1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony Cybershot P10

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Blackspeech, Dec 18, 2003.

1. Blackspeech

Blackspeech
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Recently went to Amsterdam on business. While killing time in the airport I decided to look at the camera stand and they had a great selection there.

Had already been reading the forums and other reviews and decided to try a few cameras out as I wanted to get one for christmas (which the family will contribute to).

Picked up a Sony P10 (5 megpixel/ x3 Optical Zoom) for £290 - Empire have it for 291 + del. Wanted it before christmas and it was cheaper. Comet want £60 quid more. The normal selling price in the airport was 549 Euro but bought for 389 as on special offer for Nov/Dec.

Sony service means makes no odds where I bought it if it goes wrong. Trying it out soon so will post a review probably after/ during christmas. But wanted to say that you guys at AVForums really helped me bend me head around digital cameras!!

PS. On trying out in airport the quality was excellent!:smashin:

Cheers for the advice over forums

2. Blackspeech

Blackspeech
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well,

As promised a review. Like it a lot. Very easy to use and can now use most functions as the camera design and menu system is fairly intuitive.

It has a view finder, which I never use and the unit is well balanced give a lite but solid feel. The battery pack gives about 80 mins when using a lot and set to 3.1 MegaPixels.

Video clips are good - but no zoom after recording, can only use on pause then restart. However it is adequate for filming indoors, but uses a lot of memory space, would be better if the film could be compressed onboard.

The zoom is optical x3 and while this isn't great it is very clear and the P10 will digitally enhance the subject automatically if set up that way. Not all 3 Mega Pixel cameras do this well. I like to see clear shots before I shoot, not just after.

The burst mode is really useful when taking group photos or shots of children as this allows 3 shots to be taken in a short 'one press' action. Helps you to weed ot the blinkers and avoids taking shots again and again. You then delete the ones you don't want. Also can do this for sports where 16 shots are taken. The above can be played back frame by frame or as film.

The various focus and metering modes come in handy especially for tourist shots when the target is a subject behind a friend. You can review and then trim all photographs with zoom feature included. Rotation also easy.

Camera to PC thru supplied USB is a 1 minute job. All shots being captured in date marked folders. The software operates on Windows and loads quickly and easily. The supplied TV lead shows the shots and film off to great effect and if you have a DVD recorder then this is very useful. I only connecyed one lead and got audio as well.

Finally, printed shots look great at normal colour printer settings and on plain A4 paper. The resolution of 3.1 MegaP's produced great shots. I have so far avoided 5 MP's as this would take up a lot of memory for christmas snaps. However one of the best things is being able to delete crap shots and you can mark the shots for download and print by reviewing them and choosing them before connecting by USB.

Very happy with my camera - by no means an expert on the P10 but if you want to ask any questions please post. Would definately recommend the P10!:clap:

3. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,797
    I am with you...I bought one in the UK for 285 incl delivery and think it is great....Only shot at 5mp so far...Fantastic camera.....

Good review, strange there doesn't seem to be more recommendations for this one...

4. Blackspeech

Blackspeech
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I was surprised as well and just found out that there is a P12 and that the camera can be had on high street for about 280-290.

The P12 in Dixons is 340 (at LGW airport in UK) but comes with Sony case and extra battery. Nice to have the extra batt. No idea what res and features it has though.

The photos I printed came out on A4, with small border after re-size and quality was great given that I used a regular setting and normal grade A4 paper.

Enjoy the P10!:cool:

5. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,797
    The P12 is besides the packaging exactly the same camera. It is blue and has the few extras....
    I am using a HP 9960 8 ink printer and just pop the memory stick directly in it...The results are absolutely stunning. Shooting at 5MP is worth it with my wifes pathetic framing skills. The printer lets me zoom in to frame the picture correct and then print it.....

BTW The video mode is great....I transferred them to my laptop and it is good fun...

6. matty2767

matty2767

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    my mother wanted a digi cam and i chose her the p10. obviously i had a go with it and was amazed at the quality of the pics. so i got my self a p12 for 309 from amazon. it is exactly the same but in blue and comes with a case and 1 spare battery.

i would definetly recommend it.

matt

7. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    Nice one, Matt. Just ordered a P12 from Amazon. :smashin:

Steve

8. kevshed

kevshed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I bought the P10 as a late christmas present 'for the mrs' - unfortunatly due to the impulse nature, i paid full dixons rip off price.... but such is like. This replaces a P1 which i was also pleased with, hence the upgrade.

Would definatly recommend the P10 for good value (dont buy from Dixons!) 5Mpixel camera..

Kev