Bargain Expired Sony centre direct refurbished store thread

This says IPS
I looked at the Sony site and it has a .A after it, so assume it's the A grade spec.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200619_141347.jpg
    Screenshot_20200619_141347.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 290
This says IPS
I looked at the Sony site and it has a .A after it, so assume it's the A grade spec.
Great - thank you.

Has anyone purchased from Sony Centre Refurbished am looking at a Grade A product, but not sure to take the plunge as it may have been repaired or missing the original box.

Any views from someone who has purchased from them?

Thanks

Has anyone purchased from Sony Centre Refurbished am looking at a Grade A product, but not sure to take the plunge as it may have been repaired or missing the original box.

Any views from someone who has purchased from them?

Thanks
I bought a 65" XG9505 from them before COVID-19 kicked off. TV arrived in its original box (slightly scruffy), with internal retail packaging and a new unopened remote and TV stand legs. No complaints, delivery process was fine, kept informed via email/text. I also paid extra with the Swansea shop for the 5 year's warranty.

How was the television in itself like screen wise? I can get extended warranty for 3 or 4 years..

I have had a bad time purchasing refurbed products in past like blu Ray players off Panasonic outlet. So now a little sceptical.

I've had a XE9305 I bought as a refurb from a Sony Centre for about 18 months now.

Box had obviously been opened previously and the manuals, cables etc removed and repacked but other than that it was as good as new.

Screen was perfect, TV had no marks on it, stand hadn't been opened.

I would make sure you can get on with the Android OS beforehand though.

I've used Android a fair bit and it's fine on phones and tablets, but IMO it's probably the worst of the TV OS's that I've used.

Last edited:
I've had a XE9305 I bought as a refurb form a Sony Centre for about 18 months now.

Box had obviously been opened previously and the manuals, cables etc removed and repacked but other than that it was as good as new.

Screen was perfect, TV had no marks on it, stand hadn't been opened.

I would make sure you can get on with the Android OS beforehand though.

I've used Android a fair bit and it's fine on phones and tablets, but IMO it's probably the worst of the TV OS's that I've used.
Its a television with Android.

So you recommend against it?

I am otherwise looking at brand new Hisense QLED with the 50" released in UK in next 2 weeks.

I recommend trying one if you've no experience of Android.

All Sony TV's have Android. Some people think it's awful, I'm used to Android so I can get on with it but compared to Samsungs or LG's OS it's poor IMO.

So think the 49" XG9005 is a bargain at 599. Grade A.

Can buy extended warranty for 3 years for extra £40

I don't think it will come down in price more than this. It's a 2018 model and for the cost it would take to make the TVs I am sure the refurbished models are selling for far less.

The 55" XF9005 seems in your budget, perhaps you could buy the TV now and add a warranty later? Best talk to the Sony centre about that though.

You still get the standard 1 year anyway. Which is all the warranty Sony give to their new TVs. Of course there's no extra 4-5 years on top, but those are store promotional warranties. Not manufacturer.
Hello.

The 49" XG9005 is on there now which is very tempting? Is the £599 price worth it? As in shops new its now £789 cheapest.

Thanks

Hello.

The 49" XG9005 is on there now which is very tempting? Is the £599 price worth it? As in shops new its now £789 cheapest.

Thanks
Yes, definitely snap it up for your usage.

Hello.

Thanks
Check Costco in store if you can, I'm sure the 55 was on offer for about £640 when I was in last week. I was tempted to buy it but it just doesn't suit my usage

Edit - In fact ignore me, it was the xf that was on offer

I recommend trying one if you've no experience of Android.

All Sony TV's have Android. Some people think it's awful, I'm used to Android so I can get on with it but compared to Samsungs or LG's OS it's poor IMO.
This Android OS is beginning to put me off Sony. As all my devices are Apple I don’t know how I’d get on with Android. My son has a Samsung TV and that looks pretty smooth.

This Android OS is beginning to put me off Sony. As all my devices are Apple I don’t know how I’d get on with Android. My son has a Samsung TV and that looks pretty smooth.
The implementation of Android TV is quite different from Android phones. They can't be compared really.

If you use Apple products you may get along better with Samsung's LCD TVs instead as they have Airplay support and the Apple+ app included.

But you won't find the same value for money with their TVs as you will with the Sony's as they have no refurb store. To give you an example. The Sony 55" XF9005 which sells for around £550 refurbished is about the same in spec as the Samsung Q70R. That TV is going to set you back around £800 new.

Granted the Sony XF9005 is also more expensive when you buy it new, but you musn't think by going with a different LCD TV other than these Sony refurbs you are going to get a comparable TV new for the kind of prices their TVs are selling for here.

