• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

djgeorgef

Novice Member
Hi all,

I’m just trying to upcycle my Sony cmt-mx550i shelf stereo system. It was a very good (and quite expensive) system when I first bought it and i am generally happy with the unit.

The only gripe I have is the now outdated 30pin iPod dock and would like to make it Bluetooth compatible.

Ive yet to find a 30 pin Bluetooth adaptor that is compatible with this stereo.

I have been using a usb Bluetooth receiver with a 3.5mm aux cable to the aux in. But this is a little untidy and as picky as it sounds I would prefer the display to say “iPod” rather than “audio in”

Is there a way of making the dock think that there is an iPod fitted so that I could inject audio line in through the iPod dock? Once I have proven it works I would mount the components inside the cover to make it discreet.

I have read the 30pin pinout schematics and the audio is on pins 2,3 and 4. And I’ve read that there needs to be 3.3v on pin 18 to wake the dock but does anyone know what else would be required to “trick” the stereo into thinking the audio input would be from an iPod, if it’s possible at all??!!

Thanks in advance

dannnielll

Prominent Member
An interesting question, to which I would like an answer. . What you need is a sex changer so that the fitting on the bottom of an iPhone can mate and then have a usb port.

dannnielll

Prominent Member
Yes but i assume it would still need to “stimulate” the stereo into thinking a iPod was docked
I don't know, my car stereo will very happily take a usb connection from an itouch, and give me full navigation of my ITouch music using the cars controls. I would assume that these connections are automatically made in the napping of a usb to 30 pin.
I did see Bluetooth dongles which fit neatly into the apple connection on Amazon.
My particular interest is that the Harmann Kardon AVR i recently acquired has an adaptor for the apple products,and it would suit me to attach my usb sony player or better a hard drive instead.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom