1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony connection help badly needed please.

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Cornishcelt, Feb 25, 2005.

1. Cornishcelt

Cornishcelt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    We are going back about three years here; I own a Sony DAV-S500 compact AV system and a Sony KD-32DX100U integrated digital television.

Until today they were connected (including a Sony VHS) as they were by the nice men from the Sony shop in Exeter when I bought them.

Today, we had a new carpet fitted (and had to remove them from the room) AND I decided to remove the VHS from the setup as well, so it's back to a new start on the connection side of things.

Okay, so it works OK but the only thing that seems to be taking picture and audio from the DVD to the set is one single cable that ends in a scart at the TV with only a few pins. SO, how I am going to get quality sound and video from a DVD when there is only one phono plug to scart cable (yellow)?

There is a red and white set of twin phonos that run from the TV to the DAV-S500, but these seem to be just carrying L and R sound to the S500 from the TV (to reproduce sound through the S500's amp).

To cut a long story short, and bearing in mind the connections on both (as the S500 has no scart outlets) does anyone know how these two items should be connected please? It should be the easiest thing in the world but the manual makes no sense at all, especially as the TV one recommends connecting DVD players with a scart and yet the S500 (bought with it!!) has no scart!

Any help at all welcome, it's driving me (and therefore also my wife) nuts !!

I simply want to make sure that when I play a DVD (film) I get the best possible sound and video via the TV and S500.

:lease:

2. wicket

wicket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I thought the Sony systems outputted in s-video which is the second best system to RGB. The s-video plug is a small round black plug with rectangular holes. It should be possible to use a s-video lead from your system to your Sony tv. However, the input on your tv could be under the front panel which would look untidy. I believe you can buy a s-video plug lead at one end and a scart at the other, which would allow you to connect your dvd player direct to your tv's s-video scart, usually the second one. I know Maplins do a little scart adapter that has a s-video input on it, which allows a s-video cable to be connected to the tv.

However, I am not sure whether you are watching via a s-video scart cable now, the best way to check is to plug it in your s-video scart, turn your dvd player on, then skip through the different av inputs till you get to the s-video one and see if you are seeing a picture, if so, you are watching by the best means already. However, if you are using some sort of adapter that just has composite yellow, red and white plugs in it you won't be.