1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony Clie

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by Marcus Wood, Jun 22, 2003.

1. Marcus Wood

Marcus Wood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I remember hearing recently that Sony had introduced a Clie specifically designed to be used as a remote. Does anyone know any more about these?

I have a feeling it might not be ideal for me, because I could do with the rf facility and dedicated hard buttons for volume etc. I'm about to get a Pronto NG, but I thought I should check out the Clie options before I place the order.

2. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +932
    if sony have done what dell (with thier axim) have done, they've beefed up the ir transmitter to "commercial quality" meaning it has the distance to drive tellys et al. dont think they'll do rf tho, just ir.

same goes for the "sleeves" you can get - they just do ir too

3. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having had my Axim for a week now, I concur with Messiah - it's the business :clap:

Had a Clie last year - didn't have much luck with it. The Axim is sooooo much more than a colour remote - add a £27 IR extender (not had it working yet :( ) & you've got one snazzy piece of HC equipment/gadget.

Seriously have a look at this too before making a decision.

:smoke:

4. Marcus Wood

Marcus Wood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for the advice on this, but I think I'm going to go for the Pronto NG.

I tried one out the other day and it seems fine, although some people have said they prefer the old one.

5. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Kramer, am I right in thinking you're using the Axim without IR booster at the moment? You don't happen to be using an IRMan on your HCPC do you? If so, how's the range?

I had a play with my old Palm 3x a while ago, and using the IRMan, the range was pretty good, but the codes were coming through scrambled - not sure if it was the distance, the software on the Palm, or that fact the Palm is on its last legs.

I have the opportunity to but a new PDA for "work", and the Axim seems the sensible (cheap) choice. if I can get away without the IR extender, then I can use the CF slot for wirefree japery...