Bargain Expired Sony centre direct refurbished store thread

I've been humming and harring for a couple of weeks now looking to buy my first TV.

I've decided that 50" is as large as my space will allow me to go and have upped my initial budget as I've researched the benefits.

Having been looking at the LG 49UM7400 for ~£350, I've now found the Sony refurb centre.
I don't really want to spend much more than £400 and want a TV decent for gaming primarily (only Xbox One S).

I'm after advice on if these TV's pictured are good value for money, the differences between them and if its worth waiting a month or 2 before buying a TV (If they drop in price?)
Any other advice will be well received

Thanks in advance

1594629555857.png

I've been humming and harring for a couple of weeks now looking to buy my first TV.

I've decided that 50" is as large as my space will allow me to go and have upped my initial budget as I've researched the benefits.

Having been looking at the LG 49UM7400 for ~£350, I've now found the Sony refurb centre.
I don't really want to spend much more than £400 and want a TV decent for gaming primarily (only Xbox One S).

I'm after advice on if these TV's pictured are good value for money, the differences between them and if its worth waiting a month or 2 before buying a TV (If they drop in price?)
Any other advice will be well received

Thanks in advance

View attachment 1333620
See: Which panel type should I choose for my TV?

If you are happy with the traits of VA, the XG83 higher spec than the other two. It uses a 120hz panel for better motion. The others are the same TVs, only with different software and they use 60hz IPS panels.

So if you choose which panel type you prefer, it makes your decision easier.

I would personally not upgrade to any of these models, and would save up for the Sony 49XG9005 instead, or if that is out of reach, keep what I have for another year and pick up a deal around this time next year on the new 49XH9505. Reasoning? You won't get a very future proof TV unless you buy one that has good local dimming and high enough peak brightness to use HDR. TVs cheaper don't make this cut, and therefore have picture quality issues with HDR such as the picture looking too dark or washed out. This is even more important if you are a gamer, as many titles now and in the future are in HDR.

See: Which panel type should I choose for my TV?

If you are happy with the traits of VA, the XG83 higher spec than the other two. It uses a 120hz panel for better motion. The others are the same TVs, only with different software and they use 60hz IPS panels.

So if you choose which panel type you prefer, it makes your decision easier.

I would personally not upgrade to any of these models, and would save up for the Sony 49XG9005 instead, or if that is out of reach, keep what I have for another year and pick up a deal around this time next year on the new 49XH9505. Reasoning? You won't get a very future proof TV unless you buy one that has good local dimming and high enough peak brightness to use HDR. TVs cheaper don't make this cut, and therefore have picture quality issues with HDR such as the picture looking too dark or washed out. This is even more important if you are a gamer, as many titles now and in the future are in HDR.

Thank you for such a comprehensive reply, top notch foruming sir.
I think I will create a new thread, provide some details and ask you for some recommendations so as not to dilute this thread.

Lots and lots of TVs on this morning, for those with urgent needs take a look...

26 TVs from 65xf9005 to latest 55a8 OLED

Lots and lots of TVs on this morning, for those with urgent needs take a look...

26 TVs from 65xf9005 to latest 55a8 OLED

Prices are 50-100 more than the historical lows at the top of the thread, KD-55A8 for £1199 could be added (no idea on value!!).

£799 for 65XF9005 is really a bargain however a bit too big for my lounge. Got a 55XG9505 though at £749 and paid £70 for extended 5 years warranty.

Do Sony Centre accept returns for refurbished TVs?
They sell refurbished TVs with the standard 1 year warranty. You can pay for extended warranties on top of that if you contact them.

As for returns, you would need to contact them for details. You can call your local centre store to ask if you buy one, if you can return it there. But I think like most stores nowadays any return will be centralised, with a pickup arranged and the TVs being returned to a service centre.

They’re currently trying to sell a refurb 55AF8 for £200 more than a brand new 55AG8 (ao.com price)? :nono:

Be careful. It appears that even Sony will try and rip you off.

They’re currently trying to sell a refurb 55AF8 for £200 more than a brand new 55AG8 (ao.com price)? :nono:

I think I'd sooner buy from the Sony Centre than AO. You'll be able to hangle Sony down via the phone on that price I'm sure and get a 5 year warranty.

Last edited:

Yep, they have the odd lemon and they will be getting more 2020 stock too and the prices of the new stock tends not to be as good value. I'll keep this thread up permanently but you have to be aware of what is a good and bad deal. Usually the best time to buy from them is around spring each year as they have last years stock still.

Touched on already above but the the other thing to consider is a lot of people have actually been finding better deals by calling them, or even calling there local Sony centre, so you may have better luck with that. It's easy to get spoilt nowadays by how easy it is to click and order, but that doesn't always get you the very best deal.

I have my fingers crossed for a 49xg9005.......... Is it recommended to only go for grade A refurbs from Sony by the way?

Is it recommended to only go for grade A refurbs from Sony by the way?
I'm not sure I've seen B stock, but if it is it will be cosmetic scratches or damage, probably not noticeable I imagine. You are protected with the same return period as buying new though.

Duno if worth waiting for black Friday for 2020 model if it much better?

I called a local store who have a grade a 49xf9005 refurb but with the 5 year warranty and delivery i£735.

Duno if worth waiting for black Friday for 2020 model if it much better?

I called a local store who have a grade a 49xf9005 refurb but with the 5 year warranty and delivery i£735.

Not worth it,may as well get a new one for £799

Is the 2020 model significantly better do you think? I'd be using it 70% for gaming...

I got the 65xg9505 for 899 with 5 year warranty on top just keep your eye on the site then when you see it have a live chat and ask if anything they can do on price. They will probably say ring this number then just haggle with person on the line.

I got the 65xg9505 for 899 with 5 year warranty on top just keep your eye on the site then when you see it have a live chat and ask if anything they can do on price. They will probably say ring this number then just haggle with person on the line.

What was the original price before you started haggling :) ?

Is the 2020 model significantly better do you think? I'd be using it 70% for gaming...
The 49XF9005 and XG9005 are the same TV more or less. The newer one has more up to date pre-installed software but the specs down to the bone are the same. Since you can get the 49XG9005 for not much extra new I'm not sure why you'd pay as much as that for a refurb. You may be able to negotiate though.

70% gaming has no impact on your choice. If you want a better TV for gaming than the 49XG9005 consider the new and more expensive 49XH9505.

TheKD49XG9005BU
is i£854 which includes delivery at richer sounds. I
The 49XF9005 and XG9005 are the same TV more or less. The newer one has more up to date pre-installed software but the specs down to the bone are the same. Since you can get the 49XG9005 for not much extra new I'm not sure why you'd pay as much as that for a refurb. You may be able to negotiate though.

70% gaming has no impact on your choice. If you want a better TV for gaming than the 49XG9005 consider the new and more expensive 49XH9505.

How is the XH9505 better? By the way, is input lag circa 20ms accros all 3 tv's,?

And the XH9505 doesn't have allm I believe. So I'd have to manually turn on gaming mode everytime I put on the Xbox? Not a major issue but definitely a small pain in the ass lol

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom