1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DAV-DZ700 and the future.

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by stormy, Oct 27, 2005.

1. stormy

stormy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Hi, :hiya:

I am new to the forums, so please be gentle with me. I am moving house very shortly and afterwards will want to buy a decent although not crippling AV/TV setup. I am not sure this is the best sub forum to post on but decided here as its mainly to do with the Sony. So I apologise in advance.

I like the look of the DAV-DZ700 but most of the newer DVD players all seem to be going the HDMI route which the Sony doesnt support. I am currently looking at this coupled with a Panasonic LCD TX-32LXD500.

Its not a problem in the short term for me as I am sure the Sony will be fine, however. When HD-DVD/Blueray come along and of course Sky HDTV I could then run into problems.

The Panasonic has one HDMI connection, which would mean swapping the HDMI from Sky <> HD-DVD player.

I assume I could still use the Sony for the surround, either on optical or coax for both Sky and HD-DVD. I would still however have the swaping HDMI connections problem.

Is this all plausable, or is there a better way?

I think going the old seperate routes would really blow my bank balance, I think around ~£2000 for both is enough. :)

Thanks for any advice,

Mike

2. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    When blue ray and HD-DVD comes along, its gonna be a whole new start for most people, as there will be a need to have a processor/amp that can decode the new audio formats, as well as a new player to play the discs, no all in one system is gonna be able to acomidate this really, only amps with multichannel ins will probably be future proof, but even then the price of the decoder may be so much that people just buy a new amp too.

3. stormy

stormy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Thanks, so that makes now probably the worst time to be investing money in AV stuff :(

4. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    Its always the worst time, there is always somertimg arround the corner. If you refused to invest in a dvd player when dvd recorders first came out and also refused to pay more than £200 you would have waited until last year to even play dvd's. In other words the new tsch is coming out but will be very expensive at least for the first one or 2 years.

My advise to to by the best system that meets your needs now and any others that you can forsee and enjoy watching some movies.

5. Freelancer

Freelancer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    stormeh, i'm in exactly the same position as you as i have the same LCD screen. I was also contemplating the Sony unit.. but i'm not sure. To be honest, in the future there is always the possibility of buying an HDMI switchbox to hock up to the panny.

I think maybe a seperates route might be better though. As for one, decent speakers will last. The AV reciever should allow many component connections - and component can carry Hi-def signals.

I might not even get Sky HD until MUCH later though, but what i know i'll get sooner is the next gen games console (probably the PS3) and that will most likely come with a component connection rather than HMDI. So going the seperates route and buying an amp to plug all these into via component might be the best option for the longer term. I'd then use the HD input on the panny solely for HD upscaling DVD players (like the Denon 1920) if i ever get one.

6. ash

ash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +383
    Got a question, I will be using the DAV700 which I hope to get, for my sound system. The SkyHD box will ahve coaxial out right? The audio would not be in a different format right?

7. stormy

stormy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    gaz, thanks for the wise words. You are right and comon sense rules I think :)

freelancer, yep. I pretty much think the same as you. I do like the Sony though and its a good price, I will find it difficult to beat the price. Looking at seperates and speaker setups I can't find anything I a) like the look of and b) could afford comfortably over the Sony.

I suppose that at least with he Sony 700 with optical and coax in, then it will be able to be used for some time to come even if you end up hooking up the HDMI Sky/DVD etc direct to the LCD as you describe and taking the Audio via the optical/coax.

I would be suprised if optical and coax would become redundant overnight. Like Gaz says, for HD-DVD and Blueray its probably a whole new ball game. I will probably have to wait a fair while for the prices to drop to my level anyway.

According to specifications I have read on the PS3 it will support both HDMI and optical out, in which case the Sony should be fine. :)

ash, I would think that would be the case but I am not sure anyone really knows. I would hope that would be the case!

Cheers,

Mike