1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony Cineza loosing Synch?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Gavin_Hall, Jul 21, 2002.

1. Gavin_Hall

Gavin_Hall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    I'm in need of some expert help! Basically my Sony HS-1 Cineza projector appears to be loosing synch on very bright scenes. I have the projector connected via the Component out of my Tosh 210e to my HS-1, whenever a very bright scene is shown (explosion, full sun etc) the the picture has a band across it just as if it were loosing synch. The attached screen shot should , show it, apologies for the quality it was against a wall with a speaker in the way!

The break-up is clearly scene two-thirds of the way down the picture, with a bend in the image.

However, if I connect the projector to the s-video output and play the same scene, then the picture is ok, no bends, all looking great. Any suggestions? Apart for speaking to Sony that is :)

cheers

Gavin

Attached Files:

2. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It might be a macrovision problem or a bad cable. What version of firmware do you have?. I think if you press POWER - ZOOM - 6 - 0 - 6 - ZOOM it displays your firmware version. Also I take it that you have checked that all the cables are connected correctly?.

http://www.techtronics.com/uk/shop/87-00-video-standards-ntsc-pal.html

http://www.techtronics.com/uk/shop/510-vcr-mode-and-macrovision.html

Another thing it could be is that you could try forcing the output on the DVD player or the input on the projector to Component and not AUTO if there is such an option. If all else fails then its probably a faulty cable or the DVD player or macrovision.

3. Hex

Hex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow that's bizar!

cant realy offer any usefull advice or possible reason for it doing it however, I can suggest just using SVID if the problem isnt happening with that! that'll cure it :)

Sorry

Hex

4. Gavin_Hall

Gavin_Hall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Thanks for the suggestions guys. I am using the bespoke Sony cable that cost £80, so it should be ok!!!! Well it wants to be anyway! The projector is set to Component and I can confirm that it is definately receiving component from the menu displays.

The player was modified at Techtronics, so it should have had macrovision removed. I wonder if it's a DVD player issue or not, I probably need to find another player with component output to test against.

It has got me completely stumped, the other wierd thing is I was expecting component to be vastly better that s-Video, well I can't tell the difference, I wonder if that has anything to do with it?

Oh well I guess I'll be calling Sony tomorrow.

Gavin

5. MainMan

MainMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gavin: I too have a Tosh 210 and Sony HS1 PJ, although I use an Ixos component cable via the IFU-HS1 switch box.
    Maybe if you could tell me a scene of a DVD-movie (I have mostly R2), where the mentioned problem appears, I could test for you if mine does the same. Haven't seen it though. My Tosh is also chipped.

I also find the component and S-video connection types to be really close in quality. (via Profigold S-vid cable).

6. Gavin_Hall

Gavin_Hall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Mainman, if you can test it that would be great. The one scene I now know frame by frame is in Shrek!! Right at the end when the Princess turns into the Ogre, there is a lot of light, stars, flashes etc and as you may be able to see from the screen shot, the synch is lost for a second or two. My copy of Shrek is Region 1, but I have seen the problem on R2 discs so that shouldn't be an issue.

One thing I have also noticed is that the projector doesn't do this when I first test it out, ie when it's cold. Give it a minute or two on the same scene and it gradually gets worse and worse :-( I basically set up an A-B repeat and sit back an enjoy ;-)

I have arranged on Thursday to take my projector back to Sevenoaks Hifi to see if it's the projector or Tosh that's causing the problem. They did originally suggest turning the contrast and brightness down in case that was causing it, well I did that and it didn't make any difference.

cheers

Gavin

7. MainMan

MainMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gavin: I've now tested the scene in Shrek (mine is R2) - I played the scene around twelve times just after one another. I did not see any problems in the picture, it's perfectly stable. What this tells you about your problem, I'm not sure, but there you go. Good luck.

8. Gavin_Hall

Gavin_Hall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Thanks for takig the time to check this for me. I have now taken both the DVD player and projector back to Sevenoaks Hi-fi. It looks as though it's the DVD player that is at fault and not the projector.

We played the same scene on a R1 and R2 disc of Shrek on another player, admittedly a Denon, and the projector was fine. Tried a region 2 version of Shrek on my player and the projector was fine, tried it with a region 1 version of Shrek and the picture tore/lost synch, so it's an NTSC issue aswell. Tried the same combination on the Denon player and each time the projector was fine.

So I think that points the finger of guilt at my Tosh 210. Unless the Denon is outputting a different type of component signal?? My only trouble now is the player is over 12 months and it was modded at Techtronics. I don't think I can be arsed to send it back for the repair, which no doubt they won't be able to find a fault. I think I'll stick with the s-video input as the difference in quality between that and component is virtually zero and then save up for a new progressive player ;)

Which brings me onto the next question, I always expected Component to be vastly better than s-video, for me with the Tosh 210 and Sony HS-1 it is virtually the same. Can anybody enlighten me as to why that should be?

cheers

Gavin