Sony CMT-SPZ90DB Sound output problem

spike47

Novice Member
Hi

I have a Sony CMT-SPZ90DB and there is a problem were there is only sound when I use the headphones, no sound out of the speakers !, any idea what the problem could be ?.

cheers

Spike

muljao

Most systems cut off speaker sound when headphones are plugged in

gibbsy

It's a standard set up certainly on all the stereo amps and AV amps with a headphone circuit that I've owned. Not a fault with your Sony.

spike47

Novice Member
Hi Guys
Thanks for your reply, it only has sound when I plug the headphones in, no sound out of speakers when the headphones are dissconnected !.
cheers
Spike

spike47

Novice Member
SM for it, just got it now, bit late now will have a look tomorrow.
cheers
Spike

Attachments

• Service Manual Sony CMT-SPZ90DB .pdf
    5 MB · Views: 57

Khazul

Could be any number of things. C heck the speaker wiring for shorts (stray wires) that may trigger protection. Otherwise could be a problem with the PSU to the power amp stage, or power amp chip died etc...

Unless something trivial, probably not worth fixing. I had an old Sony HT+DVD system blow up (literally load pop and smoke) a few years back - a quick look inside and even with my electronic background - just not worth bothering to try to fix - Sony specific parts, specialized tools needed for soldering SMT part etc and even if I could get the parts (if still even available), cost would have almost paid for a minimal budget AVR on sale etc.

Easiest fix may be buying a second hand unit damaged unit and transferring working work, but likely a damaged unit probably has the same problem.

spike47

Novice Member
Could be any number of things. C heck the speaker wiring for shorts (stray wires) that may trigger protection. Otherwise could be a problem with the PSU to the power amp stage, or power amp chip died etc...

Unless something trivial, probably not worth fixing. I had an old Sony HT+DVD system blow up (literally load pop and smoke) a few years back - a quick look inside and even with my electronic background - just not worth bothering to try to fix - Sony specific parts, specialized tools needed for soldering SMT part etc and even if I could get the parts (if still even available), cost would have almost paid for a minimal budget AVR on sale etc.

Easiest fix may be buying a second hand unit damaged unit and transferring working work, but likely a damaged unit probably has the same problem.
Hi
Thanks for your reply, I just thought with the ear phones working there wouldn’t be much wrong with it, although when I opened it up, there seems to be a lot more in itthan other Mini Hi-Fi units I have opened up , I will have a look around and see if there is something to be done !.
cheers
Spike

spike47

Novice Member
Amp board, anything on this to check, is there a protection part on there to check for blown ?.

cheers
Spike

Attachments

• IMG_2471.JPG
    IMG_2471.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 8

spike47

Novice Member
4 Brown parts are 9 Z65-105 , the 4 grey parts are ( C100-YS ) have no idea what the latter is !, is there a component on there that would act has a protection/overload ?, there is 2 components top right marked (MF) have no idea also what they are .

spike47

Novice Member
Hi
All sorted now, there was a factory reset sequence that I have managed to find and all is working good, I am a very happy person today, thanks for all your replies .

cheers
Spike

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom