1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DAV-DZ700 or Denon DHT-550 SD

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by mekonj, Aug 31, 2005.

1. mekonj

mekonj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Can anyone help me decide on the Sony DAV-DZ700 or the Denon DHT-550 SD? I had pretty much decided on the Denon until I saw the Sony one but I can't seem to find any reviews of the Sony system, can anyone help?

My main reason for swaying towards the sony one is it comes with speaker stands and plays divx but I want to know if it is any good!!! I have read all the reviews for the denon and it sounds great but is the sony as good??!!?!?

Cheers

Andrew

2. Xebec2005

Xebec2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I believe this model is with wireless rear speakers. A similar model (I assume) is reviewed in What Hi Fi this month DAVDZ500F,getting 5 stars and getting the vote over the Denon for picture quality and sound!

How much of an asset/drawback the wireless speakers are in performance terms I dont know

David

3. mekonj

mekonj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I saw that review too, before I read it I was set on the denon but after reading it and a few quick searches on the net I found the Sony model with wireless back speakers.

The denon does have a separate amp and dvd though, I really can't decide!!! They both have their plus points but there are also some bad points!

I think at the moment the SOny is winning but thats only due to my lack of money!!

4. MattyKHZ

MattyKHZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Don't you think that it is a bit dodgy that a new Denon 500 rival comes on scene just in time for awards issue.

Personally never liked sony. Wireless seems a gimick and Denon 550 with active sub, replacability of Amp or DVD and 6.1 ready swung it for me when I got mine.

5. snapper3166

snapper3166

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Sony............ splits the pack almost as much as Bose!!!!

I was in exactly the same Dilema as you pair, apart from looking at denon 500 not 550. If you're looking at the Denon then i presume that you dont mind the cables going to the rear speakers, if so you can buy the sony 500 as it is identical to the 700 apart from the rear speakers being wireless on the 700.

If you compare the Denon 550 to the Sony 500 I think the Sony wins on the price difference alone. It beat the Denon 500 and all the reviews say the performance of the Denon 550 is not worth the extra over the Denon 500 (no offence to 550 owners I;m sure its a great bit of kit).

I went with the Sony because I decided that I couldnt cope with wires everywhere (there is only 1 wire between the speakers, all the rest is built into the base of the fleft hand speakers) and I have to say that I am really pleased with it and haven't regretted my decision 1 bit.

I wouldnt worry too much about the sub not being active, i have to turn it down to -6db in the setup (which is the maximum you can lower it) otherwise it WAY to powerful. My only slight niggle is that it could be better for playing music, but both those points may be down to the room layout.

Hope that helps

6. Falp

Falp
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Denon of course... not even a doubt

7. snapper3166

snapper3166

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
  8. mekonj

mekonj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I can hear what everyone is saying, that's why I can't decide!!! I'm going to look at the Sony in the flesh this weekend as I have only seen pictures of it on the net. I know the denon already looks very well made and pretty damn cool as I've seen it in a shop so we'll wait and see how the Sony measures up to my taste/expectations!!

Thanks for all the comments though.

9. Falp

Falp
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Forget the Sony

IF you have to buy an entry level system get a good one like the Denon...

10. billandkez

billandkez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Had a look and a play with the 500 model today and sounds a great system. Was going to order one from on the net until I saw the earlier thread of the 700 model at £359.00 incl delivery from Pixmania, so I have just ordered it.
    Just got to wait for that and my Hitachi 6600 to arrive now.

11. Barthez

Barthez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53

hi mate, it doesn't say on the website but do you know if the dvd player is multi region?

12. mekonj

mekonj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I think they do a multi-region version aswell, might be a bit more cash though.

13. billandkez

billandkez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I don't think it is multi regional although I believe that it can quite easily be converted, as when I was looking to buy the 500 model some companies were advertising them as region 2 or multiregional for about £20.00 more.

14. Falp

Falp
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    maybe there's a software upgrade available somewhere in the internet...

15. bad robot

bad robot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +349
    I recently ordered components for a small but stylish looking system to go with a new living room decor. Performance has to be decent but looks are important too. Isnt this part of the normal decision making for small ALL-IN-ONE systems?

I had seen the 500 in WHAT-HIFI yeah nice looking system but noticed 5 stars, OMG it doesent have digital inputs, thats totally stupid. I then decided and took the safe bet, ordered the Denon this week only to find it was out of stock as was a chosen Pioneer 530 DVD that i had decided on too.

