1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DAV-500ZF or Denon DHT-500SD?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by timbo77, Aug 30, 2005.

1. timbo77

timbo77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm a newbie to the Home Cinema world and have recently bought myself a copy of What HiFi? October 2005 Edition with a view to buying an all-in-one Home Cinema system.

In the magazine they review both of the above systems (which both rate very highly) and was looking for any additional feedback about your experiences of these?

Alternatively, if you recommend any other systems (my budget is £500) that may be out there that are better than these: I'm open to suggestions?

Thanks,
    Tim

2. snapper3166

snapper3166

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    Tim,

I had the same choice to make as you, I eventually went with the sony (although i paid the extra for the 700 which is exactly the same but with wireless rear speakers), I honestly dont think that there is a lot in it, both systems got 5 Stars and the Sony only just shaded it, no doubt someone will do the same review next month and pronounce the Denon as still top of the pile because they dont like the shape of the buttons on the Sony,..... or something equally as pointless.

The only slight niggle I can give about the Sony is that IMO the Sub is a bit overpowering on the standard setting, i put the Tank scene from the end of Privte Ryan on as a test (which is what they use in the magazine review), when it comes past them the rumbling was so loud it was vibrating the Sofa and making me ill, i have now adjusted it down through the setup tool and think it's a lot better. Dont all shout at me....... I love bass but it was to dominant and drowned out some of the detail.

Because they are so close on performance I would save your money and get the Sony.

Hope that helps

PS Please dont think I am recommending the Sony just because I've bought one, look for my other post about DivX and you'll see that I would be more than willing to complain about something if I'm not happy!

3. Syphon

Syphon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I'm considering both of these - however Sony's lack of digital inputs is a bit of a showstopper for me. I want to replace my old amp and need to feed in the xbox (soon to be 360). Don't know why the left them off. :(

4. snapper3166

snapper3166

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    Not sure where you have read that the Sony has no Digital inputs but i can assure you mine has an Optical & Co-ax Digital in which i have the sky box & PS2 connected to through a splitter

5. Syphon

Syphon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    hmmm.... What-hifi lists no digital audio inputs. And maybe I'm reading this wrong but sony's site says 0 digital inputs. But then it also says no digital outputs :confused: :confused:

If it's got them then I'll order the kit right away!

6. Syphon

Syphon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
  7. snapper3166

snapper3166

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    There isnt any digital outs on it but I can 100% tell you that mine has 2 digital in ports, 1 optical, 1 coaxial.

Hope that helps

Steve

8. Syphon

Syphon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks for that. I'm wondering if as you've got the wireless system the dvd/amp is slightly different??

9. snapper3166

snapper3166

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    I cant tell you why it is not mentioned but if your really still worried PM me with your email address and I'll send you a photo of the back of the unit.

Cheers

Steve

10. Syphon

Syphon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks PM sent. :)

11. Syphon

Syphon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi,

Don't worry about the picture. It seems the main units must be different between systems. I've just gone through the manual for the kit from Sony's website.

The rear shot confirms the lack of digital inputs :(

Sony has lost a sale (and probably many more) for neglecting to include such an essential feature.

Thanks for your help anyway. :)

Attached Files:

12. snapper3166

snapper3166

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    If it makes any difference, i picked up the 700 for the same price as the denon 500 (£372), so you would have wireless & digital inputs.

13. Syphon

Syphon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Cheers I'll look into that. Where from?

Any issues with being wireless on the rear?

14. snapper3166

snapper3166

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    www.pixmania.co.uk.

Better still it looks like it has come down in price! currently on offer at £359 including delivery and VAT. BLOODY BARGAIN!!!

Rears work superb, better than i would have expected. There is an indicator light on the rear left speaker that tell you if the link is working, I have them mounted on opposing walls and the link never breaks, even if you stand in between them.

15. Barthez

Barthez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    regarding the sony guys, any idea if the dvd is multi region as this is a must for me. Looks a nice bit of kit.

16. JonnyG

JonnyG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I considered both and finally went for the Denon: better musically and in my view a nicer unit to look at. Saying that the Sony has some different specs, e.g. plays SACD and DivX unlike the Denon - and perhaps importantly for some comes with stands for the satellite speakers. The Denon speakers will need placing on shelves or you can buy the alphason adapted stands for £59 a pair.

BTW I think the rear IR speaker version is the DZ700 not 500 series.
    See separate thread http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=239895

17. timbo77

timbo77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your response, I've been to see both systems and still largely undecided!

I've found the Denon for £379 so there isn't any real difference in the cost and I've always believed in better quality from a 'wired' system although I take on board your comments regarding the 700.

Thanks for your help, I'll post back once I've purchased!

18. Scoobdoog

Scoobdoog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    QUOTE=Scoobdoog]Snapper,

Thinking about buying the above. Could you help me with a couple of things?

The black round bases to the rear speakers. What are these? Is it just packers for height or are they required as part of the wireless system?

“One of the Black bases is the amplifier for the rear speakers, it has the connectors for the 2 speakers, it also takes the input from the IR receiver. They are not part of the speakers (ie the speakers just sit on top of them) so you could locate the amp anywhere and just run the 2 cables to the speakers.”

Is the receiver for the wireless speakers built into one of the speakers? Does it matter if there is furniture between the transmitor and the rear speakers?

“The IR Receiver is not built into the speakers it is a separate item that is about the size of a matchbox, I think they choose to not build it in for the same reason the amp is not built in…… it gives you flexibility, it might not be convenient to locate the speakers next to a mains plug for example! The receiver has a little stand with it to stand it on a shelf or you can mount it on the wall (as I have).”

Is there a power cable to one of the rear speakers? If so, can it be to either left or right? I have a wall socket adjacent to where the right speaker will be.

“Yep, as above the amp needs to be plugged into the mains and you can put the amp under the left or right speaker or under neither and just run the speaker cables to it.”

The deal at Pixmania seems almost too good to be true. Is there a catch? Is the system multi region? If not do Pixmania to a MR version cause I cant see it on their web site.

“No catch with the deal on pixmania as far as I can see, not sure if mine is MR as I only buy region 2 (UK) DVD’s so I haven’t tried one“

Hope that helps!!!!

Steve

19. Publican

Publican

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I have ordered the Sony 500 model and am now considering cancelling and upgrading to the 700 as from reading this forum it seems the 700 has hdmi connection? Can anybody confirm this as i can seem to see it on pixmanias site.Am also waiting for Hitachi 6600 as well.

Cheers
    Chris

20. billandkez

billandkez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi Chris
    Like you I am also waiting for the 6600 (will probably be at least another 2 weeks) :(
    I have recently ordered the Sony 700 from Pixmania £359 incl delivery but I don't believe that it has a HDMI connection. There arn't any all in one systems with that feature. You will still be able to play HDTV Dvd's through it and it will scale down the picture.
    Even if you buy a HD dvd player the TV only has one HDMI input so you would also have to buy some sort of switching amp which would add to the cost or connect it via component and then it would scale down the picture again.

Bill

21. Publican

Publican

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Ah thanks for that.I'll stay as i am then,its just that someone on this thread said something about the 700 having more digital connections than the 500 or something.Dont wanna miss out on anything considering that the 700 is only a few quid more than the 500

Cheers
    Chris

22. snapper3166

snapper3166

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    The digital outputs you have seen mentioned are audio inputs (1 x Coaxial & 1 Optical) not Digital Outputs

Hope that helps