But that is why its a bargain thread, its really about getting a higher end product at budget level prices...and of course this is an enthusiast AV forum where people usually value things such as future proofing and picture quality above other factors.

The implementation of Android TV is quite different from Android phones. They can't be compared really.

If you use Apple products you may get along better with Samsung's LCD TVs instead as they have Airplay support and the Apple+ app included.

But you won't find the same value for money with their TVs as you will with the Sony's as they have no refurb store. To give you an example. The Sony 55" XF9005 which sells for around £550 refurbished is about the same in spec as the Samsung Q70R. That TV is going to set you back around £800 new.

Granted the Sony XF9005 is also more expensive when you buy it new, but you musn't think by going with a different LCD TV other than these Sony refurbs you are going to get a comparable TV new for the kind of prices their TVs are selling for here.

But that is why its a bargain thread, its really about getting a higher end product at budget level prices...and of course this is an enthusiast AV forum where people usually value things such as future proofing and picture quality above other factors.

Fully appreciate the purpose of this thread. In fact I purchased a 49XG9005 (£479) back in early March, however, I was unlucky and got a fairly old set (more than 12 months old) and DOA. Wouldn’t power-up and had a damaged screen. Then due to the ‘lock down’ they wouldn’t collect it for the best part of three months. As a goodwill gesture they are offering me a new replacement for £750 (not brilliant) but no discount on the 49XH9505. I was attracted towards the XH in the belief I was future proofing myself.

My two previous TV (Both Sony) each lasted 10 years so, whilst it may be unrealistic, I’m expecting 6+ years from this one. By the way my room arrangement can’t accommodate anything greater than 50”.

I realise my experience was rare but I’ve decided to pay extra for new.

Fully appreciate the purpose of this thread. In fact I purchased a 49XG9005 (£479) back in early March, however, I was unlucky and got a fairly old set (more than 12 months old) and DOA. Wouldn’t power-up and had a damaged screen. Then due to the ‘lock down’ they wouldn’t collect it for the best part of three months. As a goodwill gesture they are offering me a new replacement for £750 (not brilliant) but no discount on the 49XH9505. I was attracted towards the XH in the belief I was future proofing myself.

My two previous TV (Both Sony) each lasted 10 years so, whilst it may be unrealistic, I’m expecting 6+ years from this one. By the way my room arrangement can’t accommodate anything greater than 50”.

I realise my experience was rare but I’ve decided to pay extra for new.
Yeah I appreciate and remember that. I just wanted to make sure that you didn't think going for a Samsung new at similar kind of prices to a refurbish here is going to net you a better overall TV.

Another problem with Samsung is if you are shopping less than 55" in size. They only do 60hz panels on their smaller TVs :(

Yeah I appreciate and remember that. I just wanted to make sure that you didn't think going for a Samsung new at similar kind of prices to a refurbish here is going to net you a better overall TV.

Another problem with Samsung is if you are shopping less than 55" in size. They only do 60hz panels on their smaller TVs :(
Thanks again for your input. With a new ‘XG’ price pretty close to the latest ‘XH‘ I may just hold out for further reductions on the latter as it appears to have a significant edge on the XG.

Thanks again for your input. With a new ‘XG’ price pretty close to the latest ‘XH‘ I may just hold out for further reductions on the latter as it appears to have a significant edge on the XG.
Yeah the new XH9005 is looking like it will be a best buy when its price comes down some more. It should replace the XG9005/XF9005 and have similar performance, but the real boon is the promised HDMI 2.1 support which I hope surfaces soon.

Yeah the new XH9005 is looking like it will be a best buy when its price comes down some more. It should replace the XG9005/XF9005 and have similar performance, but the real boon is the promised HDMI 2.1 support which I hope surfaces soon.
Do you know if at 49” it’s going to be XH9505 but XH9005 at other sizes ?

The XH9505 which is sold at 49" will be more or less the same picture quality but doesn't have promised HDMI 2.1 ports.

The XH9005 will not be sold at 49" like the XF9005/XG9005 were.

Grabbed a KD49XG8396 for £429 today - obviously no 9005 but that ship has sailed for another year in terms of pricing.

After enquiring via Live Chat, I called them and got a 5 year extended warranty (which was explained to me as 1+5 years - not sure if that is right) for £70 after mentioning that others on this thread had secured the same (had originally been quoted £40 for 3, £60 for 4 or £90 for 5 years).

As expected, the rep wasn't able to confirm whather the 49" was a VA panel instead of IPS - but here's hoping!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom