Sony cx523 picture settings

dmax66

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

have the above and am wondering what settings others have? Have dvdr, sky and blu ray which can be set up separately, but finding this a challenge as when pressing options/picture etc its synched to dvdr/blu ray and can'tgo further.

Thanks for any replies.

Drew

Just posted this in another thread but for the sake of discussion here is what I am running atm.

Turn off the light sensor via Home/system settings/Eco settings...

Starting point for the rest of these settings are based on 'standard' picture setting...
I have max backlight, max contrast, 50 brightness, colour temp neutral, sharpness 90 and all the reductions on auto.
Advanced settings are all off except detail enhancer high and edge enhancer med.

With that set up I am quite happy, I hope this helps you and others out.

Dont forget to leave some feedback.
Good luck.

Has anyone managed to get the picture on their cx523 looking half decent please? I have been stumbling along since Christmas and am not impressed with the picture on my 40" compared to my "old" 32" Toshiba Regza - I must be doing something wrong as my impression is nothing like the reviews online. The image isn't crisp or "smooth" (slight blur on edge of people or when text on screen) and my biggest annoyance is I cannot get the colours right (as an example, we have Virgin Media Tivo and on the My Shows screen there is what can only be described as a white sheen over the top of the deep red background) - I have tried changing various settings to no avail. Mrs Anon2 and the Anon kids have even commented on it, so something must be wrong!

And how long does the £100 cashback take please - submitted in first week of January but no sign yet.

Many thanks

Anon2

Got mines looking good as there is a post on here. I sent my cashback papers 17/12/11 and card came 2 weeks ago. Let me know how you get on your pic settings.

I am still struggling with my settings - I tried those indicated above but there is still the white sheen. It is not always obvious and we are perhaps getting use to it, but it is not as good quality a picture as my Toshiba Regza or my old Panasonic old-style tv. I will have to keep looking for other recommended settings as hopefully we can eventually find some that work - it is a shame that it doesn't just work out of the box like other tvs bought previously, as it is taking the shine off my new toy!

Anon2

Just posted this in another thread but for the sake of discussion here is what I am running atm.

Turn off the light sensor via Home/system settings/Eco settings...

Starting point for the rest of these settings are based on 'standard' picture setting...
I have max backlight, max contrast, 50 brightness, colour temp neutral, sharpness 90 and all the reductions on auto.
Advanced settings are all off except detail enhancer high and edge enhancer med.

With that set up I am quite happy, I hope this helps you and others out.

Dont forget to leave some feedback.
Good luck.

Has anyone managed to get the picture on their cx523 looking half decent please? I have been stumbling along since Christmas and am not impressed with the picture on my 40" compared to my "old" 32" Toshiba Regza - I must be doing something wrong as my impression is nothing like the reviews online. The image isn't crisp or "smooth" (slight blur on edge of people or when text on screen) and my biggest annoyance is I cannot get the colours right (as an example, we have Virgin Media Tivo and on the My Shows screen there is what can only be described as a white sheen over the top of the deep red background) - I have tried changing various settings to no avail. Mrs Anon2 and the Anon kids have even commented on it, so something must be wrong!

And how long does the £100 cashback take please - submitted in first week of January but no sign yet.

Many thanks

Anon2

I don't own this model but do own a Sony 2011 model.

Personally i would turn detail and edge enhancer off as they just add noise to the picture and detail in the image, Would also turn sharpness way down towards 20 more as for 2011 Sony tvs the sweet spot seems to be 20 which doesn't add noise or add any softness to the image. This is based on professional reviews from Avforums.

Also color tone warm 2 is usually the most accurate although some find it a little red it should help with the white sheen you describe.

Try it and see if it helps.

Also i use Movie scene on my Sony and have backlight set to 1, but my Sony is the 46HX823 so the led backlighting has probably got more punch than the ccfl backlighting in the CX523

Just to add all the noise reduction features are not needed for digital signals only analogue as they will soften the picture, if you imagine noise reduction softens detail and the edge enhancement adds artificial noise and covers detail, which is not going to help the image at all. Basically they should be off.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom