Sony DA 3500ES from FOXSAT HDR via HDMI to Hitachi plasma screen with only DVI input

M

Miodbadger

I've just bought a Sony AV amp as in the title - everything but the Humax (Blu-ray, old HD-DVD) works fine when attached by HDMI to the amp, then all fed out by HDMI and into the plasma via a HDMI to DVI converter.

The Humax has worked perfectly before linked via HDMI and a simple switch box to the plasma via HDMI to DVI converter.

I've tried changing the HDMI cable linking the Humax to the amp with the same results, no sound no picture.

Superfi, who sold me the amp, can't think of any reason why this specific link up should not be working.

Before I try Humax, can anybody see something I may have missed here?
I had the idea that it might have been something to do with HDCP, but mu Superfi man says not..

Hi everyone - two things to add to the above problem.

1) The HUMAX boot screen always appears - the connection fails after that. The FOXSAT shows it's getting the signal from the satellite, but nothing appears on the screen or as audio.

Spoke to HUMAX help service today, the guy on the other end of the line asked if I'd tried to get the HUMAX menu up. I hadn't, but I tried that to no effect.
Tried changing HDMI cables round on the back of the Sony amp, also to no effect.

Anybody got any ideas, before I get into one of those wonderful situations where Humax says it's got to be Sony's fault, and Sony says it's got to be Humax?

Or a different "HDMI to DVI converter"?

Thanks kevkbuk and logiciel - I will try both these ideas tomorrow and let you know what happens.

Hi all:

1) Have got a different amp, but no use as comparison because it has no HDMI input/output..

2) Tried changing the DVI TO HDMI converter (simple £20 job, no cable attached) - no video. Just to check, I used the RCA video out from the Foxsat into the corresponding front fascia input of the amp - good picture, but not HD.

Oh, and taking the HDMI lead straight out the back of the Foxsat. other end into a DVI TO HDMI converter straight into the Hitachi DVI socket, and this worked fine - as it used to in the days before I tried to use the new amp as a distribution device.

So the mystery of why a Toshiba HD player and a Limit Blu-ray player, both into the amp via HDMI, and out to the Hitachi plasma via HDMI cable converted to DVI, work fine on both sound and vision, remains. Sorry about the grammar!

And why does the Foxsat BOOT screen display, but then after it gets to BBC HD channel, not display?

This is doing my head in..

Have you tried different V-Format settings on the HDR? Just a thought based upon the display of the boot screen.

Sounds like an HDCP handling issue with the Sony if you can view SD using alternative inputs and HD directly input to the plasma.

You really need to try another amp with HDMI support if you wish to use it. Perhaps return Sony and try a different brand?

Hi everybody

Repassac - thanks for the idea, but changing the V-format did not make any difference.

lbear - again, thanks. Difficult to test this, but as much as know about this, it seems the most likely.

I've temporarily given up fiddling with the multitude of different cables, settings etc and written to Humax and Sony to see what they say.

kevkbuk - I'm going to save this good idea for later, as a trump card

Whatever happens, I'll let you know on this site

If you go the way of the new amp - an Onkyo perhaps?;) - you might want to look at a new TV as well.

If I had a "plasma screen with only DVI input" it's what I'd be doing, but I carefully said "you might".

Yes. I use it myself, for something else.

Hi guys (and gals) - little off topic - but I love my Hitachi 55PMA550!

It cost £4500 five years back and was worth every penny. Originally bought to display 30,000 newly digitised slides, it quickly became not just a vast PC monitor, but the viewing platform for everything else, particularly when HD started. Sound is, and always will be in this household, dealt with by the seperate audio system - more bang for your bucks than crappy TV speakers - although this does mean complaints about the number of hand controls littering the coffee table...

It's still in daily use, no signs of wear, superb picture - and although the input is limited in HD to one DVI socket, it's still worth the minor hassle. I'll only be considering a new one when this one packs up! ;)

Yes, it sounds good, but doesn't it, and your other kit, deserve a matching universal remote to sit alone on the coffee table?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom