1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sony crt £350 or new DLP

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by scottie, Sep 17, 2004.

1. scottie

scottie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi all

new guy here, while working in someones house we got talking and the guy ended up showing us his cinema room with new crt projector, to cut a long story short ive been offered his old sony one for £350,he said the tubes were replaced before he bought it from the previous owner who was a friend of his, is this a good deal? anything i should look for or should i go for a new DLP projector with some guarentee??

scottie

2. JMPremier

JMPremier
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What model is it?
    What condition are the tubes? you need to check the condition yourself, dont just take his word for it. He might have had it running for 1000's of hours since the tubes were replaced.

John

3. scottie

scottie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    john

dont really know what too look for condition wise, i was thinking of a projector a few weeks ago and this just so happen to come up in the last couple of days, so have been looking around and know that crt gives the best quality but the machines are bulky and tubes are dear to replace

scottie

4. helipilot

helipilot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Scottie,

I have just arrived back home from Phils place. He asked me to give him a hand to check the projector was still in good working order.

The projector is a Sony 1020QM. When I originally installed the projector the tubes were perfect. With the lenses removed the tube surfaces were all as new, completely unmarked with no sign of burns or wear at all. The projector has probably only been run for a couple of hundred hours since.

The 1020QM is a video only projector. For best results it should be used with RGB out from the dvd player being fed via 4 BNC's to the projector using a sync amplifier. Phil intends to provide the amplifier and cables with the projector. In this configuration a signal can be sent from a DVD player, a Sky digibox, PS2 or Xbox. If you want to use a VCR it can be connected via the composite input. Both inputs are working perfectly.

One of the great advantages of this particular model is that it has no fans. This means that the projector is completely silent in operation.

This particular projector should have 8000-10000 hours left in the tubes if they are not overdriven.

A new dlp projector will cost you many times what the Sony CRT will cost you. A replacement bulb alone could be several hundred pounds depending on the model. If you used the 1020 for a couple of years someone may still be interested in the projector in its own right or as a donor because the tubes are in very good condition (several sony crt's use the same tubes). A budget dlp will not produce the level of detail in dark scenes that the Sony will. A dlp projector will suffer from some degree of fan noise.

Give Phil a call and arrange to go and see the projector, there is no substitute for seeing it with your own eyes. I am sure you will not be disappointed. The Sony is a great introduction to CRT's and home cinema. The projector is fairly easy to set up and you will learn a lot without having to spend a lot of money. The colour reproduction and image quality is great when properly set up. A cheap DLP will not have the richness of colour that the Sony produces. It will give you a chance of a taste of "proper" home cinema for a modest outlay. There are better projectors available in CRT and DLP options but for simplicity of operation and value for money versus performance the little Sony is difficult to beat.

happy hunting

Alan

5. scottie

scottie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    alan

waiting for phil to call as last time i saw him(fri) he said he was going to call you to sort somthing for him

scottie

6. barcoguy

barcoguy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    look on ebay you can get a 12xx for the same price