Sony & Costco

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Sharring, Jun 21, 2002.

1. Sharring

Sharring
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am about to buy a Sony KV-32LS35 from Costco would anyone like to comment on either the TV or buying from Costco.

They are selling the TV for £928 inc VAT which I know can be found cheaper online but I like the sound of the 3 year guarantee on all purchases.

Stephen:)

2. Arch

Arch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have bought many items from Costco, admitedly not a TV but any problems I have had have met with a complete refund or replacement item with no problems or hassle.

Example last christmas bought a 14inch combined TV video in Nov, it was a christmas pressie so it wasn't used until end Dec, the video packed in at the end of Jan. Costco sent out an engineer with very prompt service he recommended having the set replaced. Went back to costco but they did not have a replacement so offered a refund no hassle at all. Can't fault there service with other items I have taken back, refund first time no hassle. Have found their prices to be very competative given that you get a good warranty included.

Hope this helps
    Arch

3. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Sharring,
    A work colleague told me she bought her mother a Panasonic TX32PL1 from Costco at a really keen price which included a free five year warranty. She was told if the set had a problem it would be swapped without quibble. What during 5 years?, I find that hard to believe.
    Never dealt with them myself, (no card), but if they do this, it sounds fantastic.

4. Arch

Arch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think your work colleague is mistaken or has had too much to drink, they will replace items but not after you have had it for a while dont know how long but the warranty which is normally 3 years is a repair warranty parts and labour onsite.

Arch

5. Arch

Arch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think your work colleague is mistaken or has had too much to drink, they will replace items but not after you have had it for a while dont know how long but the warranty which is normally 3 years is a repair warranty parts and labour onsite.

Arch

6. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The price difference between LS35s and LS60s is quite small now. You can get a Sony KV32LS60 for around £1,000. Why don't you do a price match and get that? (I have a KV28LS60, they're great TVs IMO - do a search for my review on here).

7. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Arch,
    She's talking rubbish then, I thought it sounded unlikely.

8. Arch

Arch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Definitely the warranty is a three year warranty and like any other shop they will issue refunds initially after that it is a repair, but don't let that put you off i would have no problems buying from them again as the service I had was excellent. I tjust depends on whether they have the item you want.

9. snake II

snake II

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    have costco got a contact address or web sites, please can anyone give me info on them.
    cheers

10. neiljones

neiljones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I have bought numerous items from Costco and have had no problem whatsoever with their service. My Aiwa CD stacker required attention after about three months and within one day of calling their nominated service dept. an engineer collected the item and it was returned fully functional within three days-that was five years ago-no problem since. I also purchased a portable Philips CD/Tape/Radio which needed attention after two years-although the same machine was in stock they immediately refunded my money-this was well out of their responsibility timescale because if I remember rightly the three year warranty does'nt apply to smaller electrical items.
    Just as a side issue I am after the 36" Philips 9607 TV and having seen the 9617 retailing at £300 cheaper than JL I rang their buyer to ascertain if they were soon to stock the bigger model, but alas no, not in the forseeable future.
    I eventually located the 36" for £1508 including delivery + 1 year on site warranty. Can't wait for delivery
    Thank you Saga
    Byt the way for £10 per month you can get an 8 year warranty from Norwich Union on virtually every electrical item you own-they even replace faulty Sky digiboxes.

11. Arch

Arch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Neil

Is that £120 per year per item (expensive) or £120 per year for all your goods Really cheap), must be some sort of age limit, is it new for old etc. Would appreciate some details ie policy name as this sounds quite a handy policy.

12. neiljones

neiljones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13

The policy is with Norwich Union Direct and the cost is £120 per year for nearly all electrical items i n the house-as far as I can remember the only exclusion is small portable items such as the iron and vacuem cleaner. There are two levels of policy-up to 5 years and up to 8 years which is mine. The policy is for breakdown of equipment and depends on whether it is cost effective to repair the item only claim in three years was for my PACE sky box-went wonky , rang them up and when I supplied figures for estimated repair they immediately said bin it-get a new one-I asked if I could get a Sky Plus and pay the differenc-yes no problem. The rates may vary depending on you r age, area and kids in the house but if you have washing machine,fridge,dishwasher, hi fi, satellite,tumble drier and a few t.v's, + microwaves, good value . As far as I can remember satellite dish is excluded.

13. Sharring

Sharring
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    After much deliberation over I have finally opted for a Sony KV-32LS35 from Costco.

I am mosty pleased with the set, IE the geomety almost perfect but there is considerably more flicker (50Hz) than my old Sony 25" 4:3 and I am regreting not going for a 100Hz TV.

Does anyone else have experience of this, and if so did you get used to the flicker after a while ?

PS:

This is one heavy TV, I nearly did myself an injury geting the damn thing out of the box :eek:

14. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    If you get used to the flickery picture, I think you made the right choice.

100Hz is a brilliant idea, but the digital processing in 100Hz sets is for the most part... primitive. The bottlenecks they build in are frightening. I am thinking of going back to a 50Hz set myself, unless the Philips 32PW9617 wins me back into 100Hz.

15. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Sharring,
    I used to have a Panasonic TX32PK1, the flicker was much worse than the 29" Sony 4:3 it was to replace.
    I ended up returning it and keeping the Sony.
    I personally find the flickering of 50hz large widescreens makes me want to look away rather than get a headache. 28" and smaller seem to be no problem.
    If it's available, I would swap the set you have with a Sony
    KV-32LS60 from Costco.
    The 100hz processing is very slight with this particular television, it is without "the scrolling bars", which as far as I know only affects the Sony models with DRC-MF 100hz. (FQs).

16. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    Sharring. I've merged your two threads as it didn't justify a new one. :)

17. Arch

Arch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sharring,

if the flicker is annoying package it up and take it back and tell them it's not what you expected and either get a refund or replacement, when I was looking a couple of weeks ago they had the sony KV28FQ75 not sure if they had it in the 32'' or not. But if you are not happy with it take it back now before that option is no longer available.

:p

18. Sharring

Sharring
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all

Ive decided to get a refund for the LS35 and buy the LS60, does anyone know if the stands for the two models are identical ? I don't relish disassembling one stand and assebling an idenical new stand if dont have to.

Also what would you consider a optimum viewing distance for a 32" 100Hz TV.

Stephen

19. Sharring

Sharring
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi All

I finally swaped the LS35 for the LS60 and am now a happy bunny
    . :)

Stephen

20. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Sharring,
    :D That's great to hear.
    Glad you're happy!

21. Arch

Arch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Presume you had no problems swapping the TV. As I said before i have had excellent service from them.

:D

22. Sharring

Sharring
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    No problem at all, I just turned up with the TV they opened the box to make sure everything was in order and that was it.

The only pain was the nightmare of carting a 32" WS TV & stand to the shop and back (not recommended with just you and the missus :( )