Sony - Clouding - Retailers that are fine with return

BosjeR

Standard Member
Hi!

I've read so many posts about this issue my eyes will start bleeding soon.

However, the only information I did not find was specific stories about the return of a 'cloudy' Sony.

I'd like to buy a 46W2000 but I need to be sure the place I buy it from accepts 'clouding' as reason for replacement. So I thought it might be useful for others as well to have a thread like this?

This is a question specifically for people that bought a 'cloudy' Sony and returned it:

Where did you buy the TV from and was there a lot of hassle getting the TV replaced?

Thanks!

ßeta

Novice Member
Returned my 2 day old W2000 yesterday after little bit of work to Currys UK. Albeit the Manager there was not helpful at first until I spoke to the What Happens Next Insurance guys which gave me a return code.

marcstang

If you are a member at costco or know someone who is a member I'd suggest you get it from there. They have a 3 year no questions asked return policy with full money back and currently carry the 46"W2000.

BosjeR

Standard Member
Sadly no access to costco :(

What about Empire Direct? Any experiences there in returning a cloudy Sony?

BosjeR

Standard Member
Mailed ED directly with the question if I'd be able to get a replacement if my set would have clouding. This is their response:

"The issue with clouding is news to me. We would state that if the TV is within manufactures tolerances, then you would not get a replacement.

This issue would need to be discussed directly with Sony."

Dealing with Sony directly might be a pain about this I guess?

R

Raven1907

Mailed ED directly with the question if I'd be able to get a replacement if my set would have clouding. This is their response:

"The issue with clouding is news to me. We would state that if the TV is within manufactures tolerances, then you would not get a replacement.

mate don't bother with sony, they deem it a byproduct of the LCD manufacturing process.

I returned mine to john lewis after 15 minutes on the phone with some guy called james in AV, he was reluctant but i put my foot down, after that he was very helpful.

John Lewis pal, just get one from there at a price match, if i'm being honest i wouldn't even bother with a w2000, its like a 5% chance you'll get one cloud free.

BosjeR

Standard Member
The problem is that I want a 46W2000 and I haven't seen any succesful price matches for those so I'd end up paying £2,600 while ED has it for £1,700. Big difference... not sure what to do. I was happy when I made up my mind what set to get and then I came here and read all the cloud-issues.

Getting a good, big TV is :suicide:

asimm

The problem is that I want a 46W2000 and I haven't seen any succesful price matches for those so I'd end up paying £2,600 while ED has it for £1,700. Big difference... not sure what to do. I was happy when I made up my mind what set to get and then I came here and read all the cloud-issues.

Getting a good, big TV is :suicide:

BosjeR - Sony Centre in Bluewater do it for 2499, 5 year gurantee, top of the range Sony DVD/HD recorder (250G) included.
I spent a long time considering the two sizes but went for the 40" and don't regret it - the set is pretty big.

kar1181

Novice Member

Wouldn't buy anything from them then... Definitely not.

nanaman

Standard Member
Just to drag this thread from the dead. Empire Direct have happily replaced my cloudy 46w3000. Still waiting for delivery tho....fingers crossed

KeanosMagicHat

Novice Member
If you are a member at costco or know someone who is a member I'd suggest you get it from there. They have a 3 year no questions asked return policy with full money back .....

Just to update this for other prospective buyers.

Costco now offer a 5 year warranty as standard. They also will now ask questions, although if the TV has a definite fault, like intrusive clouding, they will honour the refund / replace.

They had to change the "no questions" policy as chancers were taking perfectly good TV's back just before the warranty end and lying to get a refund / replacement.

Some people eh?

Anyway it's good news for those with genuine faults as the warranty is now 5 years and the prices are still as keen.

markrl

Novice Member
Costco warranty now 90 days for instore swap, after that 5 year warranty with onsite engineers visit. Rather unsuprisingly the previous setup was being seriously abused.

J

JDM121

why would you want the w2000 its an old tv! there are many better models out there!

ChrisGgr

I have to agree what about a 46W4000?Its pretty strange you can still find it

markrl

Novice Member
Absolutely correct :clap:

Their warranty is still one of the best about, the changes have been forced upon them by the ******s who return their TV set just prior to its 3rd birthday in order to get a free upgrade to a later model. Once again the minority spoil it for the many.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips TV Launch Event, Soundbar vs AVR, Samsung EzCAL and more...
Top Bottom