SONY Cyber-shot H1 VS Canon's PowerShot S2 IS VS Panasonic DMC-FZ5

sea surfer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking to buy one of the above cameras, any advise would be most helpfull, dont really want to spend more than £300, have read a few reviews on the FZ5 and read's like it is a great camera for the money, and can be bought for around £250 which would leave money left over for a 1 gig card. Does the FZ5 stand up against the Sony Cyber-shot H1 and the Canon S2 IS?

Review Panasonic - http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/fz5.html

Review Canon - http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/s2is.html

Review Sony - http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/sony_h1.html

You should add the Olympus D500 to that shortlist. I have it's predesessor and it's good.

These were the 3 cameras I was thinking of in July,and after comparing them I purchased the FZ5 and I am extremley happy with it.

All are very good cameras, and as far as image quality and features there is not a lot in it.You need to get down to Jessops and have a play with them and feel what they are like in your hands.Whichever you choose you won't have made a bad choice.

The advantage I felt the FZ5 had at the time was in its small size and light weight took sd cards and it was around £50 less.The Sony had a larger LCD screen which is nice.

Sorbiegunner,If you are refering to the new SP500 it does not have image stabilisation which is important in a super zoom and its around the same price as the Z5 so personally I would discount it.

Yeah sorry the sp500, I've never had IS so I don't miss it. Is not just at the extreme end of the zoom in poor light that it comes into play?

Whent into Jessops today they had th e FZ5 in stock had a good look at it, thought the size was ideal didn't find it big at all, would fit into the wife's handbag no problem ;) the only problem is they did not have the Sony or the Canon in stock so could not compare them side by side, Jessops where selling the FZ5 for £350 :( so probably look for a better price on line.

Jessops generally will price match or at least get close to internet prices if you take in proof of what price you can get it for off the internet.When I got my FZ5, best price on the internet was around £283 with shipping, Jessop sold me one for £295.

I also had those 3 on my short list and whent for the Canon S2 IS

Not regretted it, great camera :)

Mac, can i ask why you went for the Canon?

I read the reviews of all the models

From what i gathered from the reviews they all had there + and - points in terms of taking pictures, and the conclusion was that any of them would not disapoint,

The reason i whent for the canon was the movie mode i am buying it as a holiday camera more than anything, and were going to Florida next april and i thought the great movie mode would come in handy for the occasional clip of us all on rides, or maybe kareoke night etc.

Just gives you abit more to remember the holiday by than photos.

Like the review said the movie mode is superb and up there with a decent video recorder and i will definately use it, but that aside i have used the camera quite alot just lately and have been really impressed with the pictures and ease of use.

Just wanna say i just managed to pick up a Canon EOS 350D for £359 with 1GB Compact Flash Card And Carry Case And With The 18-55mm Lens

What a bargain this is brand new From Currys includes delivery

I will probably be selling it on as its maybe abit to advanced for my needs but i will have a play first

And Heres How

Currys Have A Great Price On The EOS 350D Anyway at £560 with 1GB Compact Flash Card And Carry Bag

Take £50 Off this price from a discount code they have on right now
Now Pay for this Item on a EGG Money Credit card get 10% INSTANT CASHBACK = £459, now take away £100 Cashback you get if you buy this camera with a Mastercard (Which the egg money card is) as this is a offer mastercard have on right now = £359 delivered

http://www.canonmastercardpromotion.com/intro.aspx

I bet i could get £550 + for this bundle on ebay lol

Sorry for going off topic but if u have Egg card this would be anouther option for you and what a bargain it is

Just went on the Egg website and saw it's now down to 5% cashback. Anyhow, what's the £50 discount code may I ask? I think it's worth getting an Egg card just for this offer although from picture on the site it looks like a Visa card.

Edit: It says 5% off Currys at one part of the site, and 10% elsewhere so not sure.

Mac, you have me thinking now :confused:

And it looks like there's 2% cashback in about a weeks time :) It's a shame that the website has run out of the Canon 350D kit.

Got my Egg card but still no stock on the Canon 350d. Any other good sites I could try before the £100 rebate expires?

Try Dixons - they are part of the same group

Lawrenso

Egg seem to be doing the offer with only Currys, rather Dixons and PC World. Managed to find stock on the website last weekend :) Order says it's being processed as we speak.

just bought fz5 for £231 online thought it was a good deal, try the link.regards

The Curry's web site shows 350d's in stock now.:)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom