1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony Cineza HS-1 Ceiling mount - Reply from Sony UK!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Gavin_Hall, May 13, 2002.

1. Gavin_Hall

Gavin_Hall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Having not totally given up on Sony UK's ability to provide the ceiling mount for the Sony Cineza HS-1, I asked a Sony reseller to make further enquiries within Sony as to the merits/issues with the Ceiling mount. I had forwarded them the instructions from this forum and requested a response. This is the reply from Sony:-

"
    Yes this will work but we do not recomend it.

The risk is that a customer might missadjust other items in the Factory mode that could make the projcetor unusable and would require the service to readjust the projcetor.

Basically the customer will lose warranty if the unit is found in ceiling mode.

In addition the engineers in Tokyo are concerned about the internal temperature and also the effect of dust that is much more easy to sit on the projector once mounted on the ceiling.
    "

This probably raises more questions than it answers, one of which is, if the ceiling mount is such an issue with dust/temperature then why do Sony Australia sell an official mount for it?

cheers

Gavin

2. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,518
    cos the Sony projectors in Austrialia are er.....down under, so their picture is already upside down...? :) LOL

3. Kevin Harris

Kevin Harris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gavin,

Dont worry about Sony finding the projector in ceiling mode.

If you just switch your projector to ceiling mode and just put your projector into standby mode it will stay in ceiling mode. When you switch it off at the mains it will revert to table top mode again, the default value. Just dont save the setting in the factory menu.

As to the temp issue I doubt it really is an issue as the ambient temp in the UK is much lower than in OZ.

Just Sony UK have no idea and always hve to get the guys in Japan to do all the thinking.

Cheers

Kev

4. Kevin Harris

Kevin Harris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Gavin,

Just wondering if the reply you got from SONY has put you off ceiling mounting your Cineza.

I have had mine mounted for over 4 months now and it is the only option really, I found having it as a table top projector it was always in the way and somtimes put me off using it. As it has been on the ceiling I just switch it on and away you go.

Just to point out again if you do not save the changes for ceiling mount in the menu it will revert back to table top mode when you plug it back in, but if you always leave it in standby mode it will stay in ceiling mode untill the PLUG is removed from the wall.

Cheers

Kev

5. Gavin_Hall

Gavin_Hall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Kevin, No Sony's reply has not put me off in the slightest. I am having a slight logistical nightmare at the moment trying to decide where to best mount the projector to give the image size I need!!

I have just taken delivery of an 80" screen which on hindsight is too large...doh!!! Where I was planning on mounting the projector won't be far back enough, I've got to sweet talk the missus :)

cheers

Gavin

6. Kevin Harris

Kevin Harris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's never big enough :)

Did you work out what I was getting at on how I have my projector ceiling mounted, if not when you are at that stage let me know and I will try to explain again or maybe we could use the tried and tested ye old phone system.

Cheers

Kev.

7. Gavin_Hall

Gavin_Hall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Kev, thanks for the offer of help. I *think* I know what you did, I have yet to persuade SWMBO that the new location for the ceiling mount is a good idea.....I think this may be one battle I may loose :-( Where I had originally planned to mount it we had a step in the ceiling, the projector would have set against the step, hidden from view. This location won't provide an 80" image so I have to move the projector back into the main seating area and of course the Wife Acceptance Factor becomes an issue, she won't have "that thing in the middle of the ceiling!"

The only plus point is that when it's ceiling mounted it will be out of the way from the children.

cheers

Gavin