Sony DA1200ES - Keep or Replace?

S R S

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi.
About to replace my Pioneer Kuro plasma with a 65" (still to be decided). I will keep my 5.1 speaker system and have no plans to upgrade that with any additional speakers. Video sources are Arris Freesat box with optical audio feed to the DA1200ES and a Roku stick (currently connected to panel HDMI directly) for Prime/Netflix/Disney. No gaming. Very, very occasional DVD use.
Is it worth upgrading the AV receiver too?
If so, for what? The current offerings seem very expensive....as I don't intend to go beyond 5.1, would any of the previous generations of Denon be a worthwhile upgrade, or should I stick with my current Sony?

Thanks, in anticipation.

If you've got a working set up then I'd hold off certainly until the new year as prices are far too high for entry level models. Most of the new TVs will come with Netfllix, Amazon and many other apps onboard but they will still be in SD lossy audio with 5.1. A new AV amp will give you the benefit of eARC which will allow a HDMI connection giving, still SD, but Dolby Digital Plus and any associated Atmos metadata.

If you want to expand to Atmos then that will make a difference to your listening pleasure I'm sure.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom