1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony D-EJ01 Discman not reading "Copy protected" Cd's

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Gemini-Phoenix, Sep 2, 2005.

1. Gemini-Phoenix

Gemini-Phoenix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    For some reason, my Sony D-EJ01 Discman won't read certain newish Cd's. At first I thought it may just be the age of th unit, and overuse, and then it started happening all too often with newer releases, yet it still played older Cd's perfectly fine...

I then started to notice a trend in the Cd's it wouldn't play ~ Mostly Cd's which have extra content on them.

It won't recognise some certain Cd's which have "Copy protection" on them. I guess the firmware on the Discman is similar to that of a PC Cd Rewriter, and the sofftware on the disc is preventing the player from reading the disc properly

Also, if some Cd's have extra content on them, such as PC data (As some do, things like music video's Etc), it also won't read them properly.

The first Cd I found that it refused was the Limited Edition version of Blur's "Think Tank", but can't for the life of me see why it is refusing to play it...

2. IanPM

IanPM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    This is quite common, my sister mentioned that both her Kylie and Jem albums refuse to play. The glorious irony is that I was able to give her a backup copy that would play, which I had downloaded off the web.

Oh how wonderfull. So, from this we can deduce:

Copy protection only affects people who have honestly bought a CD
    People who are dishonest and download the music are unnafected.

That truly is a great system.

For reference, the 'CDs' you are trying to play are not actually CDs at all, because they don't conform to the CD RED Book standard.

3. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Copy protection will some day eat itself, and be recognised for the pointless failure it so obviously is ...

4. sulk

sulk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a thought, you could rip the cd to mp3s, then you could make an audio cd from that. Or you could try to copy the cd using nero or somesuch, it should make an it an audio cd, not data, but yea, just a thought.

-Sulk

5. Gemini-Phoenix

Gemini-Phoenix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    The main thing that pisses me off is - It cost me £300, so you'd expect it to be able to play anything and everything.

I understand that it was released just prior to units that supported CD-R's, but I expect it to play legitimate discs. It's still one of the best Discman's out there (If not playing CD-R's doesn't bother you), and has the most amazing sound quality.

Plus, it was released just before the EU imposed that stupid noise level law, which means all subsequent Discman's are restricted. Which this isn't! :smashin: