Sony Centre

nickfrog

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Bizzare conversation with my local Sony Centre today. I was walking past it and it was so empty I felt sorry and came in for a chat. I asked if Sony were likely to launch Freesat equipped TVs. The guy said no because it was impossible to upgrade the cable, unlike an external box where you can use a high quality aftermarket cable. I highlighted that there would be no cable to start with if it's integrated and he became agitated...
Was he full of it or did he have a point ?

Its a common problem with "franchises"(the sales team are not employed by Sony) they imo have little knowledge of other bands on the market.
In addition to this Sony(not some invester like Victor electronics) now conduct mystery shop excercises to maintain a level of standard and ensure integrity as much as possible.

A cable is simply a data conduit, its goal being to keep the integrity of the signal as pure as possible betwen points a-b, so yes you are correct the shortest signal path or non at all,as in the Panasonic G10 etc is best.

Having said that i still prefer the seperate option but only because i need a high def recorder and would be paying out for nothing as i already have Sky hd.
Good news for free-sat/sky as ch5 are going HD soon in 2010:)

Hi,
Bizzare conversation with my local Sony Centre today. I was walking past it and it was so empty I felt sorry and came in for a chat. I asked if Sony were likely to launch Freesat equipped TVs. The guy said no because it was impossible to upgrade the cable, unlike an external box where you can use a high quality aftermarket cable. I highlighted that there would be no cable to start with if it's integrated and he became agitated...

Totally full of it - he's just guessing.

This may not be the case in general but from my experience with Sony Centre staff they tend to be quite clueless about the mchines they sell. I mean they know all the superficial technical language that would convince my grandad if he walked in but if you dig them deeper they start talking nonsense.

This may not be the case in general but from my experience with Sony Centre staff they tend to be quite clueless about the mchines they sell. I mean they know all the superficial technical language that would convince my grandad if he walked in but if you dig them deeper they start talking nonsense.

As i mentioned before ALL Sony centres are a francise so its luck of the draw whether you find someone with knowledge and genuine passion which is a shame as Sony are having enough troble financialy as is without these guys sending you to the multiples because they in some cases cant even find the motion tracking on the xross media bar,which was the experience i had.:suicide:

In addition to this Sony(not some invester like Victor electronics) now conduct mystery shop excercises to maintain a level of standard and ensure integrity as much as possible.

Sony have been doing mystery shops in Sony centres for many years now,at times even using a hidden camera's.Sony now have other brands along side their own when product training.I would much prefer to go to a Sony centre then put up with the rubbish ive been told in shops like currys/comet.On a whole Sony staff are alot better and more helpfull then the other shops.

Sony have been doing mystery shops in Sony centres for many years now,at times even using a hidden camera's.Sony now have other brands along side their own when product training.I would much prefer to go to a Sony centre then put up with the rubbish ive been told in shops like currys/comet.On a whole Sony staff are alot better and more helpfull then the other shops.

Hi there in your area that may me so, in my town its been a fairly new addition as again a Sony Centre is NOT a corperate division of Sony uk,dont forget the original post pointed out that incorrect information had been given out!

In my business i visit many dealers from the multiples to independents and on the whole Sony centres have not given accurate info regarding rival brands and have even had shrugged shoulder response to my simple comparison questions where as most the generalists(yes including the odd Currys.digital store,they are not all bad you know). that offer a multitude of brands have a far more balanced/accurate approach to the benefits of one brands model in relation to another.

What concerns me is when i asked my local Sony centre about its thoughts on reported backlight bleed they told me it was rubbish,had not heard of it,which i felt was an attempt to simply dismiss my genuine question ,where as both an independant and one multiple gave me accurate,honest feedback whilst promoting Sony still as a brand.

A long response i know but if a retailer is going to trade with an exclusive brand such as Sony all its employees should be 100% accurate and have a broad knowledge with the relative pros,cons of rival brands.:lesson:

I do realise that Sony Centres are independants and not related to Sony form an equity point of view. Onyl problem is, they bear the Sony logo so the public expect a lot more from them but quite clearly Sony have little control.
The way my local Sony centre is run is simply terrible. The staff are all very young, clueless and arrogant, and almost systematically on the PS3 when a customer comes in, which is not vey often. The shop is empty most of the time, which is not surprising.
I find the concept quite flawed, people like to compare brands. And their prices are so high.

Hi,

there should be range of sets out,Sept/Oct time with freesat:smashin:

oh and i work in a sony centre;)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom