1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sony dav-DZ300 or samsung ht-up30?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by twebbas, Aug 30, 2005.

1. twebbas

twebbas
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all.

I'm going to buy an integrated system for my bedroom. But which should I choose? Sony DAV-DZ300 for £217 at http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/99246/art/sony/dav-dz300-divx-home-cinem.html or Samsung HT-UP30 for £158 at
    http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/102785/art/samsung/ht-up30-home-cinema-syste.html.

My question is then. Should I bet on a Samsung HT-up30 or the more expensive one Samsung HT-TP33? (£220) (http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/102781/art/samsung/ht-tp33-dvd-divx-usb-home.html) Or perhaps some of Sonys DAV-system for maximum £290?

I wanna place the upper limit at £290. The DVD should be able to handle divx and xvid. I have a friend whos got a Philips DVD thats supposed to handle these formats, but in reality it hardly does. Best option would be if the DVD could be upgraded through firmware.

The both systems from Samsung mentioned here are rather new (from may this year). I don't know how old Sonys systems are. The Samsung models also has an usb-connection, by which you can connect a harddrive, mp3player etc and for instance watch movies, pictures and listen to music right from it.

At last, but not least, I found an interesting story, but I'm kinda sceptical about it. See for yourselves:

http://www.madenor.com/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=4214

How good can this be? Its either plain crap, or the best ever.. ;)

2. snapper3166

snapper3166

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    I have just bought the Sony DAV-DZ700 after it won the What Hi-Fi award by narrowly beating the denon 500 (Gave up trying to find somewhere that could demo both items!) and i think it's similar to the 300 you are looking at

All i can say is that if Divx is important to you the Sony is useless, I'm really disappointed, i am yet to find a DixX (avi) file that it WILL play!!! Its madness, my friend has a dvd player that he bought for £29.99 from Aldi and it plays everything!!!!

Unless I'm missing something.......................... please feel free to correct me!!

3. twebbas

twebbas
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ok. Thanks for sharing the info. Seems like good old Sony is out of the picture then.. Guess I'll go with Samsung.

Or has anyone tried that new spanish AIRIS Wireless 5.1+DVDRW
    as I mentioned in the first post?

Seems like kinda crappy.. but hey. What do I know. :)
    By the way. It seems like the page has turned swedish, so for you that don't speak swedish I'll do a quick translate of:

http://www.madenor.com/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=4214

AIRIS Wireless 5.1+DVDRW

Plays DVD Video, SVCD, VCD, CD Audio, MP3, JPEG, Kodak Picture CD and MPEG-4.
    Recordable, Records on DVD+ R/RW discs.
    Compatible with CDR/RW and DVD±R/RW.
    Plays PAL and NTSC discs.
    Euro-connector Scart, Optical Digital OUT och Coax.
    Dolby Digital 5.1 Decoder, DTS compatible.
    Upgradeable Firmware.

Speakers:
    - Effect: 80W.
    - Satellites: 10W RMS 6 Ohms x 5.
    - Subwoofer: 30W RMS 6 Ohms.
    - Wireless Frequence 860 MHz.

Dimensions:
    - Subwoofer: 170 x 300 x 290 mm.
    - Front: 90 x 140 x 102 mm.
    - Center and Rear: 180 x 90 x 102 mm.

This at a price of £ 223.93.

Rather small speakers I think. But kinda cool being wireless and being able to record though.. :clap:

4. snapper3166

snapper3166

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    If DivX is that important to you (which it seems to be as you've dropped the sony because of it) I would go and take some DivX films to the shop and try the samsung because i cant say that its any better (or possible worse) than the sony as i've never tried the samsung

5. twebbas

twebbas
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ok. Guess Ill have to do that then. :thumbsup:

snapper3166, whats ur opinion about that AIRIS Wireless 5.1+DVDRW ? ;)

6. daz1976

daz1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Hi twebbas

Was just trawling and saw your post. I had the Samsung for about half an hour, and reason being that the sound was so boxy it was unbelieveable. I know you are after DIVX support but I ended up getting the yamaha DVX-S200 and the sound was another world.

Cheers

Daz

7. snapper3166

snapper3166

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    I haven't heard it but the main problem I see from casting my eye over the specs is that it only has 80 watts RMS in total, each speaker on the sony has more than that. I know wattage does not tell the whole story but i suppose you would have to listen to one first as it looks very expensive for the output........ In my limited knowledge! but a fantasic idea