• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sony DAV-DZ260 - HDMI Cable and Dolby Digital Sound

scottcru

Standard Member
Hi,

I hope someone can help me. This is my first venture into the exciting world of Home Cinema and would appreciate your advice.

I have just bought and installed a Sony DAV-DZ260 5.1 ch - DVD Home Cinema System with my Samsung PS42Q97HD 42" Plasma TV.

I have set the system up with my SKY HD and Xbox 360 as follows :

Xbox 360 -> TV [Connected by HDMI cable]

Sky HD -> TV [Connected by HDMI cable]

Sony DVD/AV -> TV [Connected by HDMI cable]

TV -> Sony DVD/AV [Connected by optical cable from Optical Out in TV into Optical In on Sony]

The sound seems to be working fine, but I want to know if the HDMI cables are restricting the sound quality in any way, or not delivering true Dolby Digital sound from the xbox and Sky box (when a programme is transmitted in DD). I have set the decoding mode on the Sony AV to Dolby Pro Logic.

If the HDMI cables do restrict the sound quality what would you suggest - use of opitcal cables from the Sky and Xbox 360 into the Sony AV with the use of a optical switcher ?

Regards,

Scott

dwhite

Distinguished Member
Two problems really.

1 The optical output from your TV will be stereo only.

2 Sky HD only outputs stereo over HDMI, for 5.1 you need to connect by optical.

In fact as the DAV doesn't have any HDMI inputs you have to connect all your sources via optical to it to get full 5.1 surround. It only has one optical input so your gonna need a optical switch.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom