Sony DAV DZ230 Audio Help Please

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by clunes82, Sep 12, 2007.

1. clunes82

clunes82

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All

Ive just purcahsed the Sony DAV DZ230 yesterday on reccomendation from the Gadget Show (Channel 5). Ive connected the system up to my goodmans HD TV via the HDMI sockets. Watched Top Gun and it was brilliant.

The problem is that i have a telewest (now Virgin) set top box that i watch tv on (connected to tv with scart) but when i switch the Sony DAV to TV function i can't get the sound to come through the six speakers.

I've read a few threads on here and understand that a lack of optical in socket is the big problem.

If i connect the Sony DAV to my TV through a scart will the sound come through the six speakers? Presumably when i want to watch a DVD at the better quality i can just unplug the scart and reconnect the HDMI?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers

2. RottenFox

RottenFox
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,289
    you would be wanting to connect the virgin box to the tv,with a scart.
    and also connect the virgin box to the surround system,with the red/white phonos(should be audio out on the virgin box,and audio in's on the surround).
    if the surround system doesnt have audio in's,then theres not much you could do.
    connecting the sony surround to the tv,with a scart will give you nothing at all.
    you need to connect the virgin box audio,to the surround audio in..thats the only way to get surround from the cable box.

3. clunes82

clunes82

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers, the virgin box has phon out sockets (red & white) but the Sony DAV doesn't have any. It does have a Audio In / A.CAL MIC socket on the front which looks abit like a headphone type socket

4. RottenFox

RottenFox
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,289
    well,at the moment with your equipment,you wont be able to connect the tv,and/or the virgin box,to your system.

5. clunes82

clunes82

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just purchased a scart to phono lead which allows you to switch output to input. Plugged scart end (switch to input) in my Sony DAV and the two phono leads into my telewest/virgin digital box (in audio outlet sockets).

HOORAY!!!

I know have what seems like surround sound (on pro logic sound format) coming out of the six speakers while watching the england match. This lead is £4 from tesco.

Is this right?

6. RottenFox

RottenFox
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,289
    yep,thats as good as you will get.
    its not full surround,more like stereo with echo,but it does the job.