Sony DAV (Dream Theater) problems thread

R

renotech

Please use this thread to describe your system problems and
the firmware/version number of your machine.

The DAV-S (550 and 880) suffer from subtitles bug with firmware
version 1.07, and is apparently not field upgradable. [Subtitles
randomly come on, but almost always on layer change.] There
is also a video level improvement which was made after the V1.07
units.

I have a DAV-S550 which is new stock (received by Sony
Hong Kong in mid-December) v1.24 which has a video glitch
on layer change problem:

Using the component/progressive outputs the ?last frame?
of layer 1 stays on the screen until the ?laser refocuses on layer
2? of an (NTSC) DVD.

You can find your version by:

1) eject disk
2) press stop and display on main unit while turning volume knob
to the right (e.g. clockwise).

Exit the service menu by standby on the remote, or power
off.

If your machine gets upgraded by Sony, please tell us the new
version number.

Thanks,

Sam

P.S. presume similar results with DAV-S550, DAV-S880,
DAV-C770, DAV-C990 .

Hi Sam! ;-)

Ok folks,

bought a DAV-S880 in Germany on November 28th, 2002. My unit has Syskon 1.07. I have been searching for information about this issue for quite some time now.

It's real, it's across DAV Series, Sony knows about it. Here is the official reply from Sony Europe (UK division):

The only advise we can give you in these circumstances is to bring your set in at an Authorised Sony Service Centre for a firmware update. As not all devices are equipped with a "Flash ROM" IC to enable an update via a CD-R, most of them need installation of a pre-programmed "OTP ROM". Our policy is that any service work that may be required can only be performed by authorised Sony personnel at Authorised Sony Service Centres. This to assure strict control of quality assurance and safety systems and procedures at the manufacturing facilities. Any work done outside an Authorised Sony facility, no matter how carefully performed cannot be subjected to the same controls. So that we may be assured of the quality and safety of all our products these guidelines must be adhered to.

We understand your situation and apologise for the inconvenience but trust that this information in some way clarifies our situation.

I still got my local HiFi dealer order the CD but chances are merely 50/50 that it will work on my unit. Will post again if it did (and yes I will try to make a duplicate). I phoned the nearest Sony Service Center (40km away): Repair time approx: 3+ weeks!!!

Thanks Sony

Hi There

I also live on Hong Kong and am thinking about buying the DAV-S880 - the sound is better than the 550 to my ears and looks great as well.

Glad I check here though and glad that I did : I will look for the upgraded firmware version.

>>> You said :
"I have a DAV-S550 which is new stock (received by Sony
Hong Kong in mid-December) v1.24 which has a video glitch
on layer change problem:

Using the component/progressive outputs the ?last frame?
of layer 1 stays on the screen until the ?laser refocuses on layer
2? of an (NTSC) DVD.
>>>>

Can you tell me how I find & observe this "layer" problem? Can you explain what it is? Is it really dreadful & limiting?

Lastly, who is your contact at Sony here in Hong Kong?

Many thanks in advance,

Ian

I've seen this with just about every DVD I've tried (5 or so).
Hong Kong readers may be amused/puzzled by all this discussion
of region codes - as most HK DVD players are region-free. I have
seen this on Region 1, 3, and 5 NTSC DVD's.

Basicaly, set up your component progressive display, configure
the DAV- properly and put in the disk. At approx where the
layer change is (say, halfway through the movie) you should
see the image freeze for a moment.

I am using a projector - which makes this freeze intolerable,
I can't vouch for a smaller picture/TV as I have no other
component/prog. display.

As for Sony HK contacts - I have no official word from Sony, what
I have posted is what I have learned. However, should you
encounter dissatisfaction with Sony HK service, ask for the
manager (as you would anywhere). They are dedicated to
customer satisfaction (and I'm an unrelenting customer). DAV
problems are clearly from the engineering department, service
does what they can.

--Sam

I have a DAVS550, apart from having a PS2 this is my first dedicated DVD player. The DAV is not modded for region free and is Region 2 (PAL) only. I have seen the freeze on layer change, is this not normal as on the back of some DVD's it warns you that you may see a pause as the DVD changes layers? or perhaps I am misunderstanding what you describe.

I bought the DAVS 880 on Sunday here in Hong Kong after checking the firmware version beforehand (thanks to Sam for telling us how to do it). The goods in the box was a 1.24 version (though thos on display - both the 550 and 880 - showed 1.07

I am very happy with it - sound, picture quality, design..

SONY does make some remarkable products and this is one of them.

Ian

Can anyone tell me if new DAV-550s/880s now shipping are CD-R upgradable?

I'm holding off on buying one, as I had a player before that wasn't. The manufacturer replaced the firmware ROM in the first year to sort a problem, but I was stuck with a firmware problem discovered later (after the 1yr warranty). I want to be able to fix all future firmware bugs :D

Also, can anyone tell me whether the layer changes are seemless (hated them on my last player). They certainly should be on any half decent modern DVD player by now seeing as all that's needed is a read-ahead buffer to show the video data while the laser refocusses.

Thanks a lot :)

Hi All,

I have a DAV S550 system and have been having problems with palyback of audio cd's & VCD's. I had to return the set in for service. I did not check the firmware version before sending the unit in (i did not know how).

After receiving the unit back and after going through these forums i have learned how to access the ENG. Menu.

The unit i have at present is V1.07. (After return from service). The sony personal had to change the DVD main board to solve my problem. At present the palyback of audio CD's are okay no interuptions as before. I will certainly look out for the subtitle bug.

I was just back from a retail outlet here (i am in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia) & discovered a new DAV S550 with version 1.30 firmware on it.

Anybody know what are the improvements.

Renotech,
you mentioned that there was a video level improvement after V1.07, could you please let us know this improvement. I did not see any difference in picture quality but i believe i dont know
where to look.

Hey Sam and others,

I had some difficulties getting my DAV-S880 to service but I have been told that a new firmware 1.30 is out and will be installed on my unit.

I had 1.07 previously.

Once I get the unit back I will post my impressions.

I'm confused by some of the above posts. Are people (or is it just me confusing the IFcon and the SYScon versions?

I've had my UK sourced S880 for about two weeks:

IFcon V1.07
SYScon V1.24 (0720)
Frontend V1.17

Hi Guys,

I got a DAV-S880 at Christmas and have the problem where the picture freezes half way through a film.

I have just checked my revision number and it is 1.24, i dont know if this is the latest revision.

On the back of the box there is a optical audio port can you tell me will i be able to connect my X-Box into this port? or is this for sound coming out of the machine.

Thanks

Originally posted by Flip Flop Fred
Hi Guys,

I got a DAV-S880 at Christmas and have the problem where the picture freezes half way through a film.

I have just checked my revision number and it is 1.24, i dont know if this is the latest revision.

On the back of the box there is a optical audio port can you tell me will i be able to connect my X-Box into this port? or is this for sound coming out of the machine.

Thanks

To connect to the XBox, get the Avdanced scart Lead (has optical output on) and an optical cable, then fire up Halo in Dolby Digital and you will be amazed at the difference!

I've had my S880 for a few years now. I never watched many DVDs, but lately I've been watching more. I started having problems with it about a year ago, where it would start skipping and freezing after an hours play....

So I thought it might be heat or something. So I chercked the little fan on the back (it was working), I made even MORE room around it (Although it had lots of room all round), I even lifted it up of the shelf with little supports so it could get better ventilation. I also use it with my video cabinet door open.

But all to no avail. And now it's even worse. Starts stuffing up after on 20-30 minutes of play. Turning it off for 30 minutes helps, but only slightly. I can get another 10 minute splay out of it before it stuffs up again.

Leaving it off all night, and I can get another 30 minutes out of it the next day. Happens on all sorts of DVDs, new ones, old ones and -R/+R ones.

I spend so much on it and it's just a nice looking piece of rubbish :(

Can anyone suggest anything that might help? (Appart from taking it into a Sony centre which I may have to do). either that or buy another DVD player and hook it up to the S880.... :(

Speaking of which, would I still be able to get 5.1 sound if I did this? What would I have to look for in the new DVD player??

Thanks.

I'm afraid I can't help you, but can sympathise - mine is two years old, almost to the day and I have exactly the same problems you are experiencing. If you do find a solution I'd love to learn of it - similarly, if I find anything out, I will post it here...

I'm also having problems with stuttering/freezing after 20-30 minutes playing on the S550.
Chilling the discs sometimes helps!

Has anyone any real understanding of this problem, and what long-term solution is available?

hi,

I have an S880, which was taken to the dealer to fix the freezing problem. that was a few weeks after I bought it in June/July, 2004. I don't know what they did exactly. mine is starting to freeze when playing some DVDs now.
My borther took his system (S880 also) to the dealer for the same problem. they just cleaned it. he had it for 2 years.

Nazeeh.

Is there still no answer to this freezing problem? Seems like a far too common a problem to me!

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom