1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony Cineza DIY Ceiling mount :-)

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Gavin_Hall, Aug 7, 2002.

1. Gavin_Hall

Gavin_Hall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    Long post coming....sorry!

I know this has been covered before with people creating their own ceiling mounts for this beast, seeing as Sony refuse to make one over in the UK! I also know Kevin Harris has created his own, well I have eventually put my mind to it and created my own, the thing is I need some re-assurance as to what I've done won't result in it coming crashing down in a month's time :eek:

To start with I took apart the base unit, removing the blue/green foot, to reveal just the green/blue coloured base dome.

[​IMG]

Within this dome is a metal t-shaped object that provides the resistance when you adjust the angle/position of the projector.

[​IMG]

I then took some threaded rod, M7 in size I think and filed two sides of down (about 1mm each side) so that it would fit into the slot within the metal holder. I then pushed the metal rod into the metal holder, attached two bolts at the end to act as the support and then to stop any posibility of slippage.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I then put the blue/green back over the rod, re-attached to the Projector so all I now need to do is hang it from the ceiling. I now have the abililty to adjust the position of the projector just as before when it was on a cabinet, this time it's gravity providing the resistance, rather than a spring lever.

[​IMG]

Now my question is, do you think the plastic blue/green dome is strong enough to take the weight of the projector? It feels as though it is, but hey that could be a major mistake!!

Last question, any suggestions for the best way of mounting this to the ceiling. I would obviously need to attach the metal rod to the joists somehow. I was thinking of using "U" brackets, just like they use for Satellite dish mounts.

If I wanted to make it all look pretty I can simply buy some white tubing to go over the metal rod, this will then also provide a means to conceal the cables dropping down from the ceiling.

I hope this helps other Sony Cineza owners to knock together their own ceiling mounts :)

cheers

Gavin

2. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +320
    Pics 3 and 4 down: Couldn't you use something a bit more substantial than the washer, something a bit wider and longer??

Looks neat btw :)

3. Gavin_Hall

Gavin_Hall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    True, but unfortunately it's all I had in the garage, just to prove this concept :) Before I finally mount it to the ceiling I'll visit B&Q and buy a larger washer to completely cover the hole.

cheers

4. Zef

Zef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I agree, something like a piece of ply shaped to fit or a slice of aluminium would spread the load a bit better.

Also how is the "dome" attached to the PJ Base ?. It looks like a locking mechanism type. suggestion to sink a couple of self tapping screws in a couple of the "lugs" after locking in the dome.

The tubing covering is a good idea - as for hanging - well you could go right through the joist or makeup some sort of rail as you say to "hang" over the joist.

Good luck!

5. Gavin_Hall

Gavin_Hall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    Zef, thanks for the suggestions. I think I could probably use a cut metal mounting bracket, you know the "L" shaped ones with holes at regular intervals, that should spread the load a little better.

Yes the dome is locked into place by way of a little catch. Once locked a button needs to be depressed to release the lock and therefore the dome. The dome doesn't move unless this button is pressed, I think this is safe...he says!!!!!

I am trying to create this mount with zero, or near to zero damage to existing parts. So when I come sell the projector on it is still in A1 condition.

cheers

6. Gavin_Hall

Gavin_Hall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    In case anybody is remotely interested in the finished product, here are a few piccies :) For a total outlay of no more than £15 I've got myself a ceiling mount....well chuffed.

Oh the joys of getting the Projector up off the hi-fi cabinet... :)

[​IMG]

Just needed something to fill the hole in :eek:

So here is the finished product:-

[​IMG]

The light will be going when the room is re-decorated!!

cheers

Gavin

7. Kevin Harris

Kevin Harris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gavin,

Well done not much different to my idea except I think your screwed rod is much better then the tube I used to connect to the lugs on the base.

I think the plastic base is fine for the weight of the projector, I might be tempted just to look at the plastic for signs of stress every now and again.

I have just looked after 3 months and it shows no sign of weakness.

I am thinking you might want to drop the high of you projector a bit if you can to save you getting a crink in your neck when watching movies :)

Again well done

Kev

8. Gavin_Hall

Gavin_Hall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    Kevin,

I am pleased your setup hasn't shown any signs of stress on the plastic, I am going to keep an eye on it aswell just to be sure!!

The projector height would have been an issue normally, however, the ceiling where I have mounted it is actually about 1-1 foot lower than the main room, where the screen is. This is due to the projector being in part of the extension.

cheers

Gavin