sony DAV DZ 260 And WIIconnections

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by stegsmith, Feb 2, 2009.

1. stegsmith

stegsmith
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,
    Brand new to the site and would like some advice if at all possible.
    I have recntly purchased a Sony KDL40W4000 and Sony DAV DZ260 home cinema unit.
    I have connected the system with Sky+ as follows -
    Sky+ - Coax RF out to TV
    Scart output to TV
    Optical output to 260
    260 - HDMI output to TV
    this provides decnt sound and vision that i am happy with.
    I tried to get sound through the 260 from the WII last night but could only get sound through the TV - the picture was OK.
    Is there any way i can get sound through the 260 when connecting the WII?
    Am i right in thinking that i can connect an XBOX to the 260 with an optical to Coax convertor to provide sound?
    Spare connections i have on the TV at present are:
    At the back of the set
    Av1 scart
    component L, R, Y, PA/CB, PR/CR
    HDMI 2
    Optical
    PC in
    L, R
    At the side
    USB
    HDMI 3
    AV3
    Headphone

on the 260:
    Coax Digital in
    DM port
    Euro Av output to TV
    thanks for reading my ramblings
    stegsmith

2. StevieBuck

StevieBuck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +674
    The DAV-DZ260 doesn't have an input for the Wii's audio cables directly. What you would be better doing is connecting the Wii to the TV first (as you have done already) and then connect the TV to the 260 with an audio cable.

This will allow you to watch TV (Freeview/analogue) and have the sound play through your speakers. It will also feed the sound through from your Wii.

One way of doing this is to connect an optical cable between the TV's optical out and the input on the 260. Of course you only have one optical input on the 260 so this would require you to buy an optical switcher to have both the TV and the Sky HD box connected as the same time. A further arguement for buying a switcher would be that you could connect the xbox 360 to the system as well with optical for 5.1 sound - without the need for a optical/digital coaxial convertor.

In case you were wondering, the HDMI between the TV and the DZ260 is for carrying audio and video from the built-in DVD player to the TV only - it won't act as an input to the 260 in any form.

Another solution would be to connect a scart cable between the 260 and the TV, as I'm told that this can act as an audio input (taking audio from the TV back to the surround system). Theoretically this means you can do away with the optical connection between the TV and the 260 like I mentioned above, but I don't know how well this works. If it did work though you might not need an optical switcher at all - but that would leave you again without an input for the xbox's optical connection. You could go and try to get an optical to digital coaxial convertor, but I haven't heard much about these, so can't comment if it works ok.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  3. stegsmith

stegsmith
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that,
    seems to be the ideal fix
    stegsmith