sony da5500es vs. Onkyo TX-SR875

SockToy

Established Member
Reaction score
So I have the opportunity, free, to choose one. I currently have the onkyo. Any thoughts? Sitting with both here, right now, the Sony seems to have a much suckier set of options; no ability to tweak the volume per channel, less control over the video processor, fewer listening modes and codecs, all around generally restricted flexibility.

But.

Listening in stereo it sounds warmer, richer. The 'auto-EQ' while less sophisticated in the options it exposes seems to have done a better job of tuning the speakers than the Audyssey stuff in the Onkyo. I'll do some more listening over the next few days, but Im interested in thoughts.

Inputs:
3 Game consoles (PS3, wii, 360)
Marantz 63 SE cd player
Foxsat HDR hidef PVR
Airport Express
Very tweaked rega turntable

Outputs:
Tannoy Arena Highline 500 - matched 5.1 speaker set with kinda sucky fronts needing some compensation from the sub.
Panasonic 50" plasma.

Main uses are probably vinyl, cd, freesat and bluray/dvd from the ps3.

Sadly the WAF means I can't (yet) get a completely separate system for the 2 channel stuff... but I like the 2 channel stuff, and the onkyo has sounded... clinical, and a little harsh, on it.

So - am I imagining things? any advice? Things I should try in my listening, ways to test, thoughts from your own experiences?

(Right now: Yamazaki single malt. Massive Attack 180gm vinyl. Goodness.)

The Sony is a good reciever and is supposed to be tuned for better musical ability. Since you have both at home I would continue to listen to them both and then let your ears decide which to keep. By the sounds of it you are leaning towards the Sony but only the lack of features appears to be holding you back. If these features are not needed or do not improve the sound quality then I would say ignore them and go for the reciever that you like the sound of.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom