1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony Cineza HS1 ceiling mount

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Gavin_Hall, May 7, 2002.

1. Gavin_Hall

Gavin_Hall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    I have recently bought the Cineza HS1 and would be *very* interested to see / hear the success stories for ceiling mounting this beast! :)

I see in Oz you can buy the official ceiling mount bracket. Go to www.sony.com.au and search for the part# PSSHS1. The question I wonder is ...how much? What have other HS1 owners done to ceiling mount their projectors?

cheers

Gavin

2. Gavin_Hall

Gavin_Hall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Just as an update, I have asked a friend in Australia to enquire about this official Sony ceiling mount. It costs AU$420 incl Tax, which equates to about £155. We obviously don't pay AU$ Tax, so can claim that back. I have asked for shipping costs from Australia to the UK.

I have also asked Sony UK for the mount, their reply was the HS-1 cannot be ceiling mounted! I suggested to them they may want to talk to their Australian counterparts who may put them straight. They are going to get back to me....

Gavin

3. Kevin Harris

Kevin Harris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Gavin,

I do not have a digital camera or I would take a few snaps, I will try to explain what I have done and hope you can paint a picture in your mind.

Here goes:

I have a 2" diameter pole to which I have pushed through my ceiling and clamped to one of my rafters in my loft. The pole hangs just over a foot from my ceiling.

I opened the table top stand you get with the projector and striped it down to give me the semi-circle section that clips onto the projector out of the stand, I have then attached this into the pole and cliped removed semi-circle section of the stand back onto the projector.

I have not in any way damaged the original stand and could put it back together if i needed too.

So my ceiling mout cost me nothing other than a 4 hour task of running cables up my walls and down the inside of tube to the projector.

you will get a better idea if you were to open the stand and you will see what I mean.

Cheers

Kev.

4. Gavin_Hall

Gavin_Hall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Kevin,

Wow what an ingenious idea! I assume the Projector/stand connection is strong enough to take the weight of the projector, guess it must be if you are doing it :)

I will have to take a look at the projector stand to get a clearer understanding of what you've done. I have a spare pole in my garage, it was used as a satellite dish mount, looks like I'll have a new use for it.

cheers

Gavin

5. Gavin_Hall

Gavin_Hall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Kevin,

I think I'm going to need a photo :) I have taken the projector stand apart....this is the plastic one that comes with the projector isn't it? I just can't see what you connect your pole onto?

I can't see the semi-circle section your referring to. To save some guessing I have taken a few photos of my stand. Can you point out where your have mounted the pole?

cheers

Gavin

Attached Files:

6. Kevin Harris

Kevin Harris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Gavin,

Your picture looks like the way I have my projector.

you see the metal "T" shaped bracket that sticks out from the circular section ontop of the projector in your picture, I cut slits in the pole that hangs from the ceiling. I then slid the metal "T" bracket into the pole and crimped the pole below the newly inseted bracket.

-------------------------------------
    ¦ ¦
    ¦ ¦ ¦
    ¦ ¦ ¦
    ¦ ¦
    --------------------------------------

Pole side view, same slit on the other side.

It is not very easy to explain but I hop ethis helps.

Cheers

Kev