1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony Cineza: Lens filter, service menu?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by MainMan, Jun 17, 2002.

1. MainMan

MainMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just got this projector, and to my surprise there was an attachable lens filter in the box with a note explaining that it should up the contrast levels. I hadn't heard about a filter being supplied with the Cineza before - does anyone have any experience with this?

It's a pinkish/purplish filter (maybe like the Hoya FL-D filter that seems so popular?) - and it does seem to darken the greys at the expense of some brightness and perhaps a little colour-shifting. Haven't given it my final verdict yet. For now I'm in favour of it.

Another matter: How do you enter the service menu!? And what's the "good stuff" in there to play around with?

And finally another one for you fellow Cinezans (!), do you find this projector to give the best results with PAL or with NTSC DVD's? (Using the internal scaler and deinterlacer).

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow- something new from Sony? When was the projector manufactured?

3. MainMan

MainMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Diseaseboy: Hmm don't know about manufacture date, how can I tell? All I know is that I waited for it for a while due to a lack of stock at the retailer, supposedly going all the way to a shortage at the main European distributor, which is in Belgium, according to my sources.

bob: Why should it be a grey import? Well, mine is coming relatively directly from the national Sony distributor, although via one or two stations (I spoke to Sony myself).
    The filter should be official enough, as there is an accompanying explanatory note with Sony's name on it...

Luckily I haven't found ANY pixel faults yet (ca. 15 hours) - and I've looked! Fingers crossed.

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any updates on your experience with the filter? Anyone else have a filter come with the cineza?

5. MainMan

MainMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Regarding the filter: Well, I've left it on for now, after having experimented a little bit. While the filter doesn't give you any more details in the darker parts of the image, I find the darkening of the greys an advantage. Things seem less hazy and somewhat more contrasty.
    The filter does take some punch out of the brightness, but provided you use a darkened room, this isn't really a problem, imo. Unless you blow up a really big image, maybe. I suppose it does alter the colour balance a bit, but not in any bad way, I think. And I guess you could always tinker with it in the service menu? Haven't tried this.

6. neo-uk

neo-uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi MainMan i have phoned up sony and sent them an email there is no such filter for this projector i have even looked at the american austrian and japan site and thay dont know what the hell i`m on about so your telling lies me thinks or the company you bought it from put the lens in the box for you as sony do not do sucj an itam for this projector phoned them and emails 4 diffrent countrys with no joy m8

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is a filter. I have seen some Japan importers advertise the new June 2002 Cineza model as definately having the filter.

8. neo-uk

neo-uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well two thing one you said the june model has the filter but the orig post was may so how can he have one

2 i dont live in japan pointless as i dont speak japanes
    all i know is you can not get on in the uk so
    theres no way we can get one and where did you see this review i can not find it

9. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dude, calm down. He posted the topic on 6/17. All I can say is that I have seen one japanese import place here (USA) advertise the new Japanese June 2002 Cineza as now having a filter. I do think it exists-as for other the UK Sony not knowing about it- it is probably true. They all don't know what is going on in other countries. The US Sony didn't even know that Austrailian Sony sold a ceiling mount for the Cineza.

10. MainMan

MainMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As for the filter: neo-uk, I really can't imagine what I would gain from saying that a filter came with my projector, if it actually didn't!? Well, anyhow here's some hard evidence :)

Exhibit A: The actual filter itself

Attached Files:

11. MainMan

MainMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...And

Exhibit B: The notice from Sony regarding the filter:

Attached Files:

12. chicken balti

chicken balti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MainMan,

A few questions. Is it a glass filter? Can you tell if it is a cc30r or cc40r, or whatever? What is the size of the filter? I was just wondering if it would slip on to an 11HT?

Cheers

13. MainMan

MainMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    chicken balti: Hmm, could you direct me to some info about the filters you mention? Then I could maybe answer your questions.

Thanks

14. chicken balti

chicken balti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The filter in question is the one that was supplied with your PJ. Is there a reference on the filter that relates to a CC (colour correction) rating, CC30R and CC40R are examples that you might find.

Cheers

15. Russ

Russ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Guys,

I don't know if you are aware of the information at this web site, but it will probably help the discussion.

I would certainly ask Steve for his recommendations ! It looks like the new VPL-VW12HT may also have a filter included after Steve's work with the VPL-VW-11HT.

Its all down to the colour of the projector bulb.

Russ

http://www.smartavtweaks.com/

16. Dick Scratcher

Dick Scratcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Russ,

Thanks for the link. I've checked out Steve Smallcombe's site a few times but didn't notice the link to the Enhanced HT site. Wow. Proper filters for the 10 and 11HT with neato mountings that slip over the lens hood. Ordered one and it should be here in 5 days. More work for Gordon I'm afraid.

17. neo-uk

neo-uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MainMan where did you get your projector can you give me the info as i have phoned sony and thay dont know what i`m talking about did you get it in the uk is it a japanes model strange can not find it anyware here is there any tel phone no with the projector that might help would love to get my hands on one

thanks

do`s it kill the light i mean the jump out at you picture and how much would you say it helps the black

18. MainMan

MainMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    chicken balti: Dunno about the CC's, there's no mention of it anywhere. It measures 5,5 cm in total diameter (incl. the mounting), and the glass part 4,1 cm. Oh yes, I do believe it's made of glass...

neo-uk: I got the PJ in Denmark, where I live. The store I got it from themselves got it from the Danish Sony distributor, I believe, and they in turn got it from the main European distributor, which is in Belgium. That's my knowledge of it anyway.

Regarding the effect of the filter: I can't say much more than what I did in my third post in this thread. Beyond that, it pretty much bolis down to personal taste and specific conditions (of the material watched, the brightness level in the viewing room, etc.)

I don't seem to be able to really adjust that much in the service menu (gamma, selective colour adjustments, etc.). Could anyone with a cineza help with this aspect?

19. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  20. kurben

kurben

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    JRWood: Were you able to flip the picture on your CS1?

I have tried doing this on my CX1 but on that option it is not possible on mine. I tried both with the factory meny and service meny.

/Kurben

21. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    kurben: No the option was disabled and besides the only way I can mount a projector on the ceiling is if its 8 foot from the screen so its hidden from the living room, but it would give me a very small projected image!. I dont want to spoil the living room by having it hanging in there. You might want to checkout the french forums and ask there as no doubt someone else has tried harder and perhaps succeeded?. Anyway I much prefer having the projector behind the sofa on a projector stand, have you tried this?.

btw I have the Sony VPL-CX1 too, I personally think having a horizontal resolution of 1024 is far greater than 800 simply from reading peoples posts about 'vertical banding'. It seems that the 1024 pixels gets rid of this problem? because I dont see it on my projector :).

Perhaps if Sony made the VPL-CX1-Home Theatre Edition with built in filter, 30db noise instead of 36db and native widescreen 1024x600 panel and ceiling mountable for £1500 they would make a lot of sales!.

/James

22. kurben

kurben

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For the moment I have my CX1 in a bookshelf behind my sofa so it is not a big problem for me but I would prefer to have it on the top o that shelf instead.

I will build a hush box for it instead and put it in the same shelf as the shelf is pretty deep, about 38 cenimeters. I will build it in 12 mm MDF board and it will have one fan for exhaust. The fan is 12 cm big and with low RPM with tempcontrol.

See included picture

Attached Files:

23. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    kuben: That picture makes me want to build one now! :). Great picture and perhaps the needed inspiration I need. I think my DIY currently involves painting and decorating but have never made anything from wood except perhaps many years ago at a Craft Design Technology course!. What materials are you going to build it out of?. Why did you choose the box to be that height?.

I think the key thing with the CX1 is that when your facing the projector most of the heat is coming from the right hand side.

24. kurben

kurben

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The reason I went for such a big box is because it will fit exactly in my book shelf and also because of the risk of overheating in a small box. But I think it would be possible to use a smaller box but then it would not fit as neatly in my shelf.

I will make it in 12mm MDF or LDF and I will only need to have a nice front on it so I will probably use a selfadhasive wood textured vinyl that matches my book case in Pine wood. The bottom, top,sides and back will not be visible so they can be painted or something.
    And also but not visible on the picture, the front will have hinges to able to open it and adjust the picture.

I will make a similar box for my HTPC. I want to have a completly silent room. The pc will also be in the same book shelf. It is in my opinion that you can never get a PC quiet when you have it in a standard case.

See included PC Hushbox.

Attached Files:

25. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds great, look forward to any pictures you may take when its completed :). I currently use a tower pc which is hidden from the room because its behind the second sofa. Im thinking of going the shuttle pc route though, perhaps a shuttle with p4 1.6ghz cpu and radeon, lite-on dvd drive and wintv go...that would fit nicely in my hifi rack.

I think with my hushbox I will cut a round hole to enable the lens of the projector to protrude from the hushbox by a few mm. Im still very tempted though by this new Sony Cineza VPL-HS10...seems what Ive been waiting for.

26. kurben

kurben

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am also thinking of using a tube of some kind instead of the glass, as you probably know it has to be a antireflection type of glass inorder to not loose any light output and those are pretty expensive. If I use a ordinary type of simple glass I will loose around 4% light output, but will I notice it? I will see what I can come up with.

I will take pictures during the build so that I can put the whole instruction on a website later on, and also measure the soundlevel.

Yes the new Sony HS10 seems to be very nice, but I will not buy any new proj for a while. I will keep this one for long.

/Kurben

27. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree once this projector is tweaked it really is a nice projector apart from its noise :). I must admit having spent only £1299 on it and read about others peoples problems of dead pixels, colour uniformity, vertical banding and screendoor I think to myself I am a very luck projector owner :).

Do you have the HOYA HMC FL-D filter?, I plan to have that fixed on the projector so it protects the Sony lens. I take it your using a grey screen too with a HTPC?.

Do you plan to have a temperature sensor in the hush box?, Im not sure if the Sony VPL-CX1 switches itself off if it gets too hot, I think the lamp light just comes on warning you.

28. kurben

kurben

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For the moment I am not using a grey screen but I will test it.

What is a HOYA HMC FL-D filter ? Are you using it and does it make the image better?

Yes I will have a temp censor inside the box with alarm on 35 C.

/Kurben

29. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I think you will be very surprised what this projector can do by using a grey screen. If you checkout my other thread I go into some detail on what makes this projector just fantastic except for the noise it makes! :).

I now use the HOYA HMC FL-D filter all the time now, I used to take it off for some bright films like toy story because whites were not white but now I have repainted my MDF screen to Dulux ICESTORM 6 matt finish instead of ICESTORM 5 (darker grey) I have now achieved perfect whites and much deeper blacks thanks to the light grey home made screen and the HOYA filter :).

You can read what I've done to pretty much double the contrast ratio on my CX1 here http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=43411

its the last post in that thread :).

btw have you gone into the factory/service menu to tweak the projector?. Although the settings really come into their own when your using a grey screen.