Sony CMT-CPX11 Hi Fi - Extending Speaker Cables

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by chrispardo, Feb 21, 2013.

1. chrispardo

chrispardo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I've got a Sony CMT-CPX11 Hi Fi that must be around 8 years old now. I use it as my computer speakers, so the 2 speakers themselves sit on my desk with the main unit on a bookcase next to it.

I'm looking to rearrange the furniture in my office, and would like to move the bookcase away from the desk, while keeping the speaker where they are. The problem is that the cable to the speakers is already at it's maximum, so I need to extend them.

You'll have to excuse me for my lack of correct terminology...

The end of the cable that goes into the speakers looks 'fixed' in place, so there's no way to disconnect it. At the other end, the end that goes into the hi fi unit, has what I assume is a proprietary plug on the end rather than spring clips. It looks something like this (taken from the manual):

[​IMG]

I've found a 'connector' that looks like it's meant to couple these types of plugs together (Currys partmaster.co.uk - Sony Speaker Cable Connector), but no extension cable (even though that page mentions one).

Is there a simpler solution to all of this? Are these types of plugs common, or something unique to Sony/this model?

2. formbypc

formbypc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    Leave those plugs in place, cut the cable at a convenient point, and splice in extension cable using suitable 'standard' connectors, not the Sony ones.

Maplin or similar electronics supplier for standard connectors

If you don't mind the ugly solution, these would do the job

http://www.heating-parts.co.uk/product.asp?prd=281692

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013