Sony DAV 880

E

EMH

Has anybody seen it in demo ? It looks nice on paper (cheap, nice design, component out, progressive scan, ....)

I read somewhere that it was progressive scan too and had compnent outputs.....

I've ordered an 880 and am patiently waiting to receive it.

HAs anyone got one yet??

Steven

I've had one for a couple of weeks now. I had to buy it from a Sony Shop. (they did knock £60 off the £800 price tag and included Multi-region).

There seems to be a massive shortage - all the cheap internet sellers are offering it for about £650 but none have any stock.

P.S. Yes it is v good. The only problem seems to be when playing DVDs. When the disc changes layer, the subtitles appear - apparently Sony have a fix - but I've not got round to taking it in.

How do you find the 880? I have only seen one in a Sony shop (Cribbs Causeway) and was unable to listen to it. I have heard the 800, which sounded very good, but the 880 looks as though it has more speakers in each of the stands and a larger subwoofer.

Also how have you connected it up? The new Sony catalogue says nothing about component output, which is shown as being available only on the 550. I also cannot see how they would have progressive scan on this as it is not available on other Sony equipment.

TIA

I am confused about the previous link. A quick look at the picture and it appears to be the same as the DAVS880. However - mine doesn't have a 5-disc changer. Everything else seems to be the same though (effin brilliant, I say - although why do the yanks get additional features for about 150 quid less?).

elmbeck,

I was originally thinking of getting the S550, but having seen the 880 speakers I love the look of them.

Looks aside do you know if it has the same features as the S550
i.e.
Component out
Progressive Scan etc

Regards
Mike

do any of you that have this player know if it plays dvd -rw`s or dvd-r?

I was reading a review of the 550 in one of the latest home cinema magazines (sorry can't remember it's name) and they stated that it can be switched between interlaced and progressive scan. Firstly does the 880 have this and secondly does this mean it can output PAL progressive scan being a UK sourced product or am I barking up the wrong tree here!

TIA

Hi king2001,

I'm still trying to find out the same thing, looks like no-one knows:confused:

From what I have read on the 550 I think it is only progressive scan on NTSC (region 1) disks. I would imagine the 880 is the same.

If anyone can confirm or correct this I would be grateful.

Mike

RE: Progressive scan, I have checked my DAVS550 manual and it says 'When "PROGRESSIVE" is selected in 'SCREEN SETUP' and the colour system of the TV is PAL, the signal is changed into the interlace format signal automatically.'

I suspect this will be the same on the DAVS880 as it looks like the same base unit.

Thanks for that bobble.

I don't suppose there is any way these can be modified to output PAL progressive scan by a firmware update or is this disabled somehow in the UK players?

Have found the DAVS880 on-line for £641.99 (multi-region and delivery) from Hotkit , has anyone found it cheaper?

Mike

Have just received my davs880 from Hotkit and its great.

The progressive scan that people keep talking about can only be output via the component video outs and I think it only applies to region one discs i.e. NTSC progressive not PAL.

ALso my machine doesn't hold 5 discs - only one at a time!!

Steven

BTW I can thoroughly recommend hotkit!

With respect to those people that have bought the 880 but does progressive scan really make much of a difference when fitted to budget kit ?

Stevenyoungmin: Thanks for confirming that, I ordered my DAVS880 from hotkit on Friday so hopefully get it soon. I read a review in 'HomeEntertainment' magazine and it never mentioned the component output at all, so I started to get a bit worried. Does your DAVS880 have the subtitle problem?

Ian J: I don't know of any 'budget' kit that has component input, most component input is only available on Plasma/Projectors and a few CRT's. I will be hooking it to 42" Panny plasma.

Mike

Hi

I've read about the subtitle problem and the two DVDs I've played:

Monsters inc region2 and Fellowship of the ring region1 - (yes Hotkit did a multiregion upgrade) do not have a subtitle problem at all.

So either its fixed or I just haven't done the right things to provoke it....

I was slightly surprised that the 880 "eats" discs - I thought it had a tray that popped out but it doesn't - otherwise it is as I expected.

I hope you like it when it comes...

Steven

Originally posted by mikeq
Ian J: I don't know of any 'budget' kit that has component input, most component input is only available on Plasma/Projectors and a few CRT's. I will be hooking it to 42" Panny plasma.

I was referring to the DAV and the progressive scan available through the component outputs on it.

Hi Ian,

Oh right, you meant the DAV was a 'budget' piece of kit.

£800 is 'budget', bloody hell what kind of salary are you on:D

It's a difficult point to make without appearing rude but £800 for a DVD player, AV receiver, five speakers and a subwoofer is a very competitive price.

The point that I was trying to make is that progressive scan has traditionally been available on stand alone DVD players that cost as much as the whole DAV 880 and I was wondering whether it's implementation was actually worthwhile or whether it was just marketing hype.

I have never seen progressive scan other than on a multi thousand pound system (not mine :) and just wonderered as much has been made of it recently.

Hi Ian,

No offence taken:) To be honest the first time I heard about Progressive Scan was when reseaching which Plasma to get. I have no idea if the prog scan included with the DAVS880 is any good, but I'm thinking it must be better than what I have at the moment.

I get my plasma tomorrow:D and I have the DAVS880 ordered, should get it soon. I will test it with and without prog scan on and post my findings.

Mike

Hi Guys/Girls
I work in a Sony centre,the 880 will do progressive scan off an ntsc disc as long as it is connected to a Plasma or projector using the comp connections we have connected the 880 to our 42" Plasma and it displays 480p signal I personally believe there is no benefit to anyone who has normal kit (no offence meant),apart from the speakers of the 880 being slightly better in terms of music I would advise most people to buy the 550 system if they do not have comp/plasma/projector connections.We do a software upgrade for multi region for £40 only and will play regions 1-6 incl.RCE discs automatically.I own a Sony VA 555ES amp but I am certainly not rich and I am not saying its the best but you buy what you can afford at the time as long as the advice is correct .I hope this helps regards I am maximus
P.S please do not use the free lead in the box its not a great picture at least use an s-video to scart lead minimum or at best a componant lead

Originally posted by I am maximus

We do a software upgrade for multi region for £40 only and will play regions 1-6 incl.RCE discs automatically.
I am maximus,

Does the software upgrade enable pal progressive scan? If not, do you know if Sony has plans to produce an update to do so?

Regards
Silent Fly

I am sorry it doesnt enable progressive scan on pal discs and Sony dont have any plan to enable it either,on the subject of multi region Sony dont endorse this either because they made the original rules about dvd to make different regions because they own Columbia tristar the film company.I hope this helps
regards I am maximus

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom