Sony CX523 OwnersThread

gallois

Established Member
Reaction score
I believe there are two models of this set 32 and 40 inch. I have the 32 inch

Internet connection
I don't have the Sony dongle. I tried a Belkin wifi dongle but it didn't work.

I tried to share my wifi through Internet connection sharing through Ethernet on a win 7 laptop. Didn't work. On a mac it worked but I couldn't see media server on my widows network.

I bought a pair of devolo dlan 500 av plus homeplugs. Worked immediately. No problems at all.

Media server
Tried lots. Twonky/windows media player/Serviio. By far the easiest was serviio. On a win 7 machine no configuration. Found a Bravia 2011 profile automatically. No problems with Streaming. With transcoding on mkv files play. Some avi files with AC3 don't seem to play via USB or streaming.

Picture settings
Used another post for a 40 inch:
Light sensor off
T.I. common
P.M. standard
Backlight 6
contrast max
brightness 54
colour 55
hue 0
c.t. cool
sharpness 87
n.r. auto
"advanced":-
B.C. high
A.C.E med
gamma 0
Auto Light Lim. med
clear white low
live col. med
det.enh. med
edge enh. med
"Scene Select" General

HD content are acceptable but SD content is blurred with noticeable motion blur. When options is pressed and the screen goes smaller the quality is very good. But blown to full screen the image seems washed out and flattened.

If anyone has alternative picture settings that are good for freeviewSD please post.

You have to use the Sony wifi adapter, no other brand will work hence your Belkin dongle failed.

Ethernet cable is the best/cheapest option, homeplug next best as you've found out :)

Serviio works very well with Sony sets. A few avi are problematic, this is a limitation of the set rather than serviio. If its a problem you can manually set in Serviio your tv as a Sony 2010 series (yes 2010). Then all AVI's will be transcoded on the fly and play.

Setting there renderer to Sony Bravia rather than Sony Bravia 2011 worked.

All video files I now have now play :)

Still trying to get a decent picture on freeview sd through a loft antenna. Seems a little better.

I'm impressed with the Internet content and how everything works so well. Iplayer is particularly good. The streaming HD programmes look very good.

I'm thinking of getting the 32" CX523. What are your thoughts on the motion blur/judder? OP mentions noticeable motion blur on SD, is it comparable to other TV's in this budget?

I believe there are two models of this set 32 and 40 inch. I have the 32 inch

Internet connection
I don't have the Sony dongle. I tried a Belkin wifi dongle but it didn't work.

I tried to share my wifi through Internet connection sharing through Ethernet on a win 7 laptop. Didn't work. On a mac it worked but I couldn't see media server on my widows network.

I bought a pair of devolo dlan 500 av plus homeplugs. Worked immediately. No problems at all.

Media server
Tried lots. Twonky/windows media player/Serviio. By far the easiest was serviio. On a win 7 machine no configuration. Found a Bravia 2011 profile automatically. No problems with Streaming. With transcoding on mkv files play. Some avi files with AC3 don't seem to play via USB or streaming.

Picture settings
Used another post for a 40 inch:
Light sensor off
T.I. common
P.M. standard
Backlight 6
contrast max
brightness 54
colour 55
hue 0
c.t. cool
sharpness 87
n.r. auto
"advanced":-
B.C. high
A.C.E med
gamma 0
Auto Light Lim. med
clear white low
live col. med
det.enh. med
edge enh. med
"Scene Select" General

HD content are acceptable but SD content is blurred with noticeable motion blur. When options is pressed and the screen goes smaller the quality is very good. But blown to full screen the image seems washed out and flattened.

If anyone has alternative picture settings that are good for freeviewSD please post.

I would lower sharpness to around 20 as 87 is going to add a lot of noise (yes it may look sharp but it is artificial)

Black corrector off

advanced contrast enhancer off

Auto Light limiter off

Detail and edge enhancer off.

See where this is going?

To be honest i would change to custom picture mode (turns all the auto stuff off) as that would be much faster.

If you like artificial fair enough but it really degrades the image quality.

Next question, then why are all these "enhancers" there if they degrade the picture quality?

Answer - All manufacturers are guilty of it, all they are doing is bumping up the feature list and trying to separate themselves from the competition.

I don't own this model, i own another 2011 Sony 46inch model, and have to deal with a lot of SD content. I sit 10 feet away and find it very acceptable. Obviously HD is in another league. ;)

Hope this helps.

Aaron

I have this model and just wondering, is there a quick way to get to your 'favourites'? Seems silly pressing 'home' then going across all the to what your Faves are?

I've looked on the web and the Sony sites suggest pressing the top button where the arrows are, but that brings up Bravia sync...

The shorter way I can get is guide options guide favourites setup. Put your faves there then guide options category. Set your guide faves you just selected.

Then guide will only display your faves. You loose all channels until you change to options category all.

It's not perfect but may be better than via home.

Thanks, I had a look at this and its a good way to get favourite FV channels, but doesn't allow you to switch from an Input Channel to the freeview channel.

Ideally i'm looking for a shortcut to the Favourites/History section that's on the home menu, that gives quicker shortcuts to both FV channels and Internet Videos.

May have a gander at the Hamony commands at some point, see if they have a command

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom