1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony D800U digibox EPG recording

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by red_devil, Nov 3, 2004.

1. red_devil

red_devil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When I use Smartlink via the Sony digibox EPG to record a programme, the programme then comes up on my TV when the recording starts. Is there any way to then watch the analogue TV as I would be able to if I had set the video manually.

Can anyone help me with this problem?

Red Devil

:lease:

2. jaymac

jaymac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    Press the little button labelled TV/DTT this should get you back on analogue. You are only using one scart from the digibox to the vcr and no scart going to the tv from the vcr ? Cos all that usually happens when the recording starts is a blip your tv should stay on analogue

3. adrianl

adrianl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Red Devil,

Please could you give some more details about your set-up (vcr model, connections...)?

Have the same freeview box which is superb (the epg alone worth cost of admission!) but I can't find a way of getting my Sony 810 vcr to record from it via smartlink/epg other than using 'synchronised record mode' and making sure the vcr input is set to whichever scart I've connected the box to (tried both the smartlink-enabled L1 scart and the L3).

Thanks for any advice,

Adrian

4. red_devil

red_devil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jaymac, I have a SCART connected to both the VCR and TV. I have tried the TV/DTT button, but it doesn't change-over. However, if I manually set the VCR (using the VCR not the EPG) then that button works fine.

Adrian, This is my set-up:

Sony D800U digibox
    Sony SLVSE820 VCR
    Philips TV (over 10 years old)

I have the SCART lead that was supplied with the digibox connected to the VCR connector on the digibox and L1 on the VCR. I have another SCART lead connected to the TV connector on the digibox and the TV.

There are some settings that you need correct:
    On the digibox set Smartlink to 'on'
    On the VCR in the menu choose 'install' there should be a Smartlink option. Go down to the smartlink option and push the right arrow button on the remote. Now set 'TV direct record' to on.

That is what I had to do to get it working. Good luck.

5. jaymac

jaymac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    Hi Adrianl
    So scarts are ok do you have the latest update on the digibox as the previous update did give av switching problems.Apart from that why cant you use the tv remote to switch back to analogue? Also have a look at www. digitalspy.co.uk you will find loads of queries of similar problems
    good luck
    Jaymac

Jay

6. adrianl

adrianl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for this, but I'm still having trouble getting Smartlink to work with Sony SLV810 vcr!

Recording events are not triggering the vcr to record.

What's interesting is that the VCR shows a 'smartlink' symbol when connected to a smartlink TV. If I connect the vcr directly to the TV (pana TX28) the symbol comes up on VCR display, and TV Direct Record works as expected.

But if I then switch this scart to the vcr scart of the Sony digibox (still connected to the smartling-enabled L1 scart of the vcr) then the smartlink symbol goes off from the vcr display.

The D800U is running latest firmware v12. Now I'm wondering if there's something wrong with its smartlink function on the vcr scart? The manual does say not all smartlink functions will work with other equipment. Maybe it's some incompatibility between Sony 810 vcr and this box?

Would like to get to bootom of this as considering getting a hdd/dvd and would be nice to set recording events via the epg of the digibox. If not possible then I may just wait for dvd tuner equipped recorders start to appear!

Thanks for any advice,

Adrian

7. red_devil

red_devil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Adrian,

I do not have the smartlink symbol either, but it still works! Have got the SCART cable that was supplied with your digibox connected to the VCR connector on the digibox and L1 on your VCR? Have you set Smartlink to 'on' in the digibox setup? Have you got direct TV record set to 'on' on the VCR install menu?

Can't see why this doesn't work. Have asked Sony? I use this to ask Sony questions:

http://www2.sony.co.uk/feedback/feedbackform.asp

Good luck

Red Devil

8. adrianl

adrianl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Red Devil. Just off the phone to Sony tech support. Apparently the smartlink implemented on Sony 810 vcr is not compatible with the smartlink on the 800U! Model of VCR is "too old" apparently.

Doh! Will have to stick with terrestrial recordings for now which is a shame as the 800U puts out a cracking signal (not that the vcr can capture it at full resolution anyway!).

Thanks anyway for quick replies,

Adrian

9. matty2767

matty2767

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have the same setup and smartlink doesnt work. i use the syncro record instead. set the freeview box to what you want to record and then turn on the vcr and set the channel to L3 (which should be the freeview box) the hold down the sycro record button. it is to the left of the display. until the unit powers off (about 3 secs) then the freeview will wake up the vcr when it needs to.

10. adrianl

adrianl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Matty. Have played with the synchro record before which works ok. Only problem is once the vcr comes out of synchro record it has to be manually placed back in synchro mode. Also my wife has to remember to reset to synchro if she watches something on vcr prior to a recording event becoming due from the Freeview box. All in all it becomes very clumsy, but in absence of smartlink it is next best thing!

11. plaver

plaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    Red Devil,
    I have followed your instructions because I have the same up and have not been able to get the smart link to work, until now after following your instructions. Thank you

The only problem I have now is, the recording when played back is in black and white and when watching the program while recording, this is also in black and white with coloured spec's all over the screen, any ideas anybody :lease:

12. red_devil

red_devil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had this too, I think its the video output settings on the D880U settings. From memory, I think mine is set to PAL. Play around with the settings, that's what I did!

Red Devil

13. plaver

plaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    That's what I did, I reset the video out to PAL and everything is now recording OK