Anyways then i noticed the Sony 700 in my local store (what the fudge WHAT-HIFI dont even mention the 700 as an option, complete numpties) and decided the system would now all be Sony:

Heres what was chosen and, hope i wont of dropped to much versatility/performance for the brand matching and styling

Sony KDL-V32A12U LCD
    Sony DAV-DZ700FW PACKAGE
    Sony RDR-HX710 DVDR

Couldnt resist the new "Piano Black" Alphason stand.
    Alphason AD Series AD3-105-PB

The system carries a nice Black/Silver theme and everything should hopefully perform well, for me it was a slight compromise but will the 700 perform worse and will the HX710 be much inferior to the Pioneer 530 DVDR?

All in its about £2600 but buying local i know im getting UK components and any problems will get sorted easy or replaced. Having shopped there for years i dont mind paying a little more for the service benifits but still feel pricewise ive done alright.

PS I think the 700 uses a CD/DVD for firmware update, or possibly via remote.

16. DarrenB

DarrenB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just took delivery of my 700 this week, to replace my Sony DAV-SR4W....

The deal from pixmania is not multi-region, it costs another 25 quid more to hire out a remote control to multi region the 700....so add this to the cost of the 359 from pixmania....
    now beware the pixmania product is from Sony France so if the 700 needs warranty repair it has to go back to Pixmania france, and they send it on to Sony france for repair...so that may take lots of time...

So, i sourced the system from my old faves RGB Direct, 418 quid, multi-region and UK stock.

First impressions are:

it a great system , the progressive scan over component to my plasma is beautiful, the colours are much richer and the images sharper with no noise via progressive scan plus the sound is great - its easy to see why What HiFi gave the 500 those five stars...plus the 700 has those two important digital inputs, and is wireless like my previous system....
    The speakers are nice and solid and have a great look and sound.
    the Sub is a single 200mm drive unit, my previous sub was a double drive unit, but it still sounds good - maybe needs to be knocked down a few db's on Audio CD's.
    i like the idea of the separate wireless amp for the two rear speakers - a lot more versatile (with the DAV-SR4W the wirless amp was built into the left rear speaker). its S-DIAT again, so no interference, just digital clear rear sound....
    Super Audio CD's sound good - but, hey, then they do anyways! The display on the facia of the unit can now display the album information...
    My DTS-Audio albums play no problem.
    I reckon the DTS soundtrack on I Robot and pirate of the carrib sound nicer than the SR4W....
    Havent tried any MP3's yet.
    Havent tried any DivX discs yet.
    CDR's containg jpegs are much quicker to load up and scroll thru than the SR4W, plus you have more options to rotate and view thumbnails and so on....
    Its the same height as the SR4W so it fits in my Optimum 2000 AV rack no problem....

Only issue i have is that you have to disable the RGB output of the SCART to be able to enable progressive scan......because the RGB signal is interlaced only....
    Plus my Plasma will not autoswitch to ther Component input when I turn the 700 on...I have to select the input manually on the Plasma's remote....although the SCART obviously does auto-switch....

Anyone have a workaround for this...can i get my plasma to auto switch to a component input like it does to the SCART?

but all in all a great buy - now im just waiting for the X360 to start shipping!

Mr latte - hows the HX710?

17. bad robot

bad robot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +349
    Thanks for the update, I paid £435 for mine locally but as im in N Ireland id pay more for postage too.

Havnt got any of that stuff yet im going to wait till the Tvs in stock and get it all together, besides the room needs redecorated.

Reports on the HX710 seem ok so far one thing it might have over my original choice the Pioner 530 is allowing manual chapters to be set. Really im using the recorder for editing/archiving Sky then to rip to PC for multimedia database.

I hope its a decent player for editing/creating personal recordings

18. DarrenB

DarrenB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a panny dmr-e65 which i use for the same, primarily for archiving from sky+....I just wish i'd biught one with a hard disk in it now.....i like the idea of fast dubbing from HD to DVD-R.....
    I've looked at the new hard disk panny's but i really would like one with a firewire interface like my E65.....but they dont seem to do one.....
    the e95 would have fitted the bill but is discontinued....but didnt do dvd+R or RW like the new ones do....
    I could go for an e-85 but there is no SD card slot.......

I guess i need to look around....

now im off to play with my 700! LOL.

19. Scuba_doo

Scuba_doo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

i've just got the 700 from Pixmania!!

I've a few questions..

I only got one euro plug.. It needs two..
    the instruction manuals are in french,german,spanish & Italian.. no English !!

Really silly question.. do you need scart to scart to connect.

My Tv is HDMI ready so can i connect a HDMI to Component cable from tv to dvd/amp??

I obviously dont want to purchase extra cables if I don't need them!!

I've a ps2 that goes into component slot on Tv.. hence thought i could use HDMI on telly..

Any help be a life saver..

20. DarrenB

DarrenB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yup, you need two 13 amp, three pin Uk plugs, one for the unit and one for the separate amp for the rear surrounds...
    The pixmania 700's will be from Sony France. - hence the lack of English instructions.
    Dont think you can go component to hdmi - one is analog, the other is digital...you'll need to go component to component for the 700..just get a good component video cable and anjoy....

you dont have to have scart connected but remember component will not auto-switch like scart so you'll have to select the input on your dispaly manually...unless you have an RC that you can setup with a macro (like an all for one khamelion....

do you need to know what the steps are to set the unit up for progressive scan component out, if so i'll dig out the manual and go thru it?

21. Scuba_doo

Scuba_doo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Darren

I don't know what steps..

I've settled with scart, saves switching..

couldn't beleive no english instructions though..

Can i cut of the two pin lead and use UK plug on unit ??

22. DarrenB

DarrenB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, you can cut the lead, or you could use an adaptor. Either way would be fine - just make sure you get the Live and Neutral the right way around if its neccessary.

I'll dig out the manaul and post up the steps required to set it up for preogressive scan, the picture is simply wonderful....

23. demon of dirt

demon of dirt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mr Latte which shop did you buy yours in? was it multi-region?

24. bad robot

bad robot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +349
    Just my local Euronics.

Havnt even got it yet, its ordered with other bits and im going to be redoing the living room so be a few weeks prob before its all in place.

25. kevinsmith98

kevinsmith98
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    :mad:
    :mad:

1, It's essential you get the L&N the right way round -
    brown = Live,
    Blue = Neutral

2, Check the manual for the operating current of the Set - i would be very surprised if it were much more than a few amps. go for a fuse size just a couple of amps above teh normal running current. 13A is what you need with a 3kW load (e.g. an electric fire). the DVD Player will not use so much current as a fire, so will be safer protected by a more reasonably sized fuse, probably a 5A fuse will do the job

Kevin

26. Charan

Charan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Everybody,

Does anyone know if there are any wall brackets available for Denon DHT-550SD speakers??? I am thinking of buying this system but will need to wall mount them. Denon's website only shows floor stands. Thanks.

27. simon_marshall

simon_marshall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi Chaps.

V quick question on the dv700...

It sounds great playing dvds etc. What about if you're watching a movie, say on SkyTV. What audio inputs does it have and how have you got it setup to play all sound (TV/SKY) through the 700 in 5.1?

Thanks,

Simon

28. DarrenB

DarrenB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the 700 has both optical digital in and co-axial digital in..so you can go optical from the sky+ box into the 700...then you just select the 'audio' input on the 700 (this is the one that takes the optical input cable).
    the 700 then decodes the dolby 5.1 from the sky+ box on outputs it to its speakers.....

you also have L/R audio inputs so you can feed an analog signal in from tv or vhs player....

i have a one for all chamelion 6 which i've set some macro's up on to peform the necessary selections and switch audio and video inputs, one for dvd's, one for sky+..... :)

29. simon_marshall

simon_marshall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers Darren,

One last question, do the rear speakers need line-of-sight to the front speakers for them to work or can you hide them behind some furniture?

Cheers,

Simon

30. jamiek

jamiek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    This has been a really useful thread, :thumbsup:. The reason I looked at was because I am interested in getting an all-in-one system with wireless rear speakers and liked the look of the DAV-DZ700FW. So I downloaded the user manual from Sony to see how the wireless rears are setup. I quickly realised that they don't really offer me any significant advantage over the wired version(finding positions for transmitter, receiver, rear amp etc, in my circumstance anyway).

So, no problem, I'll get the 500 instead. I then discovered that the 500 has no digital inputs! I don't understand, why not? My intention was to connect my Sky+ via the digital coax but I would have to use the analogue phonos instead. Does anyone know how much of a disadvatage this would be over using a digital connection?

Regarding multiregion I have found the 500 for £354.95 from www.multizoneav.com