1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony CRT monitor repairs

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by StooMonster, Feb 6, 2004.

1. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Anyone know how to get Sony CRT monitor repaired.

Sony UK seem to be useless on the phone and transfer from pillar to post with no end result.

StooMonster

2. RAMiAM

RAMiAM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Please say it's not so.
    Please don't tell me your FW900 is playing up.

If you watch the extras on DVD, in particular those relating to post production work (I think that's the right term), you'll nearly always see the FW900 used by editors/technicians/CGI people/etc.

BTW funny story.
    My step-sister was down the other weekend with her partner. I was setting them up with my old PC and he wouldn't have it that the FW900 is a monitor, he was adamant my PC was hooked up to a widescreen TV. I even showed him the connectors round the back but he wasn't having any of it.

RAMiAM

3. aMb

aMb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a G400 19" on its last month of its three year warranty, and started experiencing problems with the image cutting in and out etc – so i phoned sony up on a monday morning and explained the problem, they said i would be needing a replacement monitor which arrived two days later on the wednesday morning. Cant complain with the service at all, ive now got a newer model - the G420 which now has an extended warranty.

4. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Depending on how old it is and assuming the warranty has expired it may be worth replacing instead... look at the Philips 109P40 which is based around a Sony Trinitron tube and is an excellent performer. I have the older 109P20 which I paid £360 for a while back and it's still going strong.

5. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    RAMiAM, it's Private Penguin's FW900 that has gone on the blink.

It is 14 months old, and he is a fool because it's been going on for months and getting progressively worse; and he could've got it fixed for free. As it's a business screen it's going to be repaired, I am not going to fund a replacement.

Everyone else: thanks for the suggestions for other monitors, but this is the only CRT monitor I would consider; and not LCDs either, even 24" widescreen ones.

Now we are jumping though phone systems at Sony trying to find their repair, or recommendations for repairs.

StooMonster

6. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Discovered that Sony have three year manufacturers warranties - hurrah! :clap:

Now we just have to find how to get it repaired. Anyone got any clues about dealing with Sony warranties/support?

StooMonster

7. RAMiAM

RAMiAM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    :smashin: Three years. Quality news. :smashin:
    I might have my original Sony paperwork filed somewhere if you want me to dig it out to see if there is a support/contact number.

8. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    That's actually a really good point RAMiAM, I have all my paperwork for everything filed. I will have a look in the Computer Hardware (Manuals) hanging files for said manual. Wonder if there is a number?

StooMonster