a slight problem, as it only outputs stereo over HDMI, so you need to connect via optical for 5.1. Therefore you can either send the HDMI straight to the TV, or switch it thru the amp (assigning the optical for audio to the approriate HDMI).

I have gone for the HT-SF1300 and will receive this tomorrow fingers crossed. Thanks for your help, after much deliberation I agree with you that I do not really want to be messing around with switchers etc, and to a degree (although probably not for long) I will have future proofed the system by having a greater range of inputs.

catcher

Established Member

Well, finally all finished with my set-up.

I am extremely pleased with the results, and am so happy I went with the DZ860w.

I pretty much followed your initial instructions:

TV to DZ860w (home cinema) via HDMI
S350 Blu-Ray to home cinema via digital optical
S350 Blu-Ray to TV via HDMI
Sky HD to TV via HDMI
Sky HD to home cinema via Digital coaxial
Xbox 360 Elite to home cinema via digital optical

(I am using a optical switcher for the Xbox and Sky)

Currently I am sharing the 3rd HDMI between the Bluray and Xbox (it takes 2 seconds to switch, and I need to switch audio anyway, and it is all nicely tucked out of the way).

The result is that through the HDMI connection to the home cinema, everything can be controlled via Bravia sync - in fact through Bravia sync the Sky remote can control volume etc for all devices and switch channels!

Glorious HD is pumping out from every source, the wireless speakers are working an absolute dream (with no nasty wires), I can also use the multi-region home cinema to watch practically every kind of CD/DVD/Divx/RW/MP3 combination and it upscaled well. The Blu-ray player is silent and the quality level is amazing (no noisy console to watch films), the Xbox elite matches everything else perfectly.

To be short, I'm as happy as can be, the only problem being, how will I drag myself off to work tomorrow?!!??

Here is the latest photo (note, the wires are showing here, but I have tidied everything up since!!)

img2409bj7.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2409.jpg
    IMG_2409.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 2,167
Last edited:

catcher

Established Member
It has been over a month now, and I just want to let everyone know that I am still as happy as can be.

I have received a few PMs recently about this unit, as it seems to be getting more popular. I am happy to reply to any questions, so I have bumped this thread to let people also ask questions openly on the forum.

:thumbsup:

Argylenath

Standard Member
I'm due to receive the Sony DAV DZ860W today, have had SKY+HD installed this morning, and cannot wait to get it all set up! I do have a Wii, and although I can connect a scart to the back of the TV and achieve a decent picture, I will not achieve the sound through my system. Should I connect my TV (Samsung LE37R88BD) optical out to my amp, to achieve Surround sound on everything, or should I connect the SKY HD direct to the Amp? Not sure of the best way to go

Cheers

dwhite

Distinguished Member
For 5.1 surround from skyHD you will need to connect via optical straight to the amp. Trying it thru the tv won't work as the tv will output stereo only over its optical output. Also as has been stated in this thread SkyHD only does stereo over HDMI.

Argylenath

Standard Member
For 5.1 surround from skyHD you will need to connect via optical straight to the amp. Trying it thru the tv won't work as the tv will output stereo only over its optical output. Also as has been stated in this thread SkyHD only does stereo over HDMI.

Cheers for prompt reply, still waiting for delivery tho :mad:

Argylenath

Standard Member
Well it arrived at 1830 last night. Waited in all day! A bit of messing about setting it up just in time for Heroes. Watched 'next weeks' on BBC HD through the sound system and it sounded (and looked) awesome. No turning back now. Oh, if you have Nirvanas 'Nevermind' Album, play 'Smells Like Teen Spirit', set to about 30 on the Amp, and listen. That intro......:D Happy Days :thumbsup:

case

Standard Member
Hello stu, having just purchased a DAV 870 KW and wanting to connect to ps3 like yourself i would follow dwhites advice and go for something different. Has he says theres no probs connecting to ps3 but you soon run out of options for other devices as ive found out. What i wanted was a HT-IS 100 by sony for the minature speakers and wireless rears but where i live (thailand)its easier to by warburtons bread, so i had to make a compromise and buy what they had. I never considered a blueray player as the ps3 does this, and well if you see any blueray comparison reviews so do you really need one:confused: Anyway as stated before its upto you in the end but dont compromise if you dont have to. GOOD LUCK :D

case

Standard Member
Hello stu, having just purchased a DAV 870 KW and wanting to connect to ps3 like yourself i would follow dwhites advice and go for something different. Has he says theres no probs connecting to ps3 but you soon run out of options for other devices as ive found out. What i wanted was a HT-IS 100 by sony for the minature speakers and wireless rears but where i live (thailand)its easier to by warburtons bread, so i had to make a compromise and buy what they had. I never considered a blueray player as the ps3 does this, and well if you see any blueray comparison reviews so do you really need one:confused: Anyway as stated before its upto you in the end but dont compromise if you dont have to. GOOD LUCK :D
OH BALLS DIDN,T REALIZE I WASNT AT END OF THREAD:oops:